• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics What kind of Graphics are these? something similar?

Hello Everyone i'd like to start making a game but im just wondering what kind of style of tiles and backgrounds are those? A friend tells me its drawn and then later on pixelized, is there a specific way of pulling these backgrounds and tiles off(not rip)?? i feel like it isnt called vector art, nor is it pixel. If anyone knows the name of the technique please help :D !

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Actually, considering the frontal graphics, I'd say it could very well be pixel art.It isn't all that hi def either. It appears to be using more colors than say a 16 color palette though, with plenty of colors for the anti-aliasing of the windows on the buildings and the "gradient" steps of the tops of the platforms.

Actually, considering the frontal graphics, I'd say it could very well be pixel art.It isn't all that hi def either. It appears to be using more colors than say a 16 color palette though, with plenty of colors for the anti-aliasing of the windows on the buildings and the "gradient" steps of the tops of the platforms.
So your saying that they actually did everything over in pixel art first and then put some sort of filter to it?

Hyomoto

They are using pixel art with post-processing effects. Sort of like how 3d graphics don't bake all the lighting and details into the textures, they are simply using some filtering techniques to add bloom. In fact, that may be the only effect they seem to be using though this is a still image so there could be more.

Okay i think im understanding what you mean, but what are these post-processing effects? im just very curious because i want to emulate these type of style

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Post-processing involves modifying the screen after things are drawn. In the case of GMS, it is generally done by drawing the game to a surface, and then drawing that surface over again using a shader. Said shader would add things to it, like a blurring around brighter pixels, etc.. It can also be done by using a separate surface. The objects that should create a bloom should then draw the effect onto the separate surface, and then that surface could be drawn in combination with the primary surface, possibly with a special shader as well.

Post-processing effects are all those pretty things most AAA games do, like vignettes, bloom, motion blur, color correction/enhancing, depth-of-field, and many other things. Anything done with the screen drawn after drawing everything else tends to be considered a post-processing effect. This could be something like water reflections, which could draw a reversed blurred version of whatever is above water level below under the water. It could also be transition effects, warping, wormhole, or technically transitions between rooms in GMStudio is done with post-processing.

Reactions: 607

Ninety

It is a very ad-hoc mix of different visual methods. We have high-res (likely vector) GUI elements in the top-right and bottom-left, with some AA'd and scaled up text in the top left. The foreground tiles look like pixelart with post-processing lighting effects applied as others have said. The character is also pixelart, however the afterimage effect slightly blurs and tints it. There's a couple of rotated assets (the white and purple things, possibly debris?) and a cloud effect which is at a higher resolution than anything else in the foreground (although bits of it look like it may be blurred, downscaled pixelart). The background is extremely unlikely to be pixelart IMO, based on the high colour count/extreme blurring/atypical composition - more likely, it's a digital painting (it's in the style/perspective of many cartoons and anime, which would support this - it might even be a rip). It's either been upscaled or pixelated to make it "fit in" with the other graphics.

This is, in my opinion, a horrible clash of styles and resolutions and under no circumstances should you attempt to emulate it. Pick a style (hand-painted, vector, low-res pixelart, high-res pixelart, sketches, whatever) and stick with it. Don't throw together assets at different resolutions and styles, it just makes your game look cobbled together, and possibly based on rips.

Khao

This is, in my opinion, a horrible clash of styles and resolutions and under no circumstances should you attempt to emulate it. Pick a style (hand-painted, vector, low-res pixelart, high-res pixelart, sketches, whatever) and stick with it. Don't throw together assets at different resolutions and styles, it just makes your game look cobbled together, and possibly based on rips.
This might be a bit more helpful that the screenshot above:

I'm guessing that was from a half-assed PC port. That game was originally designed specifically for the Nintendo 3DS, and it shows. Seeing it running at anything but the 400x240 resolution it was made for just makes it look like a mess. There's still a lot of different techniques here, but with the proper sizes and resolutions they actually look consistent.

H

HammerOn

It's a well established technique to use different styles for backgrounds and characters. It started as a simple technical issue but the contrast makes clear what is what, what is alive, where to focus, or just a composition technique nowadays.
Many 2D animations have painted background and cell-shaded characters. The background even moves in a different frame rate than the character animation. The same happens in games with 3D backgrounds and 2D characters.
An uniform work is consistent and fine but contrast can make things a lot interesting. Like when sometimes a sad background music play in a happy moment or a cute and colorful art for a psychological thriller plot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 607

Ninety

Contrast is fine. I may disagree that pixel art and scaled up digital painting is a particularly pleasing contrast, but I take your point. Graphical incoherence, however, is not fine. In the original screenshot, almost every asset is in a different style or resolution. However the actual 3DS version Khao showed above makes a lot more sense visually and actually looks okay.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
This might be a bit more helpful that the screenshot above:

I'm guessing that was from a half-assed PC port. That game was originally designed specifically for the Nintendo 3DS, and it shows. Seeing it running at anything but the 400x240 resolution it was made for just makes it look like a mess. There's still a lot of different techniques here, but with the proper sizes and resolutions they actually look consistent.
Looks a lot sharper there... so basically, the PC version doesn't have a filter, it has artefacts. :p

To replicate that, then, you'd make pixel-art, then just scale up the graphics a non-integer amount with interpolation turned on.