What tutorial should i use to get started !!!

yutdev

please help i ma new to game maker and i am enjoying the community but i don't know how to get started what tutorial should i start with i don't want to be overwhelmed
thank you :)

rIKmAN

Try something simple like the official Space Rocks tutorial which can be found in the IDE at startup.
It has versions for both GML and DnD so pick the one that you prefer and take your time with it.

Not advised by YYG as per todays updated Release Notes, see my next post instead.

Last edited:

chamaeleon

Keep in mind that tutorials are not a substitute for reading the manual carefully, especially if you don't have much other programming knowledge to fall back on.

Try to hit every official Yoyo 2.3+ tutorials before going out in the Youtube tutorials wilderness. You'll me much better off starting with stuff you KNOW works 100% and is "endorsed" officially.
You can download and access them directly from GameMaker itself, it's pretty cool.
Scratch that last part, as per the post below, which I was not aware of!

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Just seen this in todays Release Notes, so scratch my previous comment about using the in-IDE (ie. Start Page) tutorials and follow this advice instead:
  • https://www.yoyogames.com/en/tutorials is our newly-updated and expanded website dedicated to tutorials and other learning resources, which allows filtering by proficiency level and also by the topics you're interested in

• Please note that we do not recommend continuing to use our old Start Page/Marketplace tutorials in 2.3.2+ IDEs, as these will have formatting issues and some problems with links to videos - these old assets will be removed from the Marketplace in future