• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows What resolution should you make your game in internally

XD005

Hey guys, looking for some advice in regards to dealing with resolution in my game.
I was developing my game and targeting 1280 x 720. That's what I set my menu rooms to and everything but now.
I've realized that resolution does not scale well to FHD and I am alienating users that may have a smaller resolution.
So my question is, what is a good middle ground resolution where I can maintain graphic fidelity but have the best "scaleable"
resolution? My game is a music game and all of the assets were created with FHD in mind so they don't scale well to something like 640x480.

Psycho_666

Honestly to cover most users you need 720p and 1080p...
That covers absolutely every 16:9 monitor.
1440p resolution is literally 4 times 720p so it will scale perfectly. 4k is literally 4 time 1080p, so that will scale perfectly as well.
From that point forward you have the 16:10 monitors left out, but you can just add black bars top and bottom and turn 1920:1200 monitor into a 1080p monitor. You also have 21:9 (2560:1080 or 3840:1440) monitors, but those are weird to develop for in general, so you can just add black bars on left and right and cover that as well...
That is the easiest way.
If you use views you can just set your UI in the center or corners or wherever it needs to be, change the view camera and view port to fit weird monitors like the 16:10 and 21:9 and so on you are set.
Honestly I do not see a reason to develop for anything smaller than 720p.

Khao

Just have a variable resolution. Target full HD and code everything for it. But allow different resolutions in the options. You can do this by resizing the application_surface, and resizing stuff through room_set_viewport and display_set_gui_size() and stuff. My current game targets 1920x1080 with its assets and room sizes and everything, but it works well at every resolution I have tested it so far, from 1366x768 to 3840x2160.