Opinion What made you lose faith?

T

Thunder Lion

When we look at ourselves today we can often reflect on things we've had faith in (not just religion but any set of beliefs),

I for one use to have an honest faith in God, now its more of an agnostic view of not really believing in the god I had always believed in sense like 2009, I can't say anyone thing caused me not to have faith but I can definitely say things just piled up and made me really reconsider the god I seen as god. Now I don't really think god is a non-respector of persons, that god really only chooses to give to who he wants to such an extent that some are left out completely despite potentially sincere faith and character and action, I've seen some vile and lazy persons succeed in my churches and often times at the expense (disrespect, pushing over, bullying etc.) of others with more noble character albeit meek, which last time I checked was a "godly" quality. Also I find that people tend to self worship, gossip, and bite those with oopposing views. They are no different than clubs, sports teams or other less civil elementary social groups. I'm disgusted and ashamed that I allowed myself to become so broken from the loving strong person I was for the sake of others feelings, many things have been taken from me that I thought god promised but now I just see those moments as lies from myself and empty words from people, I have not shadow of doubt that I tried with my best effort in a Christ way to pursue things as I believed god wanted from me, I don't believe in the false god I served for so long cause it has added nothing to me as a person and has only caused me pain and misery, and these facts make me feel more so. I was a good person because I chose to be one, I gave my heart to something that only took my time and resources and cause me strife to this day, my own mother doesn't respect me with her words and she is a highly regarded Christian among friends family and strangers, my family doesn't even talk to me, my friends never cared, my church never even tried to keep in touch, and that's it it was all pretend and a lie and I feel better sharing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Thunder Lion

Mm, yes.

This will go very well.
Well it should, if anything its sharing personal opinion on why one might lose faith in something, have lost faith in something even if it didn't cause a negative impact?

Coded Games

Oh God, not another topic about religion. Anyways, I'll throw in a 2 cents before this turns into the dumpster fire that was the last one.

Right now I consider myself an agnostic atheist. As in I do not think that the "evidence" we currently have is good enough to prove that a god(s) exist. We currently have no way to determine if one does, thus I choose to assume that one does not. One could exist, we just don't know and I personally think that it's stupid to be on either end of Dawkin's formulation. I have been in this position for around 3 years now.

I used to be Christian, Lutheran to be more specific, and there really was two major events that drove me to question it all. The first was at a Christian camp in Canada that I went to. One part of camp was that everyone would go out somewhere at night and sit somewhere. They would give us a few minutes of quite time to pray or whatever. Well I went out, found a nice rock to see on, saw some ants, and prayed a bit like the usual Christian child would. After a few minutes we would all get back together and discuss what we did. I was blown away by some of the responses people gave. Some people LITERALLY saw Jesus, or was touched by him; you know the usual stuff. I was around these same people, and was quite disappointed by the results I had. Why wasn't I seeing Jesus? The conclusion that I came to was simply that other people were bullshitting. Since then I've seen more crazy reactions that people can have to all sorts of religions or rituals. Turns out people are fairly easily manipulated into feeling things.

Secondly, over time I simply began to disagree with my Church more. My pastor would talk about how he thought that gay marriage was bad. Also, at one point my church brought in a speaker who talked about college was an evil place and that the churches needed to control the entire education system. Overall it just sounded like a recipe for disaster.

This isn't all the details, just the main ones I could think of off my head.

T

Thunder Lion

Oh God, not another topic about religion. Anyways, I'll throw in a 2 cents before this turns into the dumpster fire that was the last one.

Right now I consider myself an agnostic atheist. As in I do not think that the "evidence" we currently have is good enough to prove that a god(s) exist. We currently have no way to determine if one does, thus I choose to assume that one does not. One could exist, we just don't know and I personally think that it's stupid to be on either end of Dawkin's formulation. I have been in this position for around 3 years now.

I used to be Christian, Lutheran to be more specific, and there really was two major events that drove me to question it all. The first was at a Christian camp in Canada that I went to. One part of camp was that everyone would go out somewhere at night and sit somewhere. They would give us a few minutes of quite time to pray or whatever. Well I went out, found a nice rock to see on, saw some ants, and prayed a bit like the usual Christian child would. After a few minutes we would all get back together and discuss what we did. I was blown away by some of the responses people gave. Some people LITERALLY saw Jesus, or was touched by him; you know the usual stuff. I was around these same people, and was quite disappointed by the results I had. Why wasn't I seeing Jesus? The conclusion that I came to was simply that other people were bullshitting. Since then I've seen more crazy reactions that people can have to all sorts of religions or rituals. Turns out people are fairly easily manipulated into feeling things.

Secondly, over time I simply began to disagree with my Church more. My pastor would talk about how he thought that gay marriage was bad. Also, at one point my church brought in a speaker who talked about college was an evil place and that the churches needed to control the entire education system. Overall it just sounded like a recipe for disaster.

This isn't all the details, just the main ones I could think of off my head.
Thank you for your response, Ive had similiar issues in regard to experiences of people whom later contradicted their past experience with new ones that where different. Case in point a woman I know said she seen Jesus' hand and it was tan like a tan person. Now she says she seen Jesus as black man. You get what I mean? Had he been the same color both times, then I'd respect her view. Other times I've seen people teach one thing but when applied toward them (unfavorably) they faught against those views. I feel many Ive met just live by their own desire, maybe this doesn't disprove their god but it shows they are false witnesses despite how praised they are by people. Ive done many goodish things and at the moment I was praised, but when I've done wrong? Now im not regarded as a Christian, and I don't feel its even worth being apart of something that is so skewed vy men. I have also the belief that we shouldn't even be married by government in the past different cultures respected your marriage dispite different beliefs. The thing is also it was a family ordeal not a governemnt one. If i ever meet a woman I don't want to marry under governemnt but just want to be married to her holistically.

Regarding my own personal "spiritual moments", this one I recall the most because it showed while I was wide awake.

I was in highschool pretty new in my faith 2010, it was getting warm so the days where sunny and longer. I was having a tough day , just feeling a bit down can't recall why. So what happened next was this, someone smiled at me and this uplifted my mood so I decided to pray in my mind singing songs to god like I did normally. I went home and was alone, i went on my computer and began to play some reggae instrumentals, from here I found that I was singing out loud a bit and rapping to god. I was washing the dishes and the sky was clear and the sun never shines in the window nor does it reflect off anything as the sun was always on the other side of the house (opposite) and nothing was their to reflect it into the kitchen window. As i was washing the dishes, warmth came around me and golden and white light shined around me covering me for a moments it felt warm and had pressure, it also had a calm sound to it that i couldn't hear the words to and i felt terrified not in a scared way but in a way i never seen this before as soon as i got scared the light went away and i felt peaceful still. The next week it happened again and the day was similar, the light came back the same but this time i wasnt afraid, it envoloped me curther than last time and lasted a few seconds longer before i became afraid again i was nervous. Sense then it had not happened again. I continued to serve God and eventually i fell off while dating women and from their my spiral of dissatisfied faith came i started to become a different person in a bad way always going back and forth between trying to do good and being a pagan if you will lol. Now im more pagan than ever but i feel then i was a real Christian, i know in my heart or at least believe that was the true god in my life and not the false one i adopted by mistake over time.

T

Thunder Lion

I lost faith in people.

The internet can be a horrible place. We have all been caught up in its crap at some point or another.
It can amaze me how evil and loose mouth we can be over this medium because we are almost unaccountable. I can't say that's necessarily a bad thing but its proven to show its as effective if not more so as real life abuses. Many have committed suicide, brought to mental low states and moving evil selfish agenda in many ways (even using things that in themselves have no flaw).

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
@Thunder Lion : Thanks for sharing so openly your experiences... it's interesting to hear your point of view. :) For myself, I've never had faith in anything other than myself and humanity, so I couldn't lose it. My parents always said that faith is such an important and individual thing that they could never force their (or others) views upon me and that it was up to me to find my own way (which is what led me to studying so many of the important religions of the world). My conclusion about faith in general is that it can be a good thing to have for a lot of people as it gives them strength and a refuge in tough times, but that organised religion is NOT a good thing and only leads to self-doubt, self-hatred and the hatred of others (generally directed at those that don't belong to the same religion!).

I also feel that in most spiritual teachings the tl;dr of them is "be good, be respectful, treat people as you want them to treat you"... and as that's pretty much how I tend to live my life anyway, then I think that any decent god would be happy to judge me as worthy of their heaven. If they think I'm unworthy because I haven't followed a book written 2000 years ago or haven't prayed to them or haven't given up meat one Friday a year or whatever, then personally that makes them unworthy to be my god, so I'd probably rather they didn't accept me into their heaven! I want no part of any petty or vindictive gods that require me to sing their praises and condemn others because they aren't of the same religion or colour or creed.

M

MishMash

@Thunder Lion : Thanks for sharing so openly your experiences... it's interesting to hear your point of view. :) For myself, I've never had faith in anything other than myself and humanity, so I couldn't lose it. My parents always said that faith is such an important and individual thing that they could never force their (or others) views upon me and that it was up to me to find my own way (which is what led me to studying so many of the important religions of the world). My conclusion about faith in general is that it can be a good thing to have for a lot of people as it gives them strength and a refuge in tough times, but that organised religion is NOT a good thing and only leads to self-doubt, self-hatred and the hatred of others (generally directed at those that don't belong to the same religion!).
This echoes how I tend to think about the topic aswell. Religious teachings can be valuable, having a moral code is important but yeah, organised religion can be a recipe for disaster. Respect for your parents for claiming that religion is a very individual thing, this is definitely true. I think it is nice to be able to believe in what you want. I quite frequently alter my own perspective on things.

Being generally logical and inquisitive, at face-value, organised religion just never made sense to me. So many conflicting beliefs and consequences. It seems no matter what route you take, you end up breaking some rule somewhere. I also don't have a love for obsessing over the afterlife, I much prefer to focus on the here and now.

Though something I do often marvel at are the general thought experiments. For example, simulation theory. Being a programmer, I find this one quite fun to believe in, and equally quite realistically plausible. I wouldn't say I objectively believe in it, but I think it is fun to reason about nonetheless. However at the same time, technically if the simulation theory does hold to be true, then whoever that creator of the simulation is could be considered a god. Though interestingly, given how infinitely complex this simulation would be, with things being simulated on a "planck" scale, governed by a set of rules for interactions, no "god" would reasonably be able to interfere or modify the end state, because say if they wanted to change humans, that would involve making billions of adjustments simultanesously without breaking the simulation.
As an end result, this puts me in a loop hole, because even if there is a controller, given that they cannot interfere or easily peek inside the system, and by equal logic, we cannot peak out, this is effectively the same end result as if there was no god there in the first place, making the whole thing pointless to ever consider :p The other way of looking at it is in the world running our simulation, they could also be a simulation, so you do end up back at the who created the creator scenario. Another possibility is whether it is possible to simulate infinity inside infinity.

I have found this topic interesting so far, I was always interested in how people who were brought up to be religious broke away from it. Though I will say I don't really understand Agnosticism. Perhaps i'm just getting caught up in the technicalities of the definition. In terms of gods that exist in organised religion, I would consider myself an athiest, as I truly cannot believe in these specific gods outlined by these religions. However, looking at that simulation argument and concluding that even if it were true, it wouldn't make a practical difference anyway given that there is no way for the creator to look inside and perceive more than random data, perhaps that is more where being agnostic comes into play as the result there is that it would be impossible to know for certain.

@Thunder Lion Sorry to hear that faith took things away from you ): Perhaps it's time to instead put faith in things you believe in, whether it be what you want to get out of life, the projects you are working on, fulfilling aspirations. There is so much room to take a positive approach forward. Regarding your family, I know you haven't painted the full picture, however I also believe that it is a two-way street. It is equally important for you to speak to your family, and to care about your friends as it is for them to do the same in return. Perhaps best to shift your focus into building a positive relationship with those around you, rather than letting past negative experiences define how you feel :)

T

Thunder Lion

This echoes how I tend to think about the topic aswell. Religious teachings can be valuable, having a moral code is important but yeah, organised religion can be a recipe for disaster. Respect for your parents for claiming that religion is a very individual thing, this is definitely true. I think it is nice to be able to believe in what you want. I quite frequently alter my own perspective on things.

Being generally logical and inquisitive, at face-value, organised religion just never made sense to me. So many conflicting beliefs and consequences. It seems no matter what route you take, you end up breaking some rule somewhere. I also don't have a love for obsessing over the afterlife, I much prefer to focus on the here and now.

Though something I do often marvel at are the general thought experiments. For example, simulation theory. Being a programmer, I find this one quite fun to believe in, and equally quite realistically plausible. I wouldn't say I objectively believe in it, but I think it is fun to reason about nonetheless. However at the same time, technically if the simulation theory does hold to be true, then whoever that creator of the simulation is could be considered a god. Though interestingly, given how infinitely complex this simulation would be, with things being simulated on a "planck" scale, governed by a set of rules for interactions, no "god" would reasonably be able to interfere or modify the end state, because say if they wanted to change humans, that would involve making billions of adjustments simultanesously without breaking the simulation.
As an end result, this puts me in a loop hole, because even if there is a controller, given that they cannot interfere or easily peek inside the system, and by equal logic, we cannot peak out, this is effectively the same end result as if there was no god there in the first place, making the whole thing pointless to ever consider :p The other way of looking at it is in the world running our simulation, they could also be a simulation, so you do end up back at the who created the creator scenario. Another possibility is whether it is possible to simulate infinity inside infinity.

I have found this topic interesting so far, I was always interested in how people who were brought up to be religious broke away from it. Though I will say I don't really understand Agnosticism. Perhaps i'm just getting caught up in the technicalities of the definition. In terms of gods that exist in organised religion, I would consider myself an athiest, as I truly cannot believe in these specific gods outlined by these religions. However, looking at that simulation argument and concluding that even if it were true, it wouldn't make a practical difference anyway given that there is no way for the creator to look inside and perceive more than random data, perhaps that is more where being agnostic comes into play as the result there is that it would be impossible to know for certain.

@Thunder Lion Sorry to hear that faith took things away from you ): Perhaps it's time to instead put faith in things you believe in, whether it be what you want to get out of life, the projects you are working on, fulfilling aspirations. There is so much room to take a positive approach forward. Regarding your family, I know you haven't painted the full picture, however I also believe that it is a two-way street. It is equally important for you to speak to your family, and to care about your friends as it is for them to do the same in return. Perhaps best to shift your focus into building a positive relationship with those around you, rather than letting past negative experiences define how you feel :)
I understand where you coming from concerning family its always been that way, regarding two way streets, I've always been supportive and active in all those lives as hard as that might seem, I've always been encouraging and respectful toward family, I've been through a lot with friends and I was very involved with church friends and all, it just came a point I got depressed and stayed out of view though everyone knew where I lived or had my nhmber, after months of never being called it became clear they where not concerned for me I mean even one call would have made sense as I've done this before when things where going a miss with others and during normal times. My mom always had a negative vibe with me, she's not very kind toward me despite my respectful and excepting actions and words, my friends and I have mostly drifted away. Family in general just wants me to side with them about anything. My mom can't take my opinions and I learnt to stay to myself as she makes too many assumptions of why and what I'm talking to her about a conversation really just has me hearing her talk about things every time we have "conversation", I think perhaps moving out is my best option I will be looking for housing shortly to have my own space this time I won't come back to the parents house. I will live alone and build new and potentially better relationships maybe some old but not fake church family, and not abusive family relations. I've been old to them as a normal person would but my family is a bit controlling.

woodsmoke

My parents weren't religious and I haven't found any convincing evidence of a god. Sounds crazy to me to believe in some invisible dude to answer questions for which we don't have a answer.

T

Thunder Lion

My parents weren't religious and I haven't found any convincing evidence of a god. Sounds crazy to me to believe in some invisible dude to answer questions for which we don't have a answer.
That's the one thing that always surpised me, some people feel the world is proof of a god some on the basis of not understanding and others on a basis of having scientific understanding and appreciating the seemingly orderliness of things. Then we have others who don't feel existence is proof of a god based on a scientific understanding and appreciation of the orderliness (when I say order I don't negate the reality of the violence and power of nature bht rather that things all seem to follow fundemental laws we just happen to notice and are able to measure or assess in some way, and not ignoring the obvious hostilities toward life including our own) and then others seem to stem a disbelief based off of experience usually bad or at least disappointing which I completely comprehend, my only issue with both sides is that it seems we are very bias about our choices some believe this proof others don't beleive that proof, proof being the very thing we seek to legitimise our beliefs but I feel and have observed in myself and externally with others that we have biases and even ones we are not willing to admit or may not even be conscious of (like indoctrination to take a side, case in point kids are very susceptible to this: one kid grows up with believing parents and exhibits those behaviors and another grows up with less "morally sound" parents and you see then behave and speak in ways that are contrary to the "more moral" children be they religious or not).
I wonder how we'd all react with the reality presented to us?

S

Smarty

I think the question "what made you lose faith" is loaded. It implies that having a faith (in the religious sense) is somehow the standard. It's not a given. In fact, not one of us is born with one, but we are very susceptible to gaining it.

My parents weren't religious, but they prided themselves to allow their children to make their own choice on the subject at their own pace and time. But obviously, it's naive to think that whatever your parents believe doesn't somehow rub off on you. They're the people whose wisdom and judgement you learn to trust in your very early years, and your views and beliefs will very much align with theirs. For example, although not religious in the practical sense, my parents considered themselves very much spiritual, which usually expressed itself in the belief that "something" is there. For the most part this extended to alternative medicine and healing, meditation, paranormal activities, premonition, precognition and what-have-you. In my very young years I carried that along but I ultimately lost it. I think I followed it because having unquestionable faith in your parents is a given for anyone, a survival mechanism that serves us well, but which has some side effects that can extend to their nonsense as well.

Through no particular strong motivation to search for the Truth™, I slowly gravitated away from it all. I wearily watched religious faith as something that didn't sound very plausible but on which I didn't have any strong opinions. But I came to realize that the big issue with any kind of belief or faith is that it gave answers, but didn't explain anything. One usual conformity of anyone who I entered into a discussion with on the subject of their beliefs, and this includes my parents, is how they cut short on answers by simply proclaiming I wasn't "ready to understand" and how I wasn't "able to open up to receive" and how "closed-minded" I was, and that I would "learn some day" and then they'd look all triumphant and pleased with themselves. It felt all very patronizing and condescending and it suggested a whole kind of elevated knowledge on their end, except that when provoked, they had nothing to show for it.

Then comes along high school education and university, and the scientific method, and truckload of books on very diverse subjects, and then slowly that world changes. The questions got answered. The answers made sense. They were logical. They fitted the world we lived in like a shoe. There was no hand-waiving or magic required to fill in the gaps. And whenever a subject felt puzzling or intriguing or just plain wrong, there seemed to be no end in which you could dig deeper into it and find more and not only get some answers, but also how we got them, which in some cases is an even better story. And you're overwhelmed by the mountains of evidence that have been piled on by so many researchers on subjects you didn't even know existed, much lesser needed investigating. But it's there, and it is ever growing. And sure, it doesn't have all the answers, and it doesn't pretend to either, but it makes the effort.

In a way this is not a story of how I lost faith, but gained it.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Smarty is right...it IS a loaded question. In my case, I grew up going to church parts of the time...but I never really subscribed to it. I'm not set on either side though...I see no proof either way...there isn't proof that there is a god, nor is there real proof that there is not a god either. And assuming there is a god(working with the Christian system here for this part), and there was indeed a bible written, who is to say that the bible we have now is anything close to the one that was original send down? It has been translated just how many times? Who is to say that the translaters didn't either mess up, or "conveniently" change things to there whims? In other words, it is hard to believe that the bible is by any means good proof.

So yeah, I can't claim to have any real faith lost, at least not religiously.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I lost my faith several times in my life. Mainly because things weren't going my way and a lot of people misrepresent Christianity, (including myself).

A

Andy

I have faith in humanity. When people come together anything is possible.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I used to believe in God and all the spiritual stuff. First I was an agnostic, then turned into a spiritual guy, and now I'm an atheist. I turned spiritual because I was a teenager who wanted to believe in the supernatural, I didn't care for facts or evidence. When I did start caring about those things, however, I changed.

T

Thunder Lion

I have faith in humanity.

When people come together anything is possible.

Aside from that, this topic reminds me of a wheat field. One day an enemy will come forward and sow weeds here. Slowly destroying a once respectful field. An overworked farmer will sift through the wheat and weeds. Over time the whole situation will become too troublesome. A once beautiful field will have to be salted and cast away. :p
The forum gods will frown upon us

I used to believe in God and all the spiritual stuff. First I was an agnostic, then turned into a spiritual guy, and now I'm an atheist. I turned spiritual because I was a teenager who wanted to believe in the supernatural, I didn't care for facts or evidence. When I did start caring about those things, however, I changed.
Was there ever any emotional or social influences?

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
The later
No, as I said, I just started to believe that I didn't know, that I must look to the evidence & facts to believe what is real. So I slowly turned away from the spiritual stuff & now I think I fit into atheists, though I'm not 100% one.

G

Guest User

I've never really had any faith but I honestly don't believe there is a god at all, I think once you die, that's it.. you simply cease to exist, no afterlife, no spirit, nothing.

quite frankly if there is a god then he/she is a really evil and nasty piece of work, I mean if you were a god would you allow the Nazi's to kill millions in WW2? would you stand by twiddling your thumbs while your people are being murdered, children attacked by paedos, woman raped?

My auntie was raped and killed when she was 86, the person was never caught ..would a kind and loving god allow this to happen? No, they would not.

that said, I have nothing against others having faith in whatever or whoever they want as long as they don't come shoving it in my face.

T

Thunder Lion

I've never really had any faith but I honestly don't believe there is a god at all, I think once you die, that's it.. you simply cease to exist, no afterlife, no spirit, nothing.

quite frankly if there is a god then he/she is a really evil and nasty piece of work, I mean if you were a god would you allow the Nazi's to kill millions in WW2? would you stand by twiddling your thumbs while your people are being murdered, children attacked by paedos, woman raped?

My auntie was raped and killed when she was 86, the person was never caught ..would a kind and loving god allow this to happen? No, they would not.

that said, I have nothing against others having faith in whatever or whoever they want as long as they don't come shoving it in my face.
I get your point of view, many people suffer great injustices that we are all ignorant of, even people who devote life to a god will one day find themselves murdered, raped, trafficked for sex and drugs, homeless, starving and so on. I've heard of many people credit God even as they went through these things and others I've listed (ok death maybe not, not refering to near death or being revived, I mean dead dead), others hate God for these reasons and still others have an inert view (they don't hold anger or praise) because of these things.

T

Thunder Lion

Some argue that virtually all human suffering is caused directly or indirectly by people. Be them actions like violence, rape or so on. Then there are the indirect, resources, aide, proper infustructor to deal with common weather and nature issues (hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc.) Are all the result of greed and poor planning (to some extent I find it reasonable, but I also feel its not always realistic to assume we can be ready for any earthly disaster let alone a extraterrestrial one aka asteroids and stuff like that)

They say that God does not force peoples will, at least directly, but that He gives us choices to do good or not.

They argue that the world is damaged because of the original human sin.

Point: Some lose faith for these reasons, others don't.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Some argue that virtually all human suffering is caused directly or indirectly by people. Be them actions like violence, rape or so on. Then there are the indirect, resources, aide, proper infustructor to deal with common weather and nature issues (hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc.) Are all the result of greed and poor planning (to some extent I find it reasonable, but I also feel its not always realistic to assume we can be ready for any earthly disaster let alone a extraterrestrial one aka asteroids and stuff like that)

They say that God does not force peoples will, at least directly, but that He gives us choices to do good or not.

They argue that the world is damaged because of the original human sin.
What is your point?

A

Ampersand

I believe there's far more at play than we can write in a storybook, same as the fact that there's far more at play than we can write in a textbook. I am agnostic, but I have certainly had some experiences that left me to wonder. But in my experience, I believe all spirituality is something intrinsic to self-awareness that gets projected through the cultural filters imposed upon us. I used to be really fascinated in the similarities between psychedelic experiences and near-death experiences.

T

Thunder Lion

I believe there's far more at play than we can write in a storybook, same as the fact that there's far more at play than we can write in a textbook. I am agnostic, but I have certainly had some experiences that left me to wonder. But in my experience, I believe all spirituality is something intrinsic to self-awareness that gets projected through the cultural filters imposed upon us. I used to be really fascinated in the similarities between psychedelic experiences and near-death experiences.
To be fair, the bible doesn't claim to contain all things God did, I feel the only way to know if that god is real is to consider its Rx for finding God whatever it may be.