Whats In Your Name?

RizbIT

So whats in a name?

Is it really that important?

If Martin Luther King had a different name would he still have achieved what he did?

if Facebook was called FriendsBook or FaceMates would it still be as popular and would you still use it?

If Twitter was called ChirpFeeds would it still be as popular?

Is there any research into this, there are lots successful companies that have two syllables in the name, like
Micro - Soft
Face - Book
Goo - Gle
Twit - Ter
In - Tel

pixeltroid

So whats in a name?

Is it really that important?

If Martin Luther King had a different name would he still have achieved what he did?

if Facebook was called FriendsBook or FaceMates would it still be as popular and would you still use it?

If Twitter was called ChirpFeeds would it still be as popular?

Is there any research into this, there are lots successful companies that have two syllables in the name, like
Micro - Soft
Face - Book
Goo - Gle
Twit - Ter
In - Tel
Companies spend a lot of time and effort when it comes to creating a brand name.

The name needs to have a ring to it, be memorable and sound catchy. It needs to just roll off the tongue. So yes, they usually go for names that have 2 or 3 syllables.

A name is just a name, but sometimes using the right name is what brings the attention. For instance, I know a friend of mine who had a father who started a bakery that that sold bags of scones. The name of the company is called Scone Henge ( AFAIK ) , based off the name of site in UK called Stonehenge (sp?). I shared the name with one of my brothers, and his complaint was that the name reminded him of stones. Therefore, his impression was that the scones were made out of stones. Actually the scones that my friend's father sold, tasted so good, it made all the other scones Ive had , taste like dog food. This is because the scones my friends father produced, tasted like biscuits, shaped round. At most bakeries that I have gotten scones from are triangular shaped, and have had a dry taste with raisins, even with butter spread on them. Too bad my friend's father shut down the business because of his business partner.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
bob- ross
morgan- freeman
calli-flower

yep its true guys two syllables make you famous

D

DarthTenebris

I mean... I would still play Minecraft if it had a different name, but I think I've seen enough clones of the game that have names that just don't sound right.

Windows was going to be called Interface Manager, but then Microsoft changed their mind, and called it Windows instead. I think as a software it would be just as good, personally I don't really bother what you call your app, but it might influence people's perceptions and therefore their willingness to buy the product.

Titanic was a ship that sank back in the 20th century, and even though it has 3 syllables, it's pretty famous.

So... names do affect acceptance by the public, but you don't need a specific name to be remembered by the public.