• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

What is your experience making games with others?

F

FadedSketch

I've been thinking about collaborating with others to build games, as I tend to be easily overwhelmed by all the work that needs to be done being a solo-dev. Plus in the tiny bit of experience I've had, building games with someone else is fun. :D I'm a little intimidated by it though, as I'm concerned I won't be able to keep up my end of the work / they won't be able to.

What are your guys' experiences working with others on a game? Has it been pure bliss or something you never want to face again?

also sorry if this in the wrong area or if it's been asked before and I completely missed it. ; w;

Z

zendraw

it depends on you and on the team, but its dissapointing if theres a slacker/s in the team. also some people like to beat around the bush alot becouse of santimentalities or lack of experience. what i mean by that is, you make some progress on the game and you end up in a stale situation becouse you dont know how to progress further or are attached to what you have done.

you need serious and not santimental people if you want a good collab.

Bingdom

Googledom
When teaming up for game jams, the experience is great. People tend to do their tasks well. If you're looking for experience, this is the way to go in my opinion.

But when it comes to rev-share, things get difficult... fast. You got things like trust, distribution and expected hours for each member (contracts), etc. Unless you know the person, in person (or for a long time online), it becomes difficult to go far.

So far, I've had no success with a rev-share team producing a finished game.

Last edited:
F

FadedSketch

it depends on you and on the team, but its dissapointing if theres a slacker/s in the team. also some people like to beat around the bush alot becouse of santimentalities or lack of experience. what i mean by that is, you make some progress on the game and you end up in a stale situation becouse you dont know how to progress further or are attached to what you have done.

you need serious and not santimental people if you want a good collab.
Yeah, that is my main concern honestly. Because if others don't do their work it'll fall on me and then I'll become stressed. :'D
When teaming up for game jams, the experience is great. People tend to do their tasks well. If you're looking for experience, this is the way to go in my opinion.

But when it comes to rev-share, things get difficult... fast. You got things like trust, distribution and expected hours for each member (contracts), etc. Unless you know the person, in person (or for a long time online), it becomes difficult to go far.

So far, I've had no success with a rev-share team producing a finished game.
I was thinking about making a jam game with someone else, def not a rev-share game. i'm not nearly experienced enough for that lol, :D So your reply is some good news!

Z

zendraw

what are your skills anyway? if you want we can collab on a small fun project. im mainly a programmer, but can also do graphics, still learning to do sfx and compose

W

Widget

You'll get the best data to do with working as a team when you yourself start to. Prior to last weekend, I didn't really have a clue, but now that I have entered a game jam with 3 other people as a team, I'll know what it's like for next time. Seriously, just join one of the jams on itch.io, ask if anyone wants to team up and try it yourself.

Here's some advantages:
-Lesser workload on you
-Get more ideas
-Achieve tasks which require multiple people

And the disadvantages:
-Disputes can occur
-Members can slack off/not perform properly
-Communication issues can arise

But keep in mind all the bad things might not happen if the people you're working with are good team members themselves.

F

FadedSketch

what are your skills anyway? if you want we can collab on a small fun project. im mainly a programmer, but can also do graphics, still learning to do sfx and compose
I'm primarily an artist/designer, but working on learning programming as well. Thank you so much for the offer, I really appreciate it! But I'm not quite ready to dip into a team project yet.
You'll get the best data to do with working as a team when you yourself start to. Prior to last weekend, I didn't really have a clue, but now that I have entered a game jam with 3 other people as a team, I'll know what it's like for next time. Seriously, just join one of the jams on itch.io, ask if anyone wants to team up and try it yourself.

Here's some advantages:
-Lesser workload on you
-Get more ideas
-Achieve tasks which require multiple people

And the disadvantages:
-Disputes can occur
-Members can slack off/not perform properly
-Communication issues can arise

But keep in mind all the bad things might not happen if the people you're working with are good team members themselves.
Yeah the less workload part is one thing I need, I tend to get pretty stressed out doing it all by myself. Thanks for your reply! I hope your team experience goes well for you. :D