Released WHAT THE @#&% ?! - COMPLETE!

T

TheUltimate

Hello everybody!

After several years, this game is finally complete! v.1.0 can be found in the Completed Games topic. See you there!

What this is:
What The @#&% ?! is a fast-paced platformer where the only goal is to survive till the end of the level. Run, jump, and dodge obstacles in a diverse collection of levels!

"Extremely fun, fast-paced and well thought out. I loved how every time you think you're safe, something happens to kill you. [...] You are officially the biggest troll known to humankind. Congratulations!" – icymx

SCREENSHOTS

COMPLETED GAMES TOPIC
Go there for the download link.​

REVIEWS
- Indie(Magazine) review
- Fluidic Ice review
- Gam3rlink video playthrough

Notes:
  • This WAS my first game, started in 2011. Some of the references are outdated and it isn't as polished as my more recent games. Expect it to be a bit rough around the edges, but bug-free and complete, and something I'm happy with.
  • The game is compiled in GM8. I had issues importing the game to GMS.
Highscores
Times to beat all levels in the WIP version of the game
Code:
1 Snail_Man            03:56:02
2 Gam3rlink            03:56:30
3 BlueTail7            06:49:60
4 BurntFish            11:30:80
5 ParodyKnaveBob       19:57:32

SHAMELESS PLUG: My other games (links coming if or when I post them here)
Colour My World - Julius Dragonslayer - Origami - Dual Personality - Booty Warrior - TWHGM

The old promise still stands: If you try my game, I’ll try yours! Tell me what it’s called and I’ll give it a whirl.

Enjoy the game!
Thanks everybody!

TheUltimate

Last edited by a moderator:

alexde5th

I've decided to try it out. Here's my review.
• (Places video file into Sony vegas)
-Video is extremely small
--"Oh this is bloody excellent, I'll tell YOU THAT!!"
• Just an EXE? Ok then.
• I like the main menu music, doesn't loop decently enough though :v
• Changeable characters? Neato!
That being said, its only the first character and Knuckles from Sonic.
• Main menu music isn't continous when going to the options room and back
• Dying is incredibly easy here. Still makes me want to try and beat the level though...
• Controls feel a little... ice-like.
• Whats with this screenbumping when Im moving?
• WHY NO BE FULLSCREEN???
• First level music is pretty good.
• Sound effects ripped from Sonic (Im fine with this, I guess.)
• That long jump part is bull💩💩💩💩 (in the first level)
• A rage game. God damn.
• I recorded some footage. Have a look.
• The resolution in the video isn't actually that small. Its because Game maker 8 isn't very friendly with FRAPS...
• Alright, I'm done here.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

With some nudging here and there, I tried a game whose title had driven me away (even though the description sounded excellent). You know I can ramble on and on if I don't keep myself in check, thus I'll try to keep this short. $E^ J

I played for the first time during my break at work. (The load screen is .. uh .. no thanks.) I only had a few mins, but I laughed and laughed. Figured I'd have enough time to try my three lives anyway.
$}^ } W/e @ you. Lol. Stopped at -5, heh. Didn't realize checkpoints existed, btw, since I didn't get to the first one.
The next day, I played until my computer crashed. Some highlights:
  • Block drops, block drops, expected, expected, block TEARS THROUGH WHILE I PASS IMMEDIATELY TO MY DEMISE. $}^ }
  • Aw, I'm forgetting too much now. I considered recording it and me playing, but I also figured it'd take too long for any normal person to watch -- if my computer could even handle recording it. I eventually figured I could record and edit it down, but ugh, that'd take forever. So, I got to something like level 3-4 while trying to figure out what I'd do about all that (and not writing anything down in the meantime). Mm.
  • Eventually, a lot of the trolly elements get either expected or at least unsurprising when they hit (such as, yes, another large gap with invisible blocks).
  • Many times I died because I knew something would kill, but I just wanted to see what it did. Lol. $E^ b For example, the giant golden ring. $F^ J It's so obviously a death trap, but it just beckons you to see what it does. And then ... What? An actual bonus level? What's the catch? No, really, just get the coins? No no no, what's the catch? .. OH. Another laugh-out-loud moment! Perfect! $E^ D Including the attention to detail for the machinery breaking down.
  • The Free Powerup was another hilarious "I know that you know that I know that you know" moment! $E^ b
  • The checkpoint that you grab in mid-air, die, then reappear with it down below? Ha ha! Brilliant. $E^ b (And pretty gracious of the game, actually.)
On the other hand, I was surprised to hear you say (even as far back as the old GMC) that you'd replaced all the infringing graphics and so forth, yet so many graphics look like they're a straight derivative from (and not just "inspired by") some Sonic game or another (although this really could've been presented as a Sonic "fangame" in the spirit of parody if you'd fleshed it out that direction, what with the ridiculous way you've set it up and with all the commentary it directly and indirectly slyly makes about platformers in general, thereby granting you Fair Use as far as I could see) -- and that apparently most or all of the sound effects are still direct rips. $:^ [

And now, (just to warn you,) a part of the review/feedback you very well might not enjoy...
Level .. 3? 4? with "deja vu" (heh) and all the falling rock platforms followed by spikes and the "20 popups"? I believe I can say I officially hate that part. I just don't even like it. I spent something like 40-50 lives and 20-30 minutes on that one part alone. When I finally got past the rocks for the first time, I mentally prepped myself for what could come next; I bolted through the spikes stuff, surprised nothing was happening, then *popup!* ..and about the time I reach the end of reading the first pop-up and casually press Up to advance to the second, figuring Up was an odd choice,* the spikes started falling, making me realize that as soon as the first pop-up appeared, I needed to jam through the Up key exactly 20 times and then hit forward to not get killed (via jumping into spikes or letting falling spikes catch up to me) -- but too late, the spikes got me. Okay, so, when I finally got past the rocks for the second time, I prepped, and I bolted! Saddened that I wouldn't be able to actually read your pop-ups and enjoy the silliness, in came the apparent revelation (skimming the text best I could) that the 20 was a lie, and I should be stopping at 15 instead. $:^ | $:^ [ No, I didn't get past the rocks again. I tried. I desperately tried. Eventually, I apparently jammed the Up key so hard, I locked up my laptop to where even Ctrl+Alt+Del wouldn't do anything. Got to hold power and hard crash it. I seriously dislike this section of the game and wonder what you were thinking. It's remotely possible that the lie about 20 -> actually 15 (assuming that's even true) would've been tolerable and funny like so many other terrible deaths in the game except 1. for how painfully difficult the rock climb is right before and 2. the player can't even enjoy the (I assume) comic relief afforded in the pop-ups' written banter because of the gameplay mechanic -- and oh wow, the 40-50 lives in 20-30 minutes with actually managing to anger me could, yeah, seriously use a little relief. $:^ [

* I suppose it might be Spacebar normally, come to think of it. The first time I played (at my break), I used Spacebar. The second (for the long run), I used Up.

Since it seems from the rest of your post that I'm near the end of the game, I'll try to play onward in a moment here. I just hope I remember the password correctly since I figured, okay, nighttime was ticking (and now another hour or two have already passed, too, ugh), I would just beat that level and then write down the next password and quit for the night. ~sigh~ Except for that whole crash thing. Because of that whole jamming Up thing. Because of a half hour spent on that whole falling rock waterfall-of-platforms thing with a lying, subverted-comic-relief deathtrap afterward thing.

Or, now that I'm tired enough, maybe I'll just go to sleep and attempt this another day. (Ha. Whoops. Fell asleep just before posting. Maybe I'll try this more later today then. $F^ J )

Regards, and I do hope this helps,
"Is it poss--" Bob

T

TheUltimate

@alexde5th
Thanks for the comments. I got a good laugh out of the video. :)

There are a couple unlockable characters you can find in-game. I guess I never mentioned it anywhere, I’ll make it clearer in the next version.

I’ll fix the menu music restarting.

F4 toggles fullscreen, by the way. The game starts windowed by default.

@ParodyKnaveBob
Glad you enjoyed the game!

Yes you should have recorded it and made a highlight video! :) But in all seriousness, it’s no big deal. Just the fact you tried the game and left feedback is truly appreciated.

After some thought, I realized you’re the first person to ever comment it’s predictable. I sought to balance obstacles between “total surprise” and “somewhat suspicious” and “throws your first assumptions out the window” but I guess after a while it becomes expected everything will kill you haha. Was it just the invisible blocks or was there more than that? I do see you had a couple laugh-out-loud moments so I guess it wasn’t totally predictable!

The game has always been a platformer parody that’s as annoying as possible. It borrows some elements and style from Sonic, but it’s more a homage than a direct fangame. As I mentioned elsewhere, what you played was outdated by a version or two. The blocks no longer have Eggman on them etc.

It’s funny how I never had Sonic in mind specifically while making the game, but it ended up way more deeply rooted than I intended. I originally (wow that was... a couple years ago now) didn’t want to spend hours making graphics for a game that might not get any attention so I used Sonic graphics. By the time I made my own graphics the game had slowly turned into a platformer parody with some Sonic in it. I really really like the idea of spinning it as a Sonic parody-fangame but aside from some graphics and sounds I don’t think there are enough gameplay similarities. I’ll have to think about it.

I tried replacing the sound effects a couple times but I spent so long using the original sound effects any new ones never sounded quite right.

I’ll add another checkpoint after the rocks and before the popups. It was meant to be frustrating but not angering - sorry about that! If it’s any consolation, you were 3/4 of the way through the final level.
Thanks for the reviews!

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Just some quick replies:

Yw! $:^ ]

(Ah, yes, F4 would've been nice to know. Silly GM Legacy and its non-standard fullscreen shortcut, lol.)

Invisible blocks were just one example. I also indirectly mentioned anything that looked like an item that would help. (Generally, arrows and things did actually help, thus the game generally felt honest about its trolling. Anything that wouldn't help generally gave some kind of suspicious hint, which is probably the safer way to go.)

Yeah, I'm sure it'd be too late now to do turn it back around into a Sonic parody. I was just thinking out loud, I guess, in the context of using someone else's work -- that if you had gone in the direction of straight parody, you ironically probably would've been just fine. $E^ b

As for sound effects, a couple different thoughts come to mind. If you want to change what you're used to in the game, you can replace all the sounds with silence or even terrible sound effects you'd never use. Play for maybe a few days (couple weeks? longer? probably not, right? lol), and then play around with some payment-free, royalty-free sound effects from the Web or something.

Regards,
Bob
and you know why I formatted as such $}^ }

P.S. The biggest similarity to Sonic I get gameplaywise is the movement. You start moving, then you auto-speed-up, then auto-speed-up some more, and there's no "run button" to speak of. That's the huge difference between Sonic and Mario -- and afaik, most platformers (serious or hop-and-bop) mimicked Mario's core running mechanic, not counting double-tap-hold which is probably a third category (long before analog sticks became widespread).

P.P.S. Bad news. I tried to download from the topic to get a more up-to-date assessment, but the numbers 4, 0, and 4 greeted me kindly instead.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Only 28 ~30 hours in since my last post, I debated whether to add a new post here vs. editing the last, but I do have a post of substance, and then I'm disappearing from the 'Net for some days (due to computer stuff -- hopefully good stuff in the end).

I played again today -- at lunch at work. I keep forgetting to mention, many of the acronyms that pop up with invisible blocks also aren't my cup of tea. But anyway, that out of the way.

I beat it! Yay! Only 37 tries (starting at the last level). Weird that putting in a password, then returning to the main screen and starting just starts over. $F^ J But oh well. I eventually half-figured out, put in the password, then either uh hit Enter again or maybe wait a couple seconds? I didn't really test it. I just saw it worked the second time.

Is the "only one life" part of The Ultimate Challenge supposed to be for real or a joke? I died plenty. Also, when I first wanted to put in the password, I couldn't; the password field had disappeared. I had to close/open the game to get it typed and accepted.

Also, I don't recall whether on the first play immediately following winning (where I confusingly couldn't put in the password I think?) or upon putting in the challenge password, but my first life, the game didn't scroll forward, and I died .. shortly after walking rightward off the screen. Then, on the next life, the scrolling functioned properly again. Nothing major since dying isn't terrible (even apparently on the alleged no deaths mode, ha).

....... Or is the "only one life" thing just refering to lacking checkpoints (and perhaps level progression)? I didn't get to play for long enough (i.e. skillfully enough) to see a missing checkpoint, and I'm past due for getting off the computer as it is $E^ J (hence not firing it up again, which is kind of a process for my poor little computer heheh).

Since you'd said in this thread there are other characters to unlock, I'd kind of hoped winning would reward an unlocked character, but oh well.

Btw! I appreciate the idea of the little surprise left behind in the game folder. $E^ ] No wonder you liked my "JAM! LIVE! RANDOM!" dropping surprises of its own! ha ha ha ha -- and my guess is you'd independently done yours before I did mine, even if our actual surprise drops are rather different from each other.

I also never said, but I really should: I like the death sequence. It reminds me of what Mr. Miyamoto did with Super Mario Bros. (intentionally of course, that crazy genius,) where he made a death / game over not that bad-feeling. Yeah, the setback consequence could be rough at times, but the "oops" kind of fling-Mario-up-in-the-air animation and the "aw shucks" sort of you-lose musical fanfare made losing less nasty and more inviting to try again. Your character's loss animation coupled with the (title reference I expect) "What?!" voice just add to the hilarity of what the player often feels upon death -- "What?!" lol $E^ b That reminds me of predictability:

I suddenly wonder if the power up and bonus level tricks would've worked better earlier on -- to be actual tricks, that is. As they stand, they're more like expected comic relief deaths -- especially the fully fleshed out bonus level time spender, ha ha ha ha. So, they're kind of like jokey rewards once you've gotten further in the game.

However, as for tricks and predictability, think of one of the very first deaths in the game. You jump too high and you fling off the screen. This seems to be the only time in the whole game this happens, thus it's almost certainly a troll death. However, as the game goes on, these completely outlandish non sequitur deaths seem to disappear. A big, obvious power up is obvious. Jumping off the screen as a normal platformer mechanic is not. Falling blocks followed by tearing through a block (lol) with no chance for recovery is not. $E^ b

Much later on, the actual beehive isn't what's expected, but a trap is expected at the sign that says don't read it; the "I told you so" punchline of "See why?" appearing after your inevitably die while trying to predict what the trap could be to avoid it is just some "salt in the wound" that's also expected enough to be "I know that you know that I know that you know" humor again, heheh. Traps get predictable, but the humor generally keeps them alive anyway. If a repeated trap actually surprises you, it causes groan-humor. $:^ b ("Another invisible block gap? How do I keep falling for this?! Lol." etc.) But then, oohhh but then, you still manage to toss in some ridiculous surprises, such as the pop-up that appears to freeze the game, but then gets revealed to only freeze you while the traps start coming for you; sure, I've already implied where I believe this went wrong,* but there's still some surprises to be had.

Therefore, if I can manage to wrap this up to a point, I mean that 1. some things get utterly predictable; 2. some things take you off guard but really don't feel unexpected per se once they hit (but rather, "oh, I fell for it again, funny" -- or sometimes, "oh, right, those same traps I keep falling for" without so much funny anymore); and 3. some of the later humor comes from a few surprises you have left, yes, but a lot of the humor just comes from the mess-with-your-mind quality.

The point I'm having a really hard time expressing goes something like: the later traps mostly feel like repetition and/or obvious platformer mechanics negated, as opposed to routine gameplay expectations being completely subverted in mind-blowing surprises completely out of left field (such as the early jump-off-the-top death and the late pop-ups obstacle, especially since the pop-ups take the meta route of looking mostly like legacy GM untweaked show_message() pop-ups $}^ } brilliant/dastardly); would I be able to suggest another "big surprise" for comparison? I don't know. For one, I know the game is pretty much finished and wouldn't include it anyway. For two, I haven't given it much thought. Oh! Oh! Yeah, this is absolutely, intentionally inspired by Deadpool's super-mega-whatever-special in some Capcom fighting game I've never played where (his in-universe 4th-wall-breaking being in his character's canon) he grabs his on-screen super meter and starts smashing his opponent with it LOL!! but anyway, just saying, an example in this game could be, like, if suddenly some in-game thingy (explosion?) strikes the GUI timer (or some other GUI element, perhaps even one that was a "useless joke" from the beginning, like score, heh -- therefore getting double the joke-work from it) sending chunks of it everywhere, including into the player character for the kill. (This now gives me new ideas for something of mine that's about two decades old now, ha ha ha ha.)

I hope I made sense. I totally needed to wrap this up over an hour ago.

Finally, some notes on graphics:
  1. The charm is great. $:^ ] Everything is clear; that's important in games anyway, but especially for an extended game-trying-to-kill-you troll gag, it might just be key. The parallax scrolling is sweet. The animation is of course great; I've wondered a few times where you got your animation talent/skill. $E^ J
  2. The screen-tearing is annoying. Have you tried it with V-Sync on, from the Global Game Settings? (Come to think of it, isn't that a togglable function, thus giving you the ability to slap another option in for your players if you so desired?) Or maybe it's just my broken DirectX, I don't know.
I think I'm finally done writing! $8^ ,

Regards,
Bob $¦^ J

T

TheUltimate

@ParodyKnaveBob I've come to expect long and detailed posts from you. :)

I added F4 to the first post, and I'll add it to the game.

Generally, arrows and things did actually help, thus the game generally felt honest about its trolling. Anything that wouldn't help generally gave some kind of suspicious hint, which is probably the safer way to go.
Some death spoilers
I've... never thought about it that way. Thanks for the insight. The thing I wanted to do was make the player ask "how do I get past this thing that will kill me" more than "this is totally a trap again". I'll write some more later when I have time.

Yeah, I'm sure it'd be too late now to do turn it back around into a Sonic parody.
Yeah, I'm sure of that too. At the very least changing all the sound effects turns it into a Sonic-style game instead of a game with Sonic effects!

If you want to change what you're used to in the game, you can replace all the sounds with silence or even terrible sound effects you'd never use. Play for maybe a few days (couple weeks? longer? probably not, right? lol), and then play around with some payment-free, royalty-free sound effects from the Web or something.
LOL! That's actually a good idea.

and you know why I formatted as such $}^ }
;)

The biggest similarity to Sonic I get gameplaywise is the movement.
It's what I had in mind from the start. Ended up somewhere between Sonic momentum and ice momentum though...

Congratulations on beating the game!

Er yeah the passwords were implemented early on. I might not have had global variables figured out at the time.

The Ultimate Challenge is real - the checkpoints are there for pacing (because you stop when you touch one) but if you die you restart the whole game. Die to the exploding rocks at the end of L4? Back to the start for you! It's a challenge for all the hardcore people who would consistently beat the game in under 6 minutes. (some of you are on this forum... you know who you are XD)

Btw! I appreciate the idea of the little surprise left behind in the game folder. $E^ ] No wonder you liked my "JAM! LIVE! RANDOM!" dropping surprises of its own!
:D
Great minds think alike...

I also never said, but I really should: I like the death sequence.
Thanks. The black screen actually was Mario-inspired (even though I've never played that game... strange as that is lol) because I wanted to capture that short pause and the feeling of "I screwed up, but I do get to try again, let's go!" The negative lives was originally a bug because I forgot to set a game over, I kept it because it was hilarious.

The charm is great. $:^ ]
Thank you very much! Clarity was one of my goals. The parallax was a lot of work and I'm happy with it. Glad you like the animation too.

The screen-tearing is annoying.
I turned Vsync on just now. It'll be in the next version.
The feedback is much appreciated!

T

TheUltimate

I just realized I never posted what's in the next update.

What's next:
  • Changing most of the sound effects
  • L1 level design changes: This won't affect the fastest path for hardcore players, but will soften the difficulty curve for newer players
  • Vsync turned on
  • Location of the character select screen will be clearer
  • Main menu music won't restart when returning from options screen

D

Docker

Maybe its just me but I went into the menu to change the controls and escape isn't working to exit back to menu... lol

T

TheUltimate

Quick update!

I'm currently waiting for a couple people (namely @ParodyKnaveBob and @Snail Man) regarding their custom ingame characters and a couple SFX. Other than the bonus characters, the game is basically complete.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Played the newest update. I like the new graphics -- although the little boxes are now much harder to discern between good and bad, bllaarrggh. $:^ P

For my own sanity, I split up my playthrough this go 'round, thus these badges should be added up for my total mess. $F^ J
(Mainly, I felt most comfortable with Up jump on level 1 and Space jump afterward, for whatever reason. Hm.)
You beat level 1! (0.7.3-1).png You beat level 2! (0.7.3-2).png You beat level 3! (0.7.3-2).png You beat level 4! (0.7.3-3).png
Oh yeah, the little badges reminds me, I love the parallax sky in level 2. It's .. it's beautiful. $:^ }

Okay! Lemme now c/p what I typed in Notepad while I played...
(I actually tried firing up OBS Studio to do my first video review, but nope! stupid thing's talking about missing DLLs and needing to be reinstalled (again).)

Level 1. Aww, you took out the off-the-top-of-the-screen death. I know you said you were trying to make it easier at the beginning, but .. oh well. $:^ ] And hey, that first gap at the beginning. Wasn't that a bottomless pit before? I'm thinking you made that easier, too, eh? (If you did change that, mmmaaayybe you could keep the semi-spiky bottom and return the fly-off-the-top trap?)

Level 2. I died multiple times and wasted multiple minutes going back and forth across the level trying to find a third keyhole or *some*thing that would let me through the door. I finally got through when I .. just .. stood at it and jumped around some inanely? Is that intended?

Level 4
  • Wow, going from level 3 to 4 is killer for me since level 3 had 29-30 FPS for the most part...
  • Ha. The new checkpoint you added? I love it. It gets past a terrible part, but it also puts you right at the beginning of another difficult part. I suppose it's the nature of a checkpoint forcing you to slow down that you couldn't put it on the other side of the gap (right at the spikes), but by that necessity, your generosity (of a new checkpoint) still continues the trolliness of the game. Ha ha. Ha. $}^ J
  • After all the exclamation marks (for which I don't get the three references, sorry), yay, checkpoint. The spring board thing right up on the shelf next to it? If you walk into it (instead of jumping on it), you die. Is that intended?
  • Died while reading messages at end, got put back at checkpoint next to spring on shelf. I'm not sure what the "(just kidding)" message is supposed to connect to mechanics nor joke-wise, btw.
I believe that's it, other than yaaaaay @ character $E^ ] ...and a heads-up on those reviews you linked. The first, the PDF is hard to read; one can c/p the text to Notepad, but just letting you know. The second, similar caveat, the link is a 404, but you can still find the review via the website's navigation. The third doesn't show, and I didn't try to dig that one up.

Regards!
Bob

T

TheUltimate

@ParodyKnaveBob
Congratulations, you now have a highscore!
TY for the compliment about the sky effects. :)

Now for the comments:
L1: You can still fall off the top of the screen if you take the upper path above the chasm. You can't fall off the lower path at all. Think I should add the fall-off-the-screen thing to the lower path? ;)
L2: Yeah, you have to jump into the door.
L4:
  • Were you running anything in the background? I've never gotten FPS that low before...
  • Good to know!
  • Lol, I forgot about the 3 references sprite. That part used to have sprites from 3 of my other games. I changed that obstacle a couple times and I guess only that one is left now.
  • Yes, dying is intentional. You have to move to the left so you don't hit the spikes.
  • It means "Just kidding, you didn't actually beat the game yet" because you need to jump to the left, where the platform won't fall.

@Bluetail7
Well hello again!
You did fine lol, you're one of but a handful people who have ever beaten the game in under 10 minutes. Your character is already in the next version by the way!

KurtBlissZ

I've played them game like 2011-2013 on the bus with a friend of mine. Coming back to it known is a lot of fun. I made it up to stage 4. and gave up on my -108 life. Game is a bit easier when you're not a moving bus. Game time was 25 mins. I'll probably play some more later.. Only thing is the game ran at around 30fps while I played, I'm guessing the game uses delta timing?

P

ParodyKnaveBob

For my own sanity, I split up my playthrough this go 'round, thus these badges should be added up for my total mess. $F^ J
[PKB snip]
Code:
3    16    82
11    47    42
19    33    64
19    57    32

52    153    220

52    155    20

54    35    20
54:35:20

If this were cumulative instead of individual, note how L4 only took me roughly 24 seconds. $;^ J

However, this does make me wonder how others' listed times actually add up. Hmmmm.

EDIT: oh yes, as for comments...
L1 - I no longer fell off the top. I'll have to try that again then. Hm.
L3 - (slowness) I'm pretty sure I had nothing else going except Notepad. I even closed Dropbox before playing. Low-end machines get you into the habit of closing everything first. $;^ }
L4 - I mean with the springboard sitting on the shelf like that, if you walk into the springboard, you don't bounce up into the air into spikes and die, but rather the moment you walk into the springboard, Ralph's sprite vanishes (looking like a bug therefore) and proclaims his shocked What?! as he loses another life.

T

TheUltimate

@KurtBlissZ
Glad you still find it fun! It's been a long time since I coded the timer, but I remember spending so much time coding and recoding it. I'll have to check. I'm pretty sure I used delta timing.
EDIT: Surprisingly, the delta timing code is in the game but I commented it out for some reason and used something else. Good thing you mentioned this. I'll reimplement it for the next version.

@Bluetail7
Lol! You got a pretty good time though!

@ParodyKnaveBob
24 seconds, new speedrun record! :cool:

I'm sure you already noticed the timer doesn't start at 0 if you use a password. The time adjustment is low, but still a lot higher than a good speedrun.

L1: Don't worry, I'll reimplement the off-the-top-of-the-screen death for the lower path, just for you. ;)
L3: I'll see what other objects I can deactivate. I think that's causing the lag.
L4: Oh. That is definitely a bug.

@JacPete
Thanks for playing! You have to take a running start and jump over the higher block without trying to land on it. Which version do you have? I made that obstacle much easier in v.0.7.2.

F

fxokz

reminds me of pewduckpie. looks nice judging from the video. I might give it a try today

i played for 20 minutes and eventually gave up at the loose platforms area with the pink blocks. I almost had it but then yeah 20 minutes of the game is enough for me haha. The game is fine as it is imo. I dont think anything major is missing. You know what you are doing so just keep it up.

Last edited:

JacPete

Thanks for playing! You have to take a running start and jump over the higher block without trying to land on it. Which version do you have? I made that obstacle much easier in v.0.7.2.
iam on the latest build, ill give it another shot some time later

P

ParodyKnaveBob

@KurtBlissZ
24 seconds, new speedrun record! :cool:
$B^ ,
I'm sure you already noticed the timer doesn't start at 0 if you use a password. The time adjustment is low, but still a lot higher than a good speedrun.
I kind of half-wondered at times about fairness of level-start times, but um *no* actually I never paid enough attention to notice the timer starting higher than 0. Lol. Whoops. (So then, come to think of it, what's it doing? Adding 5m per level up?)
L1: Don't worry, I'll reimplement the off-the-top-of-the-screen death for the lower path, just for you. ;)
B8^ ,
L3: I'll see what other objects I can deactivate. I think that's causing the lag.
L4: Oh. That is definitely a bug.
Cool, glad to hear those getting worked on. ~nodnod~

EDIT: Tried just now. Fell off the top. Don't know how I was consistently missing it before then. Hm. (Maybe just got too used to how to jump at that part?)

T

TheUltimate

@fxokz
Never heard of Pewduckpie until you mentioned it. It's a very different style, but it does look similarly ragequity. :)

Thanks for playing! Hope you get a chance to try the other levels sometime.

@JacPete
Cool. :)

@ParodyKnaveBob
So then, come to think of it, what's it doing? Adding 5m per level up?
Pretty much. I might adjust the times before release but that's exactly how it works.

L3's lag is fixed for sure now. What happened is I deactivated instances outside the view everywhere in the game... except L3. I turned it off because parts of the giant rock sequence can happen off-screen, then forgot to turn it back on for the rest of the level. L3's down from 800 active instances to about 100 now.

L4 is fixed as well. Perhaps a little lazily, but it's still fixed. :cool:

Falling off the top: If you weren't jumping to max height you'd survive it. You only fall if you jump way past the top.

T

TheUltimate

@Zuurix
Thanks, I did have fun making this! Did you take a running start before you jumped over the block? That’s the best way to do it.

Now for the big announcement...

The game is finally complete! Version 1.0 of WHAT THE @#&% ?! can be found in the Completed Games topic. See you there!

P

ParodyKnaveBob

@Zuurix: If you're having trouble getting under it, getting a good run and then as lightly as possible hitting the jump button ought to do the trick.

T

TheUltimate

@ParodyKnaveBob
I didn't realize until your post that @Zuurix might have been talking about the part after the blue blocks and not before. PKB's right, you have to do a low jump to get under the yellow box.

Also, the Completed Games topic is now up, check the first post for the link!