Design What Is Your Dream Game?

J

JVGameDev

Many devs have a dream game. A game they have always wanted to design. I have always wanted to make an open world sandbox fanasy game (with elves, dwarves, dragons, ect). I want to someday do it, but I lack the skills and funds. What is your dream game?

Z

Ziphold

Ratchet and clank. (Mostly Going Commando 2)
This game has all the elements. Replayability, item collectivity, difficulty, level design, beautiful arts, interesting story and It just has this nice game juice I guess.

Edit: Look at this. How can one not love this beautiful sight?

Carnivius

This game has all the elements. Replayability, item collectivity, difficulty, level design, beautiful arts, interesting story and It just has this nice game juice I guess.

Think he meant the a game you'd love to create yourself. Not sure an already existing title counts as a 'dream game' since it actually exists and you can buy and play it. :p

Ratchet & Clank is awesome though and definitely an influence on some of my stuff even though I do very retro things.

N

Nexusrex

What is your dream game?
Welp, as a young kid and a lover of the Megaman series. I did just want to make a Jump-n-Shoot platformer inspired by Megaman and the other well-known classic platformers. (Mario, Ninja Gaiden..etc)

Roderick

Cadash

But, as the article states, it has more than a few flaws. I've been thinking about how I would fix Cadash since I was but a wee bairn. I'd love to do a big, sprawling, pseudo open world Metroidvania/Platformer RPG one day.

S

Storyteller

xenogears, with custom characters, custom mechs, an online play mode, persistent world/sandbox, new worlds to travel to and explore, stables of characters you can recruit or create from scratch... and an active fighting game mode for the arena, some of the minigames made more fleshed, basically, the Ultimate RPG.

W

Williams Saez

Well, for me, a game that i've hoped the summer vacation just weeks before the summer vacation begun the past year. It was somewhat considered a game of my dreams at the time, i think... but, now, i donĀ“t hopping it anymore because i'm design it by myself nowadays.

According to one of my photos that includes a note that i wrote in some piece of paper that involves the game mentioned before, that game is about a super cool, popular worldwide (since its release day), critically acclaimed platformer game, rated E for everyone, made by Nintendo, with no embarassing graphics (not like the thief raccoon game's one), with a excelent story on general, fantastic characters, excelent atmosphere, good music (better than Megalovania or the 1st place of the top 10 best music ever ranking) etc...

The game is a family friendly one, well, some because of its precence of Fantasy Violence, but anyways without bad language, other adult themes, disturbing stuff, etc...

And with Amiibos of the characters.

Yay! and with one of its bosses, a tall and thin lizard man, cool as heck, talks like Hip Hop men, very strong, he's a assassin (like the Assassins Creed ones), compltely black-clothed from head to toe, very cunning, very intelligent, very stealthy, very agile, acrobatic, master on martial arts, fights on the coolest way with ot without weapons, have swords, chains and a long stick as weapons, very brave and fearless, etc...
He have also, some Hades from Herclues-like face and a Bill Cipher-like voice, have his own Amiibo and he's the most popular and beloved character of all the game, because of his coolness and stuff.

Gamers like Fernandfloo play the game, and the game is a best seller one, and with that game, that past summer vacation would be the best of my life. With this phrase the note ends.

I've hoped this game for some pre-summer vacation time until the desire has been decaying during the early summer vacation. Until I decided to design a game myself, probably similar to the one i've talked about before, but...

Well, the lizard man boss from before can be included on my game, but with some changes that will probably make him cooler...

And...

Huh! I do not know what else to say... I think...

(this note ends unexpectedly without any gold clasp)

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist
GMC Elder
Some kind of 3D platformer with gravity like in the Mario Galaxy games for phones is my goal :D

Reactions: Yal
I

inkBot

One thing that I really like is taking genres and smashing them together to make something fresh or weird, preferably both. I have an idea for a racing game in that vein. It'd have to be in 3D to work, and with really solid netcode, so it's not something I could manage on my own.

Edit: It's probably worth noting that the game I'm actually working on is also a genreblend. but less off the wall like my racing game idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

0.Bytes

I would like to help to create a game as good as pokemon (the gameboy games), they are quite simple, but they were special to me and for a whole generation. So that would be my goal, be able to reach that many people and make something special

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I have several huge projects I hope I'll one day be able to make.
  • A tactics-RPG where any non-boss enemy AND every neutral NPC can be recruited as a party member if you so wish and both equipment, character classes, and passive abilities can be combined in any way you want to customize every unit for your playstyle (turning a weak mage character into an armored tank if you don't like glass cannon mage builds, for instance), with a nonlinear story based on doing story missions for each character to unlock the next mission of their story arc as well as lots of semi-randomized extra stuff so you can dungeon crawl as much as you want and stuff. This is my oldest idea, and I'm confident I can make it, but I want to make sure everything is planned out perfect before I start.
  • An N64-style collectathon exploration platformer with a focus of exploration over collecting. I have several ideas I'm toying around with, but the dominating one at the moment is making it as a sequel to one of my released games and set it in that universe.
  • A soulslike with DS2's "combine anything you want and it's still sorta playable" character build system, p2p online multiplayer, nonlinear progression and nonlinear area design based on how real buildings work (aka a lot of fishbone / tree designs).

S

Storyteller

I have several huge projects I hope I'll one day be able to make.
  • A tactics-RPG where any non-boss enemy AND every neutral NPC can be recruited as a party member if you so wish and both equipment, character classes, and passive abilities can be combined in any way you want to customize every unit for your playstyle (turning a weak mage character into an armored tank if you don't like glass cannon mage builds, for instance), with a nonlinear story based on doing story missions for each character to unlock the next mission of their story arc as well as lots of semi-randomized extra stuff so you can dungeon crawl as much as you want and stuff. This is my oldest idea, and I'm confident I can make it, but I want to make sure everything is planned out perfect before I start.
-snip-
I have a setting Im developing for something kinda like this.
My 'vision' is something like the old Dynasty Warriors games, or maybe Drakkengard or whatever it was called, except you had a tactics interface instead of a button masher. It takes place in a city (the entire game is set in this city) with various factions and agents involved in a terribly convoluted plot involving an aging hierophant-like king on the verge of death, thus plunging the city-state and nation into chaos. Areas of the city (and a few nearby areas) can be claimed by one faction or another as the war for the city goes back and forth. Watch 'Borgia' on netflix for an idea of where Im going.

I have a dozen other games to work on first, but the setting (the city) is something Im looking at incorporating into other games as a 'persistent piece of IP', something Im doing with a few other things, such as Ridley Scott's use of the Weyland-Yutani corporation in both Aliens and Bladerunner. Im actually much better at developing IP than games, just trying to get into the swing of production.

Reactions: Yal
T

Thexel PIN

A Bullet Hell where you make decisions based on your actions. Also the story is an emotional rollercoaster with many endings and there is sick music like this:
Of course, that is my "Dream Game". If I'm ever capable of doing something like that is another thing TuT"

W

Williams Saez

A Bullet Hell where you make decisions based on your actions. Also the story is an emotional rollercoaster with many endings and there is sick music like this:
Of course, that is my "Dream Game". If I'm ever capable of doing something like that is another thing TuT"
Huh? At the being i thinked you are talking about another game that is similar to the one you've talked about, a famous RPG on Steam, with a punnybones (is one of the most popular characters) as a example of its characters.

Well, i've enjoyed with this game the past year, but now it bores me because of reseting multiple times the game after completely finish it because of its short leght and lack of funness??? this is the reason of i decided to make my game so long and so fun.
Well, this game has also a lack of martial arts, this is because i've planned to add them in the game...
Well, my game, compared with the other, has various changes for make the game more fun, bigger, longer and uncut, but i've added it not because the other game hasn't it yet, it's because i've enjoyed with those stuff before, during and after enjoying with that game, for example, the another-kind- jokes, they make the game a great, highly enjoyable adventure full of fun and laughs, but they are for other thing i've enjoyed...
An example of a scene of my game with jokes is...
Imagine an scene that is a remix of a certain funny scene of some show from Chespirito, and another one from that game, i've enjoyed with both of these...
Another is... imagine a scary scene that makes you have the feeling of a jumpscare will came to you, it gets ruined and made it funny because of the appearance of a certain scary monster that is actually a comical guy that makes the people laugh. Yes! Firstly you get horrorized, then you get laughing of the joke

Well, there's more...

There's another example of what i decided to put in the game just because the other game doesn't have that: Imagine the first boss of Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, on a summer day at the backyard, wearing jeans and sunglasses, while he can't fly enjoys the time junping and jumping on a trampoline (you can make an artwork of it if you imagine it if you want), then occurs something that's part of the cotidian life with all this... with jokes or not.

Well, probably that was all by now...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 467

I got four games in the vault that I want to make.

Obviously Teufel: The Corrupted One is one of them. Though that one is on hold for a while.

Second is a sequel to Teufel as the ending is kind of cliff-hangery, and you barely play as the character "Teufel" in the game. So the sequel resolves that, and gives me an excuse to make a 3D game.

Oddly enough the game that started all of this: Bunaria. I mean, it and Teufel are different enough that I could maybe one day take another shot at Bunaria.

And finally, one that I've had in my head since I was like ... 7. So yeah, I guess a 12 year old game idea that has always been edited and edited and edited. I've tried a few times in the past to make the game, Razorclaw, but didn't have the skill to make it. Really I don't even know if I do now, art wise.

T

Thexel PIN

Huh? At the being i thinked you are talking about another game that is similar to the one you've talked about, a famous RPG on Steam, with a punnybones (is one of the most popular characters) as a example of its characters.

Well, i've enjoyed with this game the past year, but now it bores me because of reseting multiple times the game after completely finish it because of its short leght and lack of funness??? this is the reason of i decided to make my game so long and so fun.
Well, this game has also a lack of martial arts, this is because i've planned to add them in the game...
Well, my game, compared with the other, has various changes for make the game more fun, bigger, longer and uncut, but i've added it not because the other game hasn't it yet, it's because i've enjoyed with those stuff before, during and after enjoying with that game, for example, the another-kind- jokes, they make the game a great, highly enjoyable adventure full of fun and laughs, but they are for other thing i've enjoyed...
An example of a scene of my game with jokes is...
Imagine an scene that is a remix of a certain funny scene of some show from Chespirito, and another one from that game, i've enjoyed with both of these...
Another is... imagine a scary scene that makes you have the feeling of a jumpscare will came to you, it gets ruined and made it funny because of the appearance of a certain scary monster that is actually a comical guy that makes the people laugh. Yes! Firstly you get horrorized, then you get laughing of the joke

Well, there's more...
I'm not too interested in RPGs too much. Turn based combats and grinding bore me to hell. That is why I like Bullet Hells. They are pretty, they are intense, and still have good background stories (at least most).

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
A Bullet Hell where you make decisions based on your actions. Also the story is an emotional rollercoaster with many endings
I think that already exists, I remember @Tsuka mentioning some touhou/phoenix wright fangame along those lines. Sadly, the only thing I can say about the name is "it's the typical 10-word salad as all the other touhou games". Something along the lines of "White Lies Never Die: Engage The Evidence", but I'm pretty sure that's not the actual name.

I'm not too interested in RPGs too much. Turn based combats and grinding bore me to hell. That is why I like Bullet Hells. They are pretty, they are intense, and still have good background stories (at least most).
And of course, there's games that are both.

Actually, it feels like the danmaku/RPG genre has a lot of untapped potential, so it'd be nice to see some more "standard" games using it - apart from Undertale and its fangames, there's only Nier:Automata as far as I'm aware, and that's also one of those avant-garde storytelling games with a lowered focus on gameplay experience that in some ways hurt it, especially on repeat playthroughs when the magic is gone.

Last edited:
G

Guest User

seconding this, i've always had this dream of making a 2D Ratchet & Clank.

it's been wonderful to develop so far but my first game takes precedence.
plus it's illegal so i need to come up with my own characters and such, and i'm just too lazy to do all that right now :p

JackTurbo

My dream game is actually the one I'm working on.

It's a tactical rpg in a distopian sci-fi universe of my own making. That takes inspiration from a variety of sources including; firefly, syndicate, the expanse and shadow run.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
seconding this, i've always had this dream of making a 2D Ratchet & Clank.

it's been wonderful to develop so far but my first game takes precedence.
plus it's illegal so i need to come up with my own characters and such, and i'm just too lazy to do all that right now :p
Beat you to that with like 7 years, lol :p Hit me up if you'd like some concept art and game design ideas, platform shooters is my forte~
upload_2017-7-2_23-35-57.png

W

Williams Saez

Traditional RPGs can be boring because of its turn based combat, but RPGs with obstacle-dodging on those parts (like on my game or the other one Yal had mentioned are fun, right?

Well, with my game, at least, besides the obstacle dodging on turn based combat, there's more stuff that make the game funnier like the gags.

With the game Yal mentioned and i've mentioned before Yal, i've had fun with the game moving the main character at the rythm of the background music, and commeting a fun glitch that i've learned on a video of a no-hit boss of the same game by pressing the up and down arrow keys together when the character is very near of a wall, with this, look what happens. Ha, ha, what some good times... even more fun with the other stuff like Chespirito or the playstation thief raccoon character...

W

Wraithious

I've been working on and off for over 3 years developing my dream game Green Police Mennace, (Demo) which is an action rpg / real life sim, but for the last year I have been cranking out small games, apps, and extensions of every style to try and get my graphics skills and programming skills up to par to finish the game, (and will keep doing so until I get it right) it's going to be huge, I've completed 3 areas out of 15, each area has about 150 'rooms' (really all areas are in one room and the gameplay 'rooms' are all done in code in that single room) but it's taking forever because each room has different locations for exits so has to be individually coded for it to come out looking realistic, as well as all the quests and large storyline, quality cut scenes, etc

Khao

It's not terribly creative, but I've had the idea for a while to make somewhat of a mix between games like Zelda and Mega Man. The actual gameplay would be closer to Mega Man, with platforming, enemies with unique patterns, high-mobility, and powerful bosses with their own special abilities. But the general structure would be closer to that of a Zelda game, in that you got an explorable overworld and dungeons filled with several different challenges and even some puzzle-solving. You'd also have some small optional fun secret objectives to obtain stuff like health expansions and šŸ’©šŸ’©šŸ’©šŸ’©, which falls in line with both genres.

It'll always be easy to go fall into the trap of going overboard with content in a game like this, but if I'd ever actually go through with it, I'd actually keep it fairly on the small side. Got a few interesting systems in mind that would allow you to customize your playstyle quite a bit, which would keep things fresh, though I don't really got anything beyond loose ideas.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
It's not terribly creative, but I've had the idea for a while to make somewhat of a mix between games like Zelda and Mega Man. The actual gameplay would be closer to Mega Man, with platforming, enemies with unique patterns, high-mobility, and powerful bosses with their own special abilities.
Have you ever played Zelda II? It's basically pretty much that, so it could be interesting to check out for inspiration. (It's also a really early NES game so it's very simple compared to all the fluff the more modern Castlevania games tacked on)

Khao

Have you ever played Zelda II? It's basically pretty much that, so it could be interesting to check out for inspiration. (It's also a really early NES game so it's very simple compared to all the fluff the more modern Castlevania games tacked on)
Yeah, played it from start to end twice actually. Totally a great reference, though there's a lot of things I wouldn't handle remotely the same way. Wouldn't have a top down map for one, or a level-up system (I actually want to stay as far away as possible from having numbers). Definitely want to study the dungeon design though, and I'd love to be able to capture a similar combat "feel". I wouldn't have the same structure, but there's a lot of elements from Zelda II that are pretty much exactly what I want. Castlevania would be a nice source of inspiration too, but kind of dangerous at the same time. As much as I love them, I don't want to end up with a Metroidvania. Just an non-linear action-adventure that happens to be presented with a side-scrolling perspective, if that makes sense.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
To be one hundered 100% Honest with anyone who reads this post...

Something so similar as this: http://www.echoesgame.com/play.html

I played this when I was 12 or so, and as of today, It's still as good as I remember.

So in general: 2D platform sidescroller shooters are my inspiration, mostly Flash games I played throughout my game flooded childhood :)

hippyman

My dream game is easily "Skate 4" since the Skate series was hands-down my FAVORITE series of games... period.

Some other dream games would be an extended version of GTA:Online or a driving sim with insane amounts of customization options.

G

GenaCtoto

Multiplayer RPG about Middle Ages, where you can play as a common villager, common soldier and other common people. Not all this RPG's with heroes, magic and other such stuff. From childhood to an old man.

V

Vrok

A shmup set in 20-30 years in the future, where a modified mechanical pencil takes on a gang of bullies' army of small machines, weaponised stationery, and other creative creations. The player ship would have a shield bar showing how many hits before losing a life and bullets dealing various damage depending on colour and type, inspired by Demonstar, a shmup I have been playing (and literally memorized the whole game) for 10 years. The bullet patterns were originally similar to that aforementioned game, but once I knew Raiden (then other bullet hells followed)... cue the fast bullets that of Raiden and Psikyo games. There would be bullet grazing, Raiden-esque weapon system, and big score bonuses for not using bombs, not losing lives, and not taking damage. Simple as that, because I noticed a lot of shmups wants you to bomb if you want to go for score (Raiden V's speedkill multiplier comes to mind, so expect a lot of bombing on bosses when you watch a high score run of Raiden V), and very few shmups that reward you for not losing lives (CAVE games, Darius) and/or not bombing (Touhou's Spell Card bonuses, to be precise). Oh yeah, and each run keeps track of how many feats you earned in that run (e.g. 1 coin clear, no damaged, no miss).

That's one dream game I'm working on, and I have more under my sleeve. One of them is a real-time strategy game.

E

ethian

My game of my dreams for now is... a game that is supposed to make me go nuts... but actually not because of some limitation (I don't know what is...)
  • Must be a retro-styled videogame, with pixel graphics and chiptune mixed with real-life instruments or something else.
  • Must be an RPG that is not boring.
  • Must be a game that feels like you're watching an animated movie at the cinema, so must include one Nuts Goner (What's a nuts goner? is a character that makes me go nuts! for more info, see here:https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/reboot-nuts-goners.50789/))
  • Must be a good alternative to pass the time.
  • Must be a game that you can't get stuck (That's bad!)
  • Must be a long-seeming game.
  • Must be a game with much details on the maps or something else... it's actually unnecesary, but makes the game be full-seeming.
  • Must be a game which you can enjoy finishing it over and over and over.
  • Must be a game that violence isn't the right choice, there's something better than defeating villians killing them.
  • Must be a family friendly game, with no blood nor foul language.
  • Must be a game where you can have fun defeating villians.
  • Must be a game with dishes to eat for heal if you're hurt.
  • Must be an universal game, despite being for all ages, it also includes the same massive multicontent children's TV channels have (Desert, Kung Fu, Egypt, Wild West, China, etc...)
  • Must include an ending that... inlcludes Broadway show music or something else that is used for the credits.
  • Must include sick music on the OST... i guess.
  • Must include the cartoon noises...
  • Must include PAL pitchs on some of the OST (or something else...)
  • Probably more (There will be constant updates...)
Well, i was enjoying by dancing with nuts goners from children's TV channels since one year ago by now... but now it's enough.... i'm a vulgarity-hater highschooler... it's embarassing to do that stuff at this age, right?

Now i need to take an eternal break from all the nuts goners of the world, even refusing to go to my young cousins' birthday parties... until a few months after finishing my project, that is the game of my dreams.

Taking that eternal break, i'll just enjoy with things that are just something... and do other stuff that i did before, before enjoying truly with nuts goners... i was wishing it before, but before, was a better era... i guess...

So, what do you think?

Last edited:
E

ethian

In a few words, my dream game is a random, mature-content-free, and famous videogame that makes me go nuts.

C

Capptianm

I would like to create a game inspired by the Megaman Battle Network and Star Force games. the combat style was always fun to me, and i want to put my own spin on it

A

Anastasia Stefanuk

Oh, I would like to create something like Don't Starve

E

ethian

My dream game/the game i want to have must meet the next requisits :
  1. No Foul Language
  2. No S*xual content
  3. No Dr*gs
  4. No Gruesome scenes of blood
  5. No Hard Difficulty
  6. Soundtrack is good

I've been working on my dream game for a little over 3 years now, and it's not even half way done lol. Once I serve my time though, I definitely plan on going back to it. It's a passion project of mine that I feel the world needs to see. To keep it simple, it's a metroidvania based on overcoming temptation and facing your fears, with it a heart-grasping narrative between a son and his friends & family in the midst of an apocalypse. A game built to help with mental struggles such as depression and anxiety, that's my dream game.

M

mamacato

First post here.

My dream games at the moment are:
mamacat
The Wand Maker (no magic despite the name)
Prequel to NeonCity

Pfap

I have always had the most fun and fondest memories playing games like smash bros and wwe games with my brothers. My dream game is honestly always something that supports split screen and brings people closer to each other. Yea, the internet is cool, but people is where the heart is... I want to make a game that people intuitively understand and can play with each other during Christmas. Content wise it would need to be simple, but take close to 20 minutes to master.