Discussion What unusual or obsolete platforms would you like GMS2 to support? (Fantasize)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

What unusual or obsolete platforms would you like GMS2 to support? (Fantasize)

No, you can't say something like Nintendo Switch, because everyone wants that and it would be like preaching to the choir. (Ok due to the popularity of the subject you may talk about the Switch too but please don't alter this topic into another Switch-only discussion)

Here's some examples of what you could say however:

-Sony PSP
-Sony PSVita
-Sony PSM
-Apple tvOS
-Apple watchOS
-Oracle Solaris
-Google ChromeOS
-Nintendo Gamecube
-Nintendo Gameboy
-Nintendo GBC
-Nintendo GBA
-Nintendo DS
-Nintendo 3DS
-Sega Genesis
-Sega Gamegear
-Sega Dreamcast
-Nintendo NES
-Nintendo SNES
-Nintendo N64
-Microsoft Xbox
-Microsoft XBox360
-Sony PS3
-Sony PS2
-Sony PS1
-Commodore64
-Atari 2600
-FreeBSD
-Blah blah blah you get the idea. Anything that GMS2 does not support.

Be sure to explain or discuss what would be cool about being able to port your GMS2 game(s) to the platform(s) you choose to mention.

I'd like to see tvOS and watchOS is personally, because those platforms are still being supported by Apple and they are a nice way to get some exposure because there aren't many people who develop for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kobold

The funny thing is that it is somehow coming back.... retro-knock-off consoles are being sold like free candies. People start making YouTube Tutorials on how to build a game for retro hardware (I mean this is nothing new... but worth mentioning). It's like music, timeless.

I would be choosing "Super Nintendo, Sega DreamCast, Nintendo 64, Sony PS1, Sony PS2, Microsoft Xbox"

Edit: Totally forgot to mention "why"... I think that there is a market for this since it is getting more and more popular to buy these retro-knock-off's which are HDMI capable and what not

S

Sam (Deleted User)

lol yeah I know I actually have 2 knock off sega genesis, one for the tv and one portable.

The tv one can play the original cartridges, the portable can play roms off an sd card. Both have like 80 games built-in.

Ladi_Pix3l

hmmm I was really curious on how people made homebrew games. I know its not legal but something I thought was interesting

S

Sam (Deleted User)

hmmm I was really curious on how people made homebrew games. I know its not legal but something I thought was interesting
I'm pretty sure it is legal, it just depends on what console/handheld we're talking. And whether or not you intend to sell your work. If you try to sell it, that would probably make it illegal either way. I know a ton of people seem to get away with making nintendo DS homebrew and wiibrew. Whether or not it's legal I'm not sure. My guess is that Nintendo doesn't really care unless it is being sold. But I really don't know.

Chaser

Oh my days, Sega megadrive all day long for me!, but would do all if I could. I do not think it’s illegal to do the home brew stuff, I think what it comes down to is the SDK’s that are used as part of the development kits which have loads of proprietary stuff which you end up being bound to, so do something against that and their kick off, but most homebrew devs I think work around not using them at all so they can’t be touched, at the end of the day not sure they can do anything to someone if they own the own retro console and decide the ‘modify’ to there needs, even create games for it. In my opinion, for what it’s worth.:)

Ladi_Pix3l

Probably in the works but I want to export my games to Raspberry Pi. Especially for the small pixel art project lying around the forum.

I certainly would purchase that export. It's like a place for low spec games to run on lol

T

Thunder Lion

I wish I could export games into game maker via my imagination....Mark Overmor please add this feature

F

FROGANUS

would love to burn a GM game onto a dreamcast disc.
weren't they supposed to be easy to copy?

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
That would be possible to do actually. The Dreamcast has an old version of Windows on it, so I believe it has uber basic DirectX too.
I think it would run terribly because the Dreamcast processor is only 200MHz, but it is POSSIBLE.

M

Misu

No, you can't say something like Nintendo Switch, because everyone wants that and it would be like preaching to the choir.
Your reason is highly discriminating. Its like an insult that offended me. You DO know that there are better ways to avoid having this thread become another locked Switch debate without excluding the console itself.

If you really want to exclude it so badly then at least the most polite way of saying it would be "We all know we love the Switch but aside from that, what other consoles you would love and dream on exporting with GMS2? Here are my examples..."

Anyway, what I would love to make games for are everything Nintendo related (including the Switch) because I heart Nintendo; it is what was born for. Not gonna say anything more.

Except for the CDi...

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Your reason is highly discriminating. Its like an insult that offended me. You DO know that there are better ways to avoid having this thread become another locked Switch debate without excluding the console itself.

If you really want to exclude it so badly then at least the most polite way of saying it would be "We all know we love the Switch but aside from that, what other consoles you would love and dream on exporting with GMS2? Here are my examples..."

Anyway, what I would love to make games for are everything Nintendo related (including the Switch) because I heart Nintendo; it is what was born for. Not gonna say anything more.

Except for the CDi...
There is nothing wrong, rude, or impolite with how I put that. I'm sorry you got offended, but that is an awfully strange thing to get offended by. I'm scratching my head right now trying to comprehend if there is any meaning in your post, other than you just want to talk about the Switch and get another thread locked.

If we discussed the Switch here, the topic would be dominated. It wouldn't be the same discussion anymore. It would be just another thread of people complaining because they don't have a Switch export. YoYoGames shouldn't be harassed about such things. For all we know they are already making it, and telling them how badly we want it and rubbing that in their face will just make them rush their work and potentially release another extremely buggy and unfinished export module, (you know, before it's ready?) I can't imagine the emotional pressure they must be under. They work their butts off. I can't imagine being in their shoes, especially with a team of their size compared to the size of the teams of who they compete against. Let's be patient, shall we? :)

M

Misu

There is nothing wrong, rude, or impolite with how I put that. I'm sorry you got offended, but that is an awfully strange thing to get offended by. I'm scratching my head right now trying to comprehend if there is any meaning in your post, other than you just want to talk about the Switch and get another thread locked.

If we discussed the Switch here, the topic would be dominated. It wouldn't be the same discussion anymore. It would be just another thread of people complaining because they don't have a Switch export. YoYoGames shouldn't be harassed about such things. For all we know they are already making it, and telling them how badly we want it and rubbing that in their face will just make them rush their work and potentially release another extremely buggy and unfinished export module, (you know, before it's ready?) I can't imagine the emotional pressure they must be under. They work their butts off. I can't imagine being in their shoes, especially with a team of their size compared to the size of the teams of who they compete against. Let's be patient, shall we? :)
Oh I wasnt saying we should talk about the Switch. I was saying it doesnt have to be excluded since its an option as well that fits with your list and nobody has to emphasize or discuss about it. Its just mentioning the why for every category you provide but that is pretty much it. Anything transitioning to a wrong route can be prevented by bending the way how you norm the thread you started.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Glad I misunderstood you. As long the topic doesn't transform into another Switch topic, I don't see why it can't be discussed too in moderation. (I don't know why I was so harsh earlier, I think my panties were in a bunch).

S

Smarty

I'm a bit late to respond, but that's what seems to happen in 8-bit aficionado communities very often. Particular example is Yoomp! made for the Atari 8-bit computer line by people who once occupied the demo scene when that machine was still hot. When 8-bit machine language was already arcane knowledge, they created a game that by graphical standards (a semi 3D projection) would have blown any other game out of the waters in the platform's heyday.

They went all the way - rather than just run the game on an emulator, they wanted to run on the original device. The Atari computer had a cartridge slot, so they went ahead and got into all sorts of technical challenges creating a late 70's style hardware cartridge with a game-on-a-chip. Most of that technology is already deprecated, if not extinct.

Also, it was actually an extremely good game for the hardware it was made on. Great in-game chip music, too.