what would be the right way to create a "room"

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The size of the "room" is pretty much irrelevant, tbh! It's the size of the CAMERA and the viewport that are important, and those will depend on the target platform, and the style of the game. Targetting PC is not the same as targetting mobile, and making a low res pixel art game is not the same as making a 1080p vector art game. So, a bit more info would be great, then we can give you better advice. :)

john2342152

I want to do a side scrolling with more worked sprites because, square lol, would have a code or somewhere to learn the game camera professionally, when I say professional it's a code that doesn't break easily, and this "game" is for PC

Last edited:

gkri

I want to do a side scrolling with more worked sprites because, square lol, would have a code or somewhere to learn the game camera professionally, when I say professional it's a code that doesn't break easily
It is up to you to decide. Either you learn how to implement camera, thus, winning knowledge or use a ready solution and instead re-inventing the wheel, you focus on other aspects of your game. Either way is a win!

Just note that the resolution manager will just give you a basic camera. Beyond this point you will have to implement any additional camera functionality.

Room size is kind of the size of the 'world', or 'map'. It can be as small or as big as you want.
How 'zoomed-in' your camera is, and what the camera 'sees' is not tied to the size of that.
Think of it as an actual camera filming an actual world, it's really the easiest way to figure it.
A platformer usually have much larger room width than room height.

john2342152

I used the simple camera tool, it helped a lot, but the camera scroll looks like a sprite blur in my eye, would you guys know why? I used 1366x768 for testing, to follow the character in the center of the screen I put 683 Horizontal 128 Vertical.

Attachments

TheouAegis

You get blur because your monitor is LCD or LED, not CRT. also you are using high contrast graphics right now. once you actually apply a background, the blurring will change. as it is, even when your picture is static like that, it's giving me a headache to look at because the contrast is so horrible.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
This is called "ghosting" and is common with high-contrast graphics like this. Basically, on any LCD screen, the "pixels" are actually tiny lights that have to witch on and off constantly to change the colour and brightness. This switching takes time (although a tiny amount), but the higher the contrast, the bigger the difference between the On state and the Off state and the longer it takes to switch between the two. This causes "motion blur" or "ghosting". Read this for more info: