What is a good UI layout for a command-line based Hacking game?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I really like The layout of HackNet But I dont want to rip it off and use for my own game

At the same time I really like Uplinks HD UI remake

The elements I know 100% I want in my game would be the Terminal log, cool effects for hacking tools, and a trace counter
So here is my mock up, Main website looking screen Hackingtools effects Terminal Log
smallUIMockup.png
I main questions are, Does it make sense? (try to imagine a final UI layout) Is it ripping off the other two games I mentioned?
What is you idea of a good layout using these themes?

Last edited:

HayManMarc

Not sure, but what about making the UI layout customizable so the player can design the layout the way they prefer? It would be extra work, but would give the player a sense of control and offer a personalized feel for the player. Just a thought.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Not sure, but what about making the UI layout customizable so the player can design the layout the way they prefer? It would be extra work, but would give the player a sense of control and offer a personalized feel for the player. Just a thought.
That is a lot of work, But I love that Idea

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I agree... in my day-to-day job (which involves a lot of command line jabberwockying) being able to figure out which of your five thousand open windows is the one that has the thing you want is a constant challenge, so it's a very realistic thing you could do a lot with. There's a game called Kingsway that's made in GM which has window management as a central mechanic, and a lot of its mechanics would translate 1:1 to a hacking game (e.g. quickly closing down "attack" windows when you're assaulted by enemy hackers or digital countermeasures, or your system gets damaged).

Also while you're at it, you might wanna steal a bunch of ideas from Yahtzee's hacking game:

i.e, most hacking challenges include mashing the keyboard quickly, but it doesn't really matter WHICH keys you mash, thereby making you feel like a movie hacker.