• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Distribution What kind of server package should I get?

M

Mobie

I'm looking into hosting an educational game I made on my URL and considering hosting packages. The game will be played online from my site. Since the game is mostly used just at my school, is not too large, and traffic will be low, I'm considering using one of the virtual server packages with 1and1. https://www.1and1.com/vps-hosting

As usual, I have no idea of what I'm doing, so any input would be appreciated. Would one of these packages work at first? Any idea of which one? Or, am I going about this all wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I don't think VPSs are strictly required for your current situation. VPSs are generally for more advanced use cases, such as running proprietary server apps or blogs with mid-to-high traffic. One of the cheaper web hosting or managed WordPress packages might already suffice. In fact, if you're just looking for a place to serve the downloads from, you might even get away with just a stock Dropbox account.

M

Mobie

I don't think VPSs are strictly required for your current situation. VPSs are generally for more advanced use cases, such as running proprietary server apps or blogs with mid-to-high traffic. One of the cheaper web hosting or managed WordPress packages might already suffice. In fact, if you're just looking for a place to serve the downloads from, you might even get away with just a stock Dropbox account.
Thanks. It's going to be played online and not available for download just yet. I edited my OP to provide that bit of info I forgot to include.

andev

you might even get away with just a stock Dropbox account.
Careful with these though, they have a bandwidth cap that if you exceed, the download becomes permanently locked.

Mediafire has a free storage option, and on top of that it has the ability to upgrade to infinite bandwidth

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Careful with these though, they have a bandwidth cap that if you exceed, the download becomes permanently locked.

Mediafire has a free storage option, and on top of that it has the ability to upgrade to infinite bandwidth
I would not have recommended Dropbox if the original poster indicated any possibility of increased public traffic. He said that the project is "mostly used just at my school, is not too large, and traffic will be low". So I evaluated his need as though it's an internal, experimental project unlikely to hit Dropbox's cap.

andev

Of course, but should he diverse into larger projects, it's something he might not be aware of!