• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Whats easyer, GMnet Enige or Multiplayer Add-on from Marketplace when having no knowldge/experience?

jobjorgos

Hello! I want to make my current RPG project in GM:S 1.4 to be (WAN) online multiplayer, where everyone that plays the game gets in the same open world server. I have zero experience and not much knowledge in this, so I was wondering which method would be easyer.

Option 1: https://gmnet-engine.org/

Option 2: Multiplayer Add-on for YoYoRPG on the Marketplace. (gonna use it for my project instead of YoYoRPG).

Which of these 2 options would be easyer and quicker? I dont mind the 37 dollar cost of the marketplace add-on. Most important for me that it is easy. Might anybody witht experience with gmnet enige or the multiplayer add-on? It is usable for other projects than the YoYoRPG also?

Simon Gust

With no knowledge of multiplayer / Networking, I really suggest not using any of those and learn it yourself.
As so, even if you have a fish, you are still going to starve if you don't learn how to fish.

jobjorgos

With no knowledge of multiplayer / Networking, I really suggest not using any of those and learn it yourself.
As so, even if you have a fish, you are still going to starve if you don't learn how to fish.
hmm that sounds indeed truee.... but why reinvent the wheel? If we want to learn everthing in life we would not have enough time to do that I guess :p

My main goal is to get my project finished as quick as possible, I think if I start in learning how it works to let a game work online that the project will delay too much

Carbon

hmm that sounds indeed truee.... but why reinvent the wheel? If we want to learn everthing in life we would not have enough time to do that I guess :p

My main goal is to get my project finished as quick as possible, I think if I start in learning how it works to let a game work online that the project will delay too much
The problem is, you doing this isn't equivalent to a statement of 'reinventing the wheel'..

Rather than giving a carpenter proper machines and full set of tools to build a house, it's more like giving a 5 year old those tools and tell him to exactly build what the carpenter would.

'reinventing the wheel' would be giving a carpenter a hammer and a couple of wodden planks and tell him to build a house.

No, you won't. You won't even come close to finishing it. Me and tons other here will want to bet about that. Heck, doing something like an online multiplayer tetris battle already sounds too big for any single-person experienced dev to handle. But online RPG seriously? It's already hard to build the offline counterpart, now you have to deal with these constant server issues yourself. Not to mention you know nothing about these things yet.

Relic

I’m of the opinion that it’s fine to not reinvent the wheel. Heck, we all use gamemaker here and (99% of us) have not, nor could not, build an engine from scratch to the same caliber in a reasonable time. I’ve just started making use of a fluid dynamics asset- took me 2 hours to manipulate the original code to do exactly what I needed. Working from scratch? Well I’d spend a day learning about the physics of fluid dynamics and probably a week implementing it. That’s time away from the core development and design of the “actual” game.

That’s not to say working it out for yourself does not have it’s advantages too- previous replies are spot on in that regard. But how far can we go without formal training? I’ve looked at a few networking tutorials but switch off each time it starts with “you will need to open port number X”- that’s not commercially acceptable.

Sorry this doesn’t help you jobjorgous, but this question is also relevant to me atm so I’m following with interest.

jobjorgos

I can mention that the add-on only works for YoYo RPG engine. You can't take a piece of a puzzle and expect it to fit it in different puzzle.
Ah oke thanks for saying that, very good to know that!
And indeed what you say with the puzzle piece, thats what I was doubting also.

jobjorgos

The problem is, you doing this isn't equivalent to a statement of 'reinventing the wheel'..

Rather than giving a carpenter proper machines and full set of tools to build a house, it's more like giving a 5 year old those tools and tell him to exactly build what the carpenter would.

'reinventing the wheel' would be giving a carpenter a hammer and a couple of wodden planks and tell him to build a house.
Hmm yeah acctually you are right there. Its not really reinventing the wheel, but more like a carpenter that doesnot know how his modern tools work.

No, you won't. You won't even come close to finishing it. Me and tons other here will want to bet about that. Heck, doing something like an online multiplayer tetris battle already sounds too big for any single-person experienced dev to handle. But online RPG seriously? It's already hard to build the offline counterpart, now you have to deal with these constant server issues yourself. Not to mention you know nothing about these things yet.
Well I think you're a bit too pessimistic there. Indeed alot of projects, and espially ONLINE and RPG projects will require years of discipline and alot of time and is almost a mission impossible, espially when doing most things of the project on your own like me.
Im sure if you might had more spare time and more will power, your multiplayer tetris battle game could have been finished.
Im already spent avarage 15 hours each week for 2 years long now in my current RPG online project which also still need atleast 1 more year to complete. I didn't choose to take a fulltime job but I work parttime so I will still be able to work on my game on a good speed. Its really though and the big amount of work still to do is sometimes really not encouraging. But if you just keep slowly build brick by brick it will surerly complete at some time.
Also other huge projects like the the Golden Bridge in America required the men there to be extremly patienced and build brick by brick, and after some years it finally completed while the one who started the project had serveral huge setbacks and serveral times that he lost hope in his project.