What would be your dream features for GMS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro2427

If we were to ever get Studio 3 or another major overhaul to GMS2 what would you want to see in it? No matter how outlandish your suggestion may be. Mine would definitely be:

-Native video support
-A more advanced text renderer
-Declarable data types

And if we're talking stuff that would probably absolutely never happen, more robust 3D would be an absolute dream come true!

Definitely 2d Skeleton animation. If GMS3 had its own solution, or they integrated Spine, or worked it out such that a license in one included the other, that would be the bomb. Fingers crossed, maybe that is what they are working towards with the sequences? But sequences seem to lack a lot of functionality, such as applying shaders, and each having to be on its own sequence layer.

If I had to pick only one: a real input system.
Anything involving making the user type something is way more complicated than it should be.
When C++ is simpler than GML, I can safely say we have a big problem here.

A button that says "Make Dream Game"
The only possible solution for that is to work our *** off and make that the export button ;)

Well one of the things that GMS does not have which languages like C or C++ have, is user defined libraries ( e.g. #include "mycode.h" ), that can be included in game projects, so that instead of re-inventing the wheel in every game that you write ( by copy & pasting the same code from a text editor ).

The second thing that GMS needs is audio effects (e.g. flanger, reverb, echo, and etc ) and the means to control them, so that sound samples can be manipulated via gml ( or D&D ) to fit the atmosphere of the game genre with out having to use multiple recordings of the same sound sample using different combinations of sound effects ( which could be numerous ) for each defined event in the game.

These are the two ideas that come to my mind.... I am sure I have others....

rIKmAN

Definitely 2d Skeleton animation. If GMS3 had its own solution, or they integrated Spine, or worked it out such that a license in one included the other, that would be the bomb. Fingers crossed, maybe that is what they are working towards with the sequences?
You know that Spine is already supported right?
They've also said that sequences are not going to be replacing Spine and that the update to support v4.0 of Spine will released as soon as Esoteric bring the v4.0 runtimes out of beta.
-A more advanced text renderer
Not native, but in the meantime check out Scribble by Juju.
I really want some way to use multiple threads. I'd be happy if it was just a main thread and a second thread even.
Again not native, but in the meantime check out YYCOverwrite by kraifpatrick.
Well one of the things that GMS does not have which languages like C or C++ have, is user defined libraries ( e.g. #include "mycode.h" ), that can be included in game projects, so that instead of re-inventing the wheel in every game that you write ( by copy & pasting the same code from a text editor ).
You shouldn't be copy pasting code from a text editor into every project - use Local Asset Packages to re-use code and resources between projects with a few clicks.

For me, I'd like to see fully supported native isometric support in the IDE at some point.

GamerXP

- Ability to expend IDE with custom inspectors/editors/fields
- Functions that allow to edit original texture pages in runtime
- Editor scripts that will allow to automatically generate some data right in the editor, before even starting the game

Status
Not open for further replies.