• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion What Happened to the 3D FPS Tutorials?

M

mimsi

I've been searching forever for an equivalent to the PDF that used to come with EVERY single version of gamemaker since I can remember which teaches the basics of drawing 3D walls and setting up billboard sprites along with fog and other basic things. With all of the old d3d_* functions obsolete, I was hoping to find an up to date version of this. I did find another thread similar to mine where the advice given was to search the old GMC because google doesn't list it anymore. I ran into the problem of only finding code that supports legacy versions. Since then, I have lost track of the link to the thread, so I made my own.

I have searched google and found tutorials, but unfortunately, it seems that no one knows how to read anymore because all of them are in video format. This would be fine if I didn't have to sift through half an hour of video to try and figure out if the particular tutorial is even what I'm looking for or remotely relevant. Almost all of the other tutorials I can find for 3D are for previous versions of gamemaker which use d3d_* functions making them next to useless for me.

I've been able to learn a couple of things like how to set up a camera. Apparently you can use tiles in a room instead of d3d_draw_floor(). This is cool, but since I don't know how to draw a floor besides use of tiles, I also can't draw walls. I agree that I am able to figure these things out, but I'm more concerned about newer users that have never even worked with legacy gamemaker 3D functionality. I really consider it a let down that the tutorials for GMS2 are very lacking compared to the awesome pdf's that came out with GM6.

I might be persuaded to figure out how 3D works and to generate a new PDF file to teach these things depending on the feedback I get on this post and whether anyone might know if this tutorial already exists obscurely somewhere. Also, I'm going to have to actually figure out the ins and outs of how gamemaker handles buffers and matrices. And more really. What was covered in d3d is now spread across 4 sections. Many of the old functions I used for my tinkering don't have a direct translation to current code. Frankly it'd be more beneficial for me to just use Unity instead of trying to figure this out which is a shame because I like this product for what it is. I feel like technologically, GMS2 took a step forward, but it took a step backward in functionality support by having limited tutorials written by the people developing the software.

EDIT: As an example of the fine quality tutorials that used to exist, here's the link to the old tutorials. I don't know where the English version is, but frankly I found these pdf's more helpful than any video tutorial ever.

http://www.game-maker.nl/tutorials

Last edited by a moderator:

Juju

Good question.

I'm currently working on a 3D system that'll be open source, but it's not a replacement for a good tutorial or two.

M

mimsi

I seriously wanted to make a game similar to how Delver looks. Simple dungeon crawling RPG in first person view with 16 bit billboard sprites. I shouldn't have to use Unreal Engine 4 or Unity for this. Like really. But I know how to use those platforms for this purpose better than gamemaker which is kind of funny and sad. Gamemaker swapping around the right and left handedness is already very strange to me and took a minute for me to debug. A tutorial would take some work for me even to do the simplest thing in 3d because it's simply very different from everything I know, and the support in the manual is limited in scope. I don't know who did it, but there was the most amazing set of tutorials for gamemaker 6 or 7 that was about 30-some full length tutorials or more in scope. It covered everything from the basics to awesome things like cell shading by drawing your spheres inside out and even impossible rooms. I would love to make that tutorial series up to date, but the basics of the GMS2 3D is taking forever to learn. I'm basically experimenting. I feel like I'm inventing the theory of physics for the 3D functions from scratch through hours and hours of experimentation.

wadaltmon

I realize this is a dead topic, but I recently just found the old PDF and example .gmk files for the FPS (with the guide written by Mark Overmars) when going through the hard drive of my old PC. If anyone wants them, feel free to respond.

I realize this is a dead topic, but I recently just found the old PDF and example .gmk files for the FPS (with the guide written by Mark Overmars) when going through the hard drive of my old PC. If anyone wants them, feel free to respond.
fps6.gmk still lives!

I probably have them all on an old hard drive, as well. I know I have some other examples from ThatGamesGuy too, I believe.