What is your favourite Pokemon game?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LittlePipuple, Jun 17, 2019.

1. LittlePipuple

LittlePipuple Member

I wonder what gen is your favourite.

2. sofaspartan

sofaspartan Member

I always have a soft spot for generation one. Pokemon Yellow on the Game Boy was the one that I spent most of my time playing as a kid. Also way back, Burger King used to do their own set of special pokemon cards. I went absolutely nuts for that and ended up collecting the whole set.

3. Kyon

Kyon Member

I thought this was whats your favourite pokemon and I was ready to give a speech about Squirtle.
    But anyway, I also have a soft spot for generation one (pokemon blue the most). Especially for the level design.
    But I think the game I enjoyed the most as a kid was Pokemon Silver and Pokemon Crystal (with that cool Suicune storyline)

It might be because of the insane amount of content (still the only game where you can get 16 badges?), or maybe the improvement in gamedesign (faster).
    But yeah, hands down. Silver or Crystal, best generation of pokemon games.

(if we're talking about the best pokemon in generations, then of course the first generation)

sofaspartan likes this.
  4. Siolfor the Jackal

Siolfor the Jackal Member

My favourite Pokemon game is Pokemon Snap.

sofaspartan likes this.
  5. sofaspartan

sofaspartan Member

Oh man, Pokemon Snap! What great memories. Also Hey You Pikachu.

6. Bearman_18

Bearman_18 Member

Definitely yellow and d&p.
    @Kyon

7. Cantavanda

Cantavanda 〜Flower Prince〜

Pokémon Platinum, HG/SS and BW2 are god like, I think that period was the peak of Pokémon.

8. Andy

Andy Member

I have only played Red and Yellow. I played Red the most, and it’s my favorite.

9. BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55 Member

I'd have to say Red, but it's solely because it's the only one I've invested any significant amount of time into. I played through Yellow just once, and while I loved having Pikachu following me around, checking on him to make sure he's happy, the Pokemon selection not having been what I was used to, I stuck mostly to Red, even though it was then a bit weird to be walking around alone. I never even noticed the graphical differences between the two until I started properly using the internet during the early 2000's. I screwed up my first playthrough by haphazardly tossing my Master Ball at a Ponyta in that burned down mansion, and cried as I started a new save file once I couldn't catch Mewtwo no matter how hard I tried. I don't know why I was so worried about losing that Ponyta that I had to use that ball, but it hurt to learn the consequences of my mistake. I then later "ruined" my save file with the Missingno/duplication stuff. All my Pokemon were level 100 and I had more Master Balls than I needed, but my team was really weak and I always lost to my friend who levelled up his Pokemon to 100 the natural way.

In 2004, I wanted to get a new Pokemon game. I heard all about Ruby and Sapphire having all sorts of new Pokemon, several bikes to choose from, dual battles, and a bunch of new things. I was excited to try it out because I wanted a vastly new Pokemon experience, but then I heard that Firered and Leafgreen were soon coming out, so I waited for those instead, and happily bought Firered. I marvelled at Charizard on the shiny cover, plugged in the wireless adapter for kicks, and booted up the game....just to discover it was a remake of Red. I was sorely disappointed before I even got to set my name once I realized how familiar all of Oak's dialogue was, and tried to promptly return it, but they wouldn't take back my open copy, so I then played through it. It was surprisingly fun and I enjoyed all of the new enhancements (especially the running shoes) but I was still bummed that it was just the same game I had been playing for nearly a decade, albeit even easier. I never really needed any other Pokemon other than Charizard as I played through Red, but I don't think I even touched any other Pokemon at all during Firered.

I got a PSP a few years later and gave Crystal a shot via emulation. I remember how big Gold and Silver were, but I only had a Gameboy Pocket at the time, so I couldn't join in on the fun. The game kind of annoyed me with its clock, and while I didn't want to adjust it, I hated the constant darkness as I only played late at night, so I didn't get very far before giving up. I bought my then-girlfriend a DS and got her Black and Black II, but I never had the chance to try them myself. X and Y always looked interesting due to the 3D and perspective change, but I never bothered getting a 3DS. I then finally got around to emulating Emerald, and enjoyed the new features I had initially longed for, but my relationship ended not too long after and I stopped playing. Then, several years later, "Let's Go, Eevee!" caught my attention, but I stopped myself from getting it once I quickly learned that I would have been exploring the Kanto region for the third damn time. Outside of emulation, it's as if I'm cursed to just buy and play Red for the rest of my life. I did dabble in the demo, but that was it. I also tried picking up Red again on my original Pocket to comb through it for the fullest experience, while also trying to unlock Mew. The efforts needed to do so killed my enthusiasm once I reached the relevant part and I've yet to touch the game since.

I'm looking forward to Sword and Shield, and will be picking up Sword (though I feel that it should have been red, with Shield being blue). I'm excited to finally be playing a legit, proper, new Pokemon game.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    sofaspartan likes this.
  10. nacho_chicken

nacho_chicken Member

I like R/B/Y, but it's mostly nostalgia. Those games are so broken and unbalanced. G/S/C are great. R/S/E are probably my personal favorite. The ratio of interesting side-content to gimmicky messes has never been better than Emerald. You could make an argument for Platinum, though. D/P/P are great as well, but they get a huge black mark in my book for ruining secret bases and contests. Haven't played Gen 5 and up. Based on what I've seen, I've made the right choice. The direction the series is headed is not one I find enjoyable.

Don't know how you were doing it, but capturing Mew in Red was super simple last time I tried. You just need to ignore one optional trainer early in the game, do the Cerulean City Gambler fly glitch (super easy), beat the previously skipped trainer, then go to Lavender to fight/capture Mew. It should take less time to get Mew than to go through the Safari Zone.

11. BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55 Member

I believe that's the method I was attempting, but for some reason it just ruined my interest in continuing.

12. JON213

JON213 Member

I like gen 3 best. Mostly because I like it's graphics the best.

13. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

I like the original red blue and green because of the cool glitches and memory editing you can do, you cant find that stuff anywhere without hacks or mods

14. nacho_chicken

nacho_chicken Member

Yep, Game Freak have always had the best of programmers ;)
    ...Except for when Satoru Iwata fixed Gold/Silver for them. Then that but unironically. In case anyone is wondering, here's an example of arbitrary code execution in Pokemon Yellow. Everything shown can be done on original hardware.

EvanSki likes this.
  15. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

Idk if thats 100% legit, but I know this is

nacho_chicken likes this.
  16. nacho_chicken

nacho_chicken Member

Oh, it's absolutely legit. You can read more about how it was accomplished here: http://tasvideos.org/5384S.html
    [WARNING: Very technical]

EvanSki likes this.
  17. sitebender

sitebender Member

Dragon Quest Monsters!

nacho_chicken likes this.
  18. giraffeman210

giraffeman210 Member

Pokemon Gold & SIlver are my favorite games ever made!

sofaspartan likes this.
  19. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

Never played a Pokemon game in my life. Just can't bring myself to do it.

20. Jabbers

Jabbers Member

Ruby / Sapphire, but it's probably because it reminds me of being young and playing it alongside my brother. I enjoyed the remakes that were Leaf Green and Fire Red too. I lost interest after that, but maybe it was my age.

Oh well, nobody's perfect.

BattleRifle BR55 likes this.
  21. debleb

debleb Member

The first Pokemon game I ever played was Alpha Sapphire, so I'd have to say AS and my favourite generation would be 3.

22. K12gamer

K12gamer Member

I've honestly never played a Pokemon Game...but based off the Wii U video below...That would probably be my favorite.
    Would love to play an enhanced version of that game on SWITCH. One that allowed the trainers to fight alongside their Pokemon
    in tag team battles.

23. Siolfor the Jackal

Siolfor the Jackal Member

Pokken is pretty good. They did port it to Switch by the way.

Cantavanda likes this.
  24. debleb

debleb Member

well do i have some good news for you

BattleRifle BR55 and Cantavanda like this.
  25. Eliza Marshal

Eliza Marshal Member

Pokemon Snap is the game i love. The game with lots of memories.

Siolfor the Jackal likes this.
  26. Cantavanda

Cantavanda 〜Flower Prince〜

LOL

BattleRifle BR55 likes this.
  27. Old School Ben

Old School Ben Member

Poke'mon Stadium for N64 is my favorite game.

I still boot up my transfer pack and play red, blue and yellow on N64 from time to time.

Siolfor the Jackal likes this.
  28. JackRyan404

JackRyan404 Member

Pokemon Ruby all the way my friend, Pokemon Ruby fan foreverrrrrrrr