• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

What happened to Graphics section?

K

K3TCH_P

Hi there,

I have recently rejoined GMC after a very long hiatus to participate in the Jam.
My favorite and most contributed sections were the Programming Q&A and Graphics sections however it seems that Graphics does't exist anymore.

I assume the rationale would be along the lines of moving towards a "Game Maker" only focus which does not really include pixel art...

Was there a post/info about the removal of all the missing subforums?

Cheers,
K3TCH_P

I

icuurd12b42

Jeez you have been gone a long time. Graphics was nuked like 6 years ago

And the rational was more like GM is coding... if you want art go to an art site

Ninety

Game development isn't just about coding. Art and music and sound design and story are all critical parts of the development process.

The resources forum wasn't removed because they wanted a code only forum. It was removed because it sucked.

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
The Graphics section might have been removed, but you can still use the GMC for most purposes it used to serve:
  • if you want feedback on your graphics or want to have any sort of discussions about visuals of your game or games in general, you can use the GDD&P forum
  • if you want graphics made for yourself by an artist, you can post a request in the Collaboration forum
  • if you want to offer your services to others, you can also use the Collaboration forum for posting your portfolio
  • if you want to give away graphics you have made (for free or for a price), you can put them up on Marketplace and post a topic for your asset in the Marketplace forum - and promote it in your signature, profile and whatnot; or better yet, use a site that is meant specifically for sharing graphics, since they are more likely to get exposure there than in an obscure forum
Basically, the staff has been trying to cut down on the number of forums and sub-forums as much as possible. Topic prefixes and more general & broad forum categories have been introduced in this effort. It gets rid of the dead junkyards that those sub-forums used to become and confuses less new members; it has been working pretty well so far, albeit topics are still misplaced, but there's definitely less confusion.