• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion What is the purpose of requiring extension function arguments to be the same type if there are more than four arguments?

hippyman

There's really not any more to this question. I just simply do not understand the reasoning behind this. I was hoping somebody would have an explanation. Because it makes no sense to me and feels like one more thing that limits what extension creators can do without having to jump through a million seemingly pointless hoops.

S

Sybok

It‘s just one of those internal ‘how it is’ things. How’s it’s always been.

Don’t get me wrong, I find it a pain also.

Aside from that, what other support were you looking for? I’m extremely comfortable with the extension system and happy to help where I can.

hippyman

Just one of those "how it is" things isn't an answer. It's just accepting it for what it is.
I'm not looking for help. I was hoping there was a more low-level answer. Maybe there was something with programming where having more than four arguments requiring the same data type that I didn't know about. I've personally never read/heard anything like that so it just makes no sense at all to me.

Extensions with GMS has been lacking for a very long time.
There's no api to actually work with Gamemaker so we're completely on our own. Practically no documentation.
The extension creator is buggy as all get out. Randomly not saving added files, functions, etc.

I've been messing around with making extensions for a while so I'm not exactly new to the show.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
If the reason for this isn't documented in the manual or the knowledge base, the only people who can give you an actual answer will be YoYo Games, so you should contact the helpdesk and see if they're willing to share some internal knowledge.

hippyman

If the reason for this isn't documented in the manual or the knowledge base, the only people who can give you an actual answer will be YoYo Games, so you should contact the helpdesk and see if they're willing to share some internal knowledge.
I'm not sure why I didn't consider this. You're probably right about this being my best option.

Why use arguments when you can send ds_maps & lists

Classic GMC argument. Why do something the way everybody else does it when you could do some completely unorthodox thinking out-of-the-box way?!

I'll be contacting the support desk. This was a pointless post.