• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

What now?

johnwo

I've been quiet on this forum for a while... My girlfriend encouraged me not to participate, but since this is beyond what I've normally been doing, and I feel that the community need to know. I love you guys, no matter
what..!

Me (I'm 26) and my girlfriend (24) are over 20 weeks on the way; Yeah, we're having a baby...
Any advise or good words?

I truly appreciate any word of advice, or.... Anything... A PM; Anything! I rarely look for help, but right now, I feel that it is the right time to ask for help.

Thank you in advance!

I truly apologize if this gets too real/is of a inconvenience to anyone... I wish you all the best anyway! Both me and my girlfriend look forward to the GMC, at the end of October, but we both know that more important things might "get in the way".
If anything, we would very much like to finish a game in time for the Jam!

If anyone would like to provide advice, please don't hesitate! We/I would like to talk to someone that is in/or has been in our position!

Cheers!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Yay! Congrats to the both of you! I have two kids myself... My advice? Okay... Take care of your girlfriend and don't do stupid stuff till it's born. Try to be there for the birth (unless it's a c-section or something like that) as it's an amazing experience and will bring you all closer as a family. After it's born, don't forget your girlfriend will also need love and attention - people always bring presents for the baby and give all their attention to the baby, often forgetting that the mother needs some TLC too. Once you have the critter back home, share the workload and change nappies, get up at night if it's crying, etc... THIS IS NOT THE EIGHTEEN HUNDREDS! :p

Above all else, enjoy the experience! Take everything in your stride and keep calm, and note that nothing we (or anyone else can say) will actually prepare you for the reality of the situation because it really is life-changing. :)

woodsmoke

I'd say don't worry too much as nature does it's thing. When baby is there your mind auto-switches to parent mode. Eat healthy and be outside often. Preparation is key. (I'm not a dad yet.)

Lumenflower

Yellow Dog
That's splendid news! Not shy to admit that I'm more than a little jealous - a child is a wonderful thing to have, and I suspect that no matter how much you try to prepare yourself, you won't be ready for the onslaught of emotions that come with a child being born. Your girlfriend is going to need a lot of support over the next four months so make sure you can be there for her.