GameMaker What's an easy way to have the current time displayed.

O

OriginalGrim

I want to program a clock like the one on a computer that runs in military time and will automatically adjust to whatever the time is set on the computer it's played on, What's an easy way to accomplish this?

Another thing besides this is a timer that keeps track of total play time (not just since it has been booted up but since new game was started).

Posh Indie

That Guy
just replying with a a link to a lot of data I'd have to sift through is not helpful at all.
And having @FrostyCat do all your research for you and spoon feed you a solution is not fair to them. If that link is not helpful, you have a lot more to learn before tackling any projects (It is the official documentation, after all).

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Honestly, there is not as much "data" to "sift" through as you might think. If you even took a look at it you would see that. You are just being lazy at this point.

samspade

just replying with a a link to a lot of data I'd have to sift through is not helpful at all.
Or to put it another way, forum answers generally take the form of the original post. Your original post included no code and nothing beyond a very general question. So the answer was a very general pointer to the place that would help you.

Someone might come along and for the fun of it, give you a more detailed answer, essentially coding things for you. So waiting is an option. But another choice would be to take the first step and try coding it yourself, then after getting as far as you can, posting your code and asking for feedback, at which point you would almost certainly get another response with more direction.

If you don't like links with lots of data, this might not be very helpful, but it does appear to do what you want it to. Or at least close enough that you could figure out how to make it do what you want.

https://yal.cc/gamemaker-formatted-date-output/

G

Guitarmike

When someone takes even a little time to find a link and post it for you, I think an appropriate response would be "thanks" - even if it's not what you were looking for.

Having said that, to continue Posh Indie's thought about give a fish/teach to fish, I think it's easy to become too reliant on forums like this to do the hard work of solving programming problems. Programming inevitably involves digging through manuals, forum posts, and websites to find the answer to whatever obscure problem you happen to be dealing with at the time. And then it happens again. And again. And again. If you're always relying on the forums to solve these issues, it will slow down your development time. Better to be empowered by feeling confident in going out and researching the answer on your own.

I opened the link and it took all of 10 seconds to find what you were looking for. I'm not sure where "sifting of data" was involved.

If FrostyCat really wanted to be unhelpful, he would have just written what I suspect many here were thinking: "RTFM."