Graphics What visual effects can be bad for player's eyes?

Silverfire

Hi, I was wondering if certain visual effects in particular can be bad for the player's eyes? I know that flashing lights can trigger epilepsy to some individuals and staring at a screen for extended periods of time can be bad in general. I'm thinking about effects that can be tiring or give a heachache after short sessions (10-15 mins).

The game I am currently creating involve a blurry screen effect that is often active. I don't really have an issue while testing the game myself beside the fact my eyes seem to force a bit more than usual when trying to focus on the action, but I am worried this might affect some other players and turn them off from the game.

Regardless, if I stick with keeping the blur effect in my game, I will have a warning at the beginning of the game that suggest to the players that they take short breaks every 15 minutes and look away from the screen occasionally.

Thanks.

Niels

just get a few playtesters, and get sone feedback about your blur effect.

I know that a lot of people have problems with (overuse of) motion blur in 3D games

B

Blazing

Too much rapid screen movement and too much contrast will give me a headache quickly.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I've a got a close photosensitive friend, and from what I've learned thought us watching a lot of horror game LPs together:
  • Fades are safe, even if they're quick. Changing color instantly from one frame to another is much worse.
  • The contrast of flashes is important. Going from black to white instantly hurts, for instance, but also from red to blue and such. The title screen from A Link To The Past is NOT safe, for instance.
  • Sustained flashing is MUCH worse than one-shot flashes. Another thing the aLttP title screen is awful at, and the infamous Porygon episode from Pokemon that got banned.
  • The bigger the flashing area, and the more details there are that flashes, the worse the effect is.

RangerX

People can also be affected by "patterns". When high contrast, hue contrast. Look at those image, you can even swear something moves or flashes. So you want avoid those types of patterns in videogames. I don't know how to express it well and I know its not the case at end here but just for general info on the subject of this thread, its useful to know.

EDIT:

hahaha, if you want an actual collection of what to avoid, google this and you'll get served: "pattern illusions". Now if you epileptic you don't want to google that an die ok?