• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED What install options do I install in Visual Studio 2019 to setup the YYC compiler?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
As the name says, what install options do I need to install to get the compiler to work, as the example https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235186048-Setting-Up-For-Windows is for Visual studio 2017

Untitled.png

I want to use 2019 as It seems wise to use up to date products, However

Am I required to download 2017?
Is it okay to use 2017 without security/compatibility issues?
Or can I just use 2019?

If i can use 2019 what install options do I need to use as The ones in the guide above dont seem to match in 2019.

Last edited:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
The GMS 2 Required SDK article does imply that you can use VS2019 on GMS 2.3.1, so you don't have to go back to VS2017 unless you need to downgrade GMS.

Given the wording, these seem to be the new equivalents in VS2019:
  • MSVC v142 - VS 2019 C++ x64/x86 build tools
  • Windows 10 SDK
  • C++ ATL for latest v142 build tools (x86 & x64)
  • C++ MFC for latest v142 build tools (x86 & x64)
If the above isn't enough, these may need to be added on top:
  • C++ Modules for v142 build tools
  • Windows 10 SDK (latest version only, unless you are held back for a specific reason)
You might also want to report the missing VS2019 SDK instructions on the helpdesk and ask for clarification.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
The GMS 2 Required SDK article does imply that you can use VS2019 on GMS 2.3.1, so you don't have to go back to VS2017 unless you need to downgrade GMS.

Given the wording, these seem to be the new equivalents in VS2019:
  • MSVC v142 - VS 2019 C++ x64/x86 build tools
  • Windows 10 SDK
  • C++ ATL for latest v142 build tools (x86 & x64)
  • C++ MFC for latest v142 build tools (x86 & x64)
If the above isn't enough, these may need to be added on top:
  • C++ Modules for v142 build tools
  • Windows 10 SDK (latest version only, unless you are held back for a specific reason)
You might also want to report the missing VS2019 SDK instructions on the helpdesk and ask for clarification.
I installed those components and everything worked out shipshape!
I sent the helpdesk a request for clarification and a setup guide update if possible.

Thank you for you help @FrostyCat

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff