• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

What sprite editor do you like to use?

S

Sabrina Stoakes

I'm honestly curious which editor you guys prefer for sprites. I've recently started using GraphicsGale and I absolutely LOVE it. I really like being able to make sprites in layers since it makes animation sooooo much easier. Plus it's free so that's fantastic for my cheapness.

S

SamSam

I only use the Adobe suite, even though this is the opposite of cheap :')

ill.jpg psd.jpg ae.jpg

Illustrator for vector drawing

Photoshop for "all the rest" drawing
After Effect for animation

Last edited by a moderator:

Niels

Drawing: photoshop cc 2018
Vector: Affinity Designer
Pixel: Aseprite/pyxeledit
3D: blender

D

deem93

I'm using Pyxel Edit for drawing. It is functional but, as far as I'm aware, it is being developed by a small team/one person so updates are very rare and, in case of a recent update, they can break things that used to work just fine before.
For editing and putting finishing touches I use GIMP.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 13992

Pyxel Edit or Photoshop, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish (tiles, or unique environment assets/characters). Not cheap or free obv.

I bought Aseprite a couple years ago, havent really used it yet though. When you've been using Photoshop for 22 years, it's hard to change.

V

Vereor Nox

I bought Aseprite a couple years ago, havent really used it yet though. When you've been using Photoshop for 22 years, it's hard to change.
I'm in the same situation as muki. I've been using Photoshop for about 20 years. Eventually I want to replace it with another software.

I going to buy Aseprite for pixel animation. It seem on par with Graphicsgale.