• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Opinion 'What is wrong with this generation?' An answer.

C

ConsolCWBY

During my time, walking this Earth and interacting with many different peoples, there seems to be this 'generation-gap' thing which people believe in. During my brief stint here posting on GMC, I have heard - however - people looking down at their own gen. A strange thing indeed. Being from what is called, Generation X, I never believed in this paradigm - it's just way too narrow and media influenced.

With that said, I believe there is an overall difference in thought between those born during different times in history. For myself, I have lived through many 'historical crises' which has shaped my thoughts and opinions (to say nothing of the influences of pop-culture, pop psuedo-intellectualism, etc). If I was to be brutally honest about my own generation, it would be this: a lack of prioritizing. To illustrate my point, see the below spoilers. But be warned, it isn't pretty...
For myself knowing that we are now teachers, parents, business people, etc. - it is a frightening thing what we are.

TL;DR: Don't get so down about your generation. They seem to get better AND worse over time!

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Every generation is full of people that don't get raised to have their own personality, thus completely copy the standard society-personalities. An example, try to look at the facebook profiles of 15 female teenagers aged 12-16, and you will not be able to differentiate tastes and a personality. The behavior thus is completely dependant of the society, what is acceptable, the way of acting, what is popular, and so on. Society always had 💩💩💩💩ty 💩💩💩💩ing bull💩💩💩💩 things, and good things. I will not go over examples what is bad/good now, and in the past, we all know that. But the major reason I think our generation looks worse then ever is because of the internet, this generation is just more visible then ever, before, you only knew you and your school friends, now, you see you, your school friends, and trazillions of other kids from all over the world, famous kids like Jacob Sartorious, cringy kids from the cringe compilations, a lot of screencaps and so on from dumb things some kids say, AND SO ON. But again, we are also more exposed to good examples of all kinds, stretching the gap even more. And of the kids, the worst examples often get shown, making litirally every 15-years-old to believe those horrible 12-years-olds are evil and trash omg, because of those very easy generalisations! There's also subcultures like emo's, swaggers and otakus that really like to look down on other people because of differences, which kinda makes me think of politics, they see the bad things of each other while actually being all the same amount of good/bad.

So yeah, more information leads to more looking down.

As Law's Vsauce video said, I recommend watching it, we always thought of the previous one as bad, even in the medieval times, now we aren't worse/better, but the "Juvenoia"/thinking it's bad HAS increased.

C

ConsolCWBY

In some ways it was unfair of me to post BOTH the relevant XKCD and the relevant Vsauce at the same time.
On the other hand, I like likes.

@Cantavanda :
So yeah, more information leads to more looking down.
So, do you believe the paradigm shift - as stated in the VN "don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story" - to be a problem in the future? I, myself, find it a horrible shift away from personal responsibility and integrity. And thanks for a great post!

Last edited by a moderator:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
@Consol: +like for even knowing about My Dinner with Andre.

Generational differences are real. Some traits are unique to each new generation. And other traits are the same ones the previous generation exhibited as youths -- and have since forgotten.

I've watched that film (Andre) many times, throughout the various stages of my life. And it's made me realize that the changes we go through as we age, are bigger than any differences between generations. The first time I heard Andre's explanations about the world, I just thought he was a kook. Later, I decided he might be on to something.

And now I'm sure he was right about a lot of things.

C

ConsolCWBY

@chance: I majored in broadcasting before mistakenly changing into computer information. So, My Dinner with Andre is one of many films I studied and have always admired. What surprises me is anyone here knowing about that film! For some reason, I picture gamedevs as being creatures in a dark corner, hunched over their keyboards swearing while drinking anything caffeinated, while their loved ones morn their existential 'passing'. But seriously, it's good to know people besides cinema-snobs 'gets' it. :)

I try not to immerse myself in the "old days" sentiments or cacophonies about how the newer generation is supposedly wrong in every aspect of life. Can things be better? Certainly! Is it all bad? No.

I do agree that we should not let our generation get us down. Crass generalizations or stigmas of a particular generation do not define the individual within the demographic.

S

seanm

"What's wrong with this generation" has got to be one of the greatest memes of mankind.

What's wrong is that the people saying it are from the previous generation.

A

Alex Lyons

What's wrong with this generation is that the youth are not taught discipline, character, and really anything of importance in schools and by their parents. This could be brought on by economic conditions or advancing technology. The media has portrayed things like "respect" and "responsibility" as old fashioned and that in life, the most important thing is to care about yourself and not give a hoot about others.

Don't worry, the coming zombie apocalypse will provide opportunities to learn said skills.

Lukasmah

What's wrong with this generation is that the youth are not taught discipline, character, and really anything of importance in schools and by their parents. This could be brought on by economic conditions or advancing technology. The media has portrayed things like "respect" and "responsibility" as old fashioned and that in life, the most important thing is to care about yourself and not give a hoot about others.

Don't worry, the coming zombie apocalypse will provide opportunities to learn said skills.
“Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more
worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more
corrupt.”
-Quintus Horatius Flaccus

Last edited:

Lukasmah

old people were once children too, those who love luxury, bad manners etc just outweighs the few, and usually it's too late for them when they come to a point of realization
Okay, I probably used the wrong quote as its origin is questionable and it's unclear if that was actually Socrates. Replaced with a considerably more recent quote but also a slightly more... Verifiable one.

Anyway, that's not my point. At all. It's more about how old the quote is.