What tutorial should i use to get started !!!

Y

yutdev

please help i ma new to game maker and i am enjoying the community but i don't know how to get started what tutorial should i start with i don't want to be overwhelmed
thank you :)

rIKmAN

Try something simple like the official Space Rocks tutorial which can be found in the IDE at startup.
It has versions for both GML and DnD so pick the one that you prefer and take your time with it.

Not advised by YYG as per todays updated Release Notes, see my next post instead.

Last edited:

chamaeleon

Keep in mind that tutorials are not a substitute for reading the manual carefully, especially if you don't have much other programming knowledge to fall back on.

Try to hit every official Yoyo 2.3+ tutorials before going out in the Youtube tutorials wilderness. You'll me much better off starting with stuff you KNOW works 100% and is "endorsed" officially.
You can download and access them directly from GameMaker itself, it's pretty cool.
Scratch that last part, as per the post below, which I was not aware of!

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Just seen this in todays Release Notes, so scratch my previous comment about using the in-IDE (ie. Start Page) tutorials and follow this advice instead:
  • https://www.yoyogames.com/en/tutorials is our newly-updated and expanded website dedicated to tutorials and other learning resources, which allows filtering by proficiency level and also by the topics you're interested in

• Please note that we do not recommend continuing to use our old Start Page/Marketplace tutorials in 2.3.2+ IDEs, as these will have formatting issues and some problems with links to videos - these old assets will be removed from the Marketplace in future

LanceCS

Like Chamaeleon said, definitely read the manual. It's very helpful and has a lot of information you'll need. I'd also recommend youtuber Shaun Spalding. He has a lot of videos for beginners that are very helpful and explanatory. He kinda walks you through the basics and explains the code in a way that's understandable to newcomers. I'd start with his complete platformer tutorial series. That's how I started.

Shaun's complete platformer:

Like Chamaeleon said, definitely read the manual. It's very helpful and has a lot of information you'll need. I'd also recommend youtuber Shaun Spalding. He has a lot of videos for beginners that are very helpful and explanatory. He kinda walks you through the basics and explains the code in a way that's understandable to newcomers. I'd start with his complete platformer tutorial series. That's how I started.

Shaun's complete platformer:
I agree with you, however he mindful while watching shauns tutorials because he is on an earlier version and what he is doing may look different IDE wise, little tip when you make a script don’t delete what the editor puts in the script already just put the code you want for the script inside the brackets :)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The new FireJump tutorial is amazingly good and a great place to start learning all the basics: https://www.yoyogames.com/en/tutorials/fire-jump-dnd It's DnD only at the moment, but it's still worth doing even if you want to use code, as it'll give you a good idea of how the IDE works and the basics of the GameMaker language. I would also recommend the LittleTown tutorial, which is a little more advanced, but again, well made and will teach you a lot of good things to get started: https://www.yoyogames.com/en/blog/little-town-gamemaker-tutorial

Finally, it's also worth checking out the youtube channels from our own members @Slyddar, @samspade and @matharoo :

All of these members create excellent, beginner-friendly content, and all their latest work uses the most up-to-date version of GameMaker so you don't need to worry about wrong information from older versions.

:)