GameMaker What should I work on next?

F207

Hey all,

So basically I have a project i'm working on that I'd say is somewhere that's past just a prototype, but only barely.
It's a 2d metroidvania (shocking, I know). What I'm looking for is advice on what I should focus on next, since I feel like I have a quite a few major features working, but am probably overlooking......something.

Here's a list of what I think are big things that I already have up and running:
The player character's full movement/move set.
Room transitions.
Saving and loading (including progress such as powerups).
Simple enemy AI.
Equipping items.
Simple menu(s).
Camera system.

Those are (IMO) the big ones. I have a feeling that there's probably some surprise stuff relating to visuals/graphics that I just haven't thought of? I feel like it's a ways off before I start looking for artists to get involved so I haven't thought too much about it yet.
So I guess what I'm looking for is if anyone has any experience with making a 2d metroidvania and you were completely taken by surprise by the difficulty of implementing something, something that most or all aspiring developers don't see coming.
I know this might be a bit vague so feel free to ask questions.

L

Lonewolff

Hard one to answer.

Personally, I always know what is missing in my own projects.

If you are at the point where you feel nothing is missing, I'd say your game is nearing completion.

samspade

Hey all,

So basically I have a project i'm working on that I'd say is somewhere that's past just a prototype, but only barely.
It's a 2d metroidvania (shocking, I know). What I'm looking for is advice on what I should focus on next, since I feel like I have a quite a few major features working, but am probably overlooking......something.

Here's a list of what I think are big things that I already have up and running:
Room transitions.
Simple enemy AI.
Equipping items.
Simple menu(s).
Camera system.

Those are (IMO) the big ones. I have a feeling that there's probably some surprise stuff relating to visuals/graphics that I just haven't thought of? I feel like it's a ways off before I start looking for artists to get involved so I haven't thought too much about it yet.
So I guess what I'm looking for is if anyone has any experience with making a 2d metroidvania and you were completely taken by surprise by the difficulty of implementing something, something that most or all aspiring developers don't see coming.
I'd say post it in the WIP forum, that's a good way to get answers to questions like this.

pixeltroid

Hey all,

Room transitions.
Simple enemy AI.
Equipping items.
Simple menu(s).
Camera system.

Looks like you already have everything required for a metroidvania! :D

I guess you could add maps into your to-do lists.

Also think of how you're going to design your boss battles. I was surprised to discover how difficult it is to create a boss battle that is actually enjoyable and challenging. I know this falls under enemy AI, but the boss battles IMO are a level in and of itself and need special attention.

F207

Looks like you already have everything required for a metroidvania! :D

I guess you could add maps into your to-do lists.

Also think of how you're going to design your boss battles. I was surprised to discover how difficult it is to create a boss battle that is actually enjoyable and challenging. I know this falls under enemy AI, but the boss battles IMO are a level in and of itself and need special attention.
Boss battles sounds like a good idea.

Sabnock

Hey all,

Room transitions.
Simple enemy AI.
Equipping items.
Simple menu(s).
Camera system.

player, camera, equip, AI, transitions, save, menus in that order