What is this for a Symbol??

P

Paul Sperling

A 1 isnt it. when I write the 1 have the 1 a another calour but in the tutorial the 1 is white. How I do this? Thanks for help!

Attachments

it should be i (lower case letter) not the number 1. variables must always start use a letter up front. I try to avoid letter I and 1 and O and 0 just for that reason. best to avoid confusion is your can
An alternative to not using certain characters in variable names would be to find a better programming font to help distinguish those characters. It looks like OP is using Courier New, which -- despite being the default on many Windows programs -- is a fairly bad programming font. Nearly no difference between 1 and l and no slashed/dotted zero, among other issues. Consolas is barely any better and still has the same issue with the former, with the added issue of 8 and & being easier to confuse.

I'm insane and prefer the Proggy family of fonts (specifically Crisp) for personal use, but I am partial to some of the larger, rounder fonts for general use. Source Code Pro and Ubuntu Mono are both great free options.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If you don't mind the non-monospace, Comic Sans is optimized for having characters that are easily distinguishable.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
syntax highlighting can help tell you what type of keyboard key you pressed such as 1 and 0 being red for Constants and I and O being blue for Variables and Yellow for Local Variables
though you can change the colors in the preferences

Last edited:

rIKmAN

I code in wingdings soo, I can easily distinguish different characters, even if syntax highlighting tells me what type of keyboard key i pressed such as 1 and 0 being red for Constants and I and O being blue for Variables and Yellow for Local Variables
though you can change the colors in the preferences
I never thought Iā€™d see you post anything more useful than your ā€œHow to PM a userā€ guide, but here we are.

Sorry, did I say ā€œusefulā€?
I meant ā€œuselessā€.