What is your favourite Pokemon game?

S

sofaspartan

I always have a soft spot for generation one. Pokemon Yellow on the Game Boy was the one that I spent most of my time playing as a kid. Also way back, Burger King used to do their own set of special pokemon cards. I went absolutely nuts for that and ended up collecting the whole set.

Kyon

I thought this was whats your favourite pokemon and I was ready to give a speech about Squirtle.
But anyway, I also have a soft spot for generation one (pokemon blue the most). Especially for the level design.
But I think the game I enjoyed the most as a kid was Pokemon Silver and Pokemon Crystal (with that cool Suicune storyline)

It might be because of the insane amount of content (still the only game where you can get 16 badges?), or maybe the improvement in gamedesign (faster).
But yeah, hands down. Silver or Crystal, best generation of pokemon games.

(if we're talking about the best pokemon in generations, then of course the first generation)

S

sofaspartan

Oh man, Pokemon Snap! What great memories. Also Hey You Pikachu.

I'd have to say Red, but it's solely because it's the only one I've invested any significant amount of time into. I played through Yellow just once, and while I loved having Pikachu following me around, checking on him to make sure he's happy, the Pokemon selection not having been what I was used to, I stuck mostly to Red, even though it was then a bit weird to be walking around alone. I never even noticed the graphical differences between the two until I started properly using the internet during the early 2000's. I screwed up my first playthrough by haphazardly tossing my Master Ball at a Ponyta in that burned down mansion, and cried as I started a new save file once I couldn't catch Mewtwo no matter how hard I tried. I don't know why I was so worried about losing that Ponyta that I had to use that ball, but it hurt to learn the consequences of my mistake. I then later "ruined" my save file with the Missingno/duplication stuff. All my Pokemon were level 100 and I had more Master Balls than I needed, but my team was really weak and I always lost to my friend who levelled up his Pokemon to 100 the natural way.

In 2004, I wanted to get a new Pokemon game. I heard all about Ruby and Sapphire having all sorts of new Pokemon, several bikes to choose from, dual battles, and a bunch of new things. I was excited to try it out because I wanted a vastly new Pokemon experience, but then I heard that Firered and Leafgreen were soon coming out, so I waited for those instead, and happily bought Firered. I marvelled at Charizard on the shiny cover, plugged in the wireless adapter for kicks, and booted up the game....just to discover it was a remake of Red. I was sorely disappointed before I even got to set my name once I realized how familiar all of Oak's dialogue was, and tried to promptly return it, but they wouldn't take back my open copy, so I then played through it. It was surprisingly fun and I enjoyed all of the new enhancements (especially the running shoes) but I was still bummed that it was just the same game I had been playing for nearly a decade, albeit even easier. I never really needed any other Pokemon other than Charizard as I played through Red, but I don't think I even touched any other Pokemon at all during Firered.

I got a PSP a few years later and gave Crystal a shot via emulation. I remember how big Gold and Silver were, but I only had a Gameboy Pocket at the time, so I couldn't join in on the fun. The game kind of annoyed me with its clock, and while I didn't want to adjust it, I hated the constant darkness as I only played late at night, so I didn't get very far before giving up. I bought my then-girlfriend a DS and got her Black and Black II, but I never had the chance to try them myself. X and Y always looked interesting due to the 3D and perspective change, but I never bothered getting a 3DS. I then finally got around to emulating Emerald, and enjoyed the new features I had initially longed for, but my relationship ended not too long after and I stopped playing. Then, several years later, "Let's Go, Eevee!" caught my attention, but I stopped myself from getting it once I quickly learned that I would have been exploring the Kanto region for the third damn time. Outside of emulation, it's as if I'm cursed to just buy and play Red for the rest of my life. I did dabble in the demo, but that was it. I also tried picking up Red again on my original Pocket to comb through it for the fullest experience, while also trying to unlock Mew. The efforts needed to do so killed my enthusiasm once I reached the relevant part and I've yet to touch the game since.

I'm looking forward to Sword and Shield, and will be picking up Sword (though I feel that it should have been red, with Shield being blue). I'm excited to finally be playing a legit, proper, new Pokemon game.

Last edited:
I like R/B/Y, but it's mostly nostalgia. Those games are so broken and unbalanced. G/S/C are great. R/S/E are probably my personal favorite. The ratio of interesting side-content to gimmicky messes has never been better than Emerald. You could make an argument for Platinum, though. D/P/P are great as well, but they get a huge black mark in my book for ruining secret bases and contests. Haven't played Gen 5 and up. Based on what I've seen, I've made the right choice. The direction the series is headed is not one I find enjoyable.

I also tried picking up Red again on my original Pocket to comb through it for the fullest experience, while also trying to unlock Mew. The efforts needed to do so killed my enthusiasm once I reached the relevant part and I've yet to touch the game since.
Don't know how you were doing it, but capturing Mew in Red was super simple last time I tried. You just need to ignore one optional trainer early in the game, do the Cerulean City Gambler fly glitch (super easy), beat the previously skipped trainer, then go to Lavender to fight/capture Mew. It should take less time to get Mew than to go through the Safari Zone.

Don't know how you were doing it, but capturing Mew in Red was super simple last time I tried. You just need to ignore one optional trainer early in the game, do the Cerulean City Gambler fly glitch (super easy), beat the previously skipped trainer, then go to Lavender to fight/capture Mew. It should take less time to get Mew than to go through the Safari Zone.
I believe that's the method I was attempting, but for some reason it just ruined my interest in continuing.

J

JON213

I like gen 3 best. Mostly because I like it's graphics the best.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I like the original red blue and green because of the cool glitches and memory editing you can do, you cant find that stuff anywhere without hacks or mods

I like the original red blue and green because of the cool glitches and memory editing you can do, you cant find that stuff anywhere without hacks or mods
Yep, Game Freak have always had the best of programmers ;)
...Except for when Satoru Iwata fixed Gold/Silver for them. Then that but unironically. In case anyone is wondering, here's an example of arbitrary code execution in Pokemon Yellow. Everything shown can be done on original hardware.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Yep, Game Freak have always had the best of programmers ;)
...Except for when Satoru Iwata fixed Gold/Silver for them. Then that but unironically. In case anyone is wondering, here's an example of arbitrary code execution in Pokemon Yellow. Everything shown can be done on original hardware.
Idk if thats 100% legit, but I know this is

L

Lonewolff

Never played a Pokemon game in my life. Just can't bring myself to do it.

Jabbers

Ruby / Sapphire, but it's probably because it reminds me of being young and playing it alongside my brother. I enjoyed the remakes that were Leaf Green and Fire Red too. I lost interest after that, but maybe it was my age.

Never played a Pokemon game in my life. Just can't bring myself to do it.
Oh well, nobody's perfect.

D

debleb

The first Pokemon game I ever played was Alpha Sapphire, so I'd have to say AS and my favourite generation would be 3.

K12gamer

I've honestly never played a Pokemon Game...but based off the Wii U video below...That would probably be my favorite.
Would love to play an enhanced version of that game on SWITCH. One that allowed the trainers to fight alongside their Pokemon
in tag team battles.

O

Old School Ben

Poke'mon Stadium for N64 is my favorite game.

I still boot up my transfer pack and play red, blue and yellow on N64 from time to time.

D

debraeckstein

Pokémon Masters on apknite. Battles on this island are done in 3v3 real-time fashion.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
  1. Ignore the guy with a slowpoke that looks upwards, close to Bill's house (after you beat the 5-trainer gauntlet bridge).
  2. Pause the game the moment you get noticed by a trainer (easiest one is the gambler you reach if you fly to Celadon, go through the underground path, and take one step down). Only works on trainers with an aggro range of 8 that doesn't look down (because it takes an extra game step for them to adjust their direction and actually notice you; all NPCs load facing down by default - you need this extra step for the pause to register.)
  3. Fly to Cerulean and go fight the guy with a Slowpoke. (the trainer will notice you the moment the flying animation started, if you did this correctly) You must not enter any other fights on the way. (Note that you can't open the menu now, because you're formally in battle)
  4. Winning the fight did some fun stuff to your memory. Now fly to Lavender town and head left outside of town. (You will now be in the same route that trainer you escaped from is battling you)
  5. The menu pops up. Close it, and you enter a random battle against a Mew.
The wild pokémon's level is based on the ATK buff level of the last pokemon that fainted in the slowpoke guy's battle, iirc, so you can get a Lv.1 mew if you use Growl or something to minimize its ATK before taking it out... win a battle against a Caterpie or something else that gives very little experience and the Mew's EXP will underflow, instantly making it Lv.100.

All the fun with the gen1 glitches aside, I think I prefer gen 2 to this day. It's a hard choice between Emerald's battle frontier and gen 2's revisit to the first game's ENTIRE WORLD being the best postgame in the series, and every game since (I skipped out on Hamburger/Fries, Time/Space, Hamburger 2 / Fries 2, the gen2 remakes, played Baguette and ORAS, and then gave up on the series for good) basically has been redoing the same thing as the first gens with no real innovation, only more gimmicks, and getting more and more linear. I'm disappointed there's no games for, you know, adult people in the series - I'm good enough at spatial reasoning that I don't need 500 people standing in the way until I figure out where the next plot cutscene is, and maybe I wanna take a break from the evil organization shlock to go fishing or something, thanks. Hawaii edition started out good for like 10 minutes, then it railroaded you through a 40-hour tutorial, and the postgame is like 5 new people to fight and the same battle tower the GAME BOY COLOR games had. I'm still salty about it to this day. <__<

MissingNo.

I was sorely disappointed before I even got to set my name once I realized how familiar all of Oak's dialogue was, and tried to promptly return it
That honestly surprises me as I never really cared about dialogue as Pokemon has always had pretty sh*te dialogue.
From the dialogue to the stories It's just something that the series has always been terrible at.

Only Pokemon games I have seen that actually have some good writing is the Mystery Dungeon series.

It's a hard choice between Emerald's battle frontier and gen 2's revisit to the first game's ENTIRE WORLD
It's a hard choice for me because while Gen 2 gives you a whole other world to explore, once you are done with all of that there isn't much else left to do besides muliplayer.
While at least Platinum and Emerald gives you content to keep playing the game with the Battle Frontier. But it doesn't give you a another adventure like gen 2 does.
So it depends on what you want.

and getting more and more linear.
Honestly Pokemon has always been linear aside from occasionally allowing you to take another route. The story has always been linear with the player having no real effect
on what happens and progression through the world is pretty railroaded apart from the occasional alternate route.

What I would like to see is a open world Pokemon game with quests that you can take on as you please.
No more "Oh no! We are doing construction over here because you haven't finished the main plot yet!"
I feel as if Pokemon was built for this type of world but they refuse to take advantage of it.

evil organization
That is one thing I love about the Mystery Dungeon games story wise, no evil organization for once.

My favorite game is probably Platinum because of the combination of great sprite work, excellent soundtrack, atmosphere, varied terrain and memorable legendaries.
I started with the GB and GBA games but no other Pokemon game I have played has ever matched the great atmosphere gen 4 maintains this is helped by
what is in my opinion the best soundtrack the series has ever seen.

But that being said I don't find myself wanting to return to the main series games anytime soon, not even Platinum. Mainly because as I got older I started experiencing more games
and then having my own money I ended up getting to play even more games. Now after having played turned based RPGs like Darkest Dungeon, Fire Emblem and even the Pokemon
Mystery Dungeon as well as other RPGs like XCOM, the handheld Castlevania games, Hand of Fate, Fallout New Vegas and Dark Souls games I find the main series Pokemon games
Unbelievably dull and simplistic which is a shame because with all the different Pokemon critters, combat has the potential to be varied and strategic.

Last edited:
That honestly surprises me as I never really cared about dialogue as Pokemon has always had pretty ****e dialogue.
From the dialogue to the stories It's just something that the series has always been terrible at.

Only Pokemon games I have seen that actually have some good writing is the Mystery Dungeon series.
I believe you misunderstood me. What I meant was that just seconds into playing Firered, through Oak's dialogue, I discovered it was a mere remake of the only Pokemon game I had owned up until that point when I was hoping for a new adventure with new things to do.

MissingNo.

I discovered it was a mere remake of the only Pokemon game I had owned up until that point when I was hoping for a new adventure with new things to do.
Oh sorry about that, that makes sense. I thought you were saying that you were disappointed in how little they changed the dialogue. Not sure how I missed you wanting a new adventure the first time.

MissingNo.

The one I never play, because there are a thousand better RPGs to play first.
Yeah, I'm basically in the same boat. When I was younger they seemed like the best thing ever and now after been exposed to all sorts of RPGs
I can't bring myself to play them anymore.