Design What Games Use This Projection

mar_cuz

Hi guys,

What other games use this type of projection?
images.png images.jpeg
I know earthbound, divine divinity and even the cool looking sock sock goes pop pop on this forum use this angle. Also, some platformers also use this style though I am looking for top down rpg style games that use it.

Thanks

mar_cuz

See: Paperboy (1985)

This type of projection is typically called oblique projection. You'll have more luck looking up examples if you use the proper terms.
Thanks. I've tried oblique projection, cavalier projection and cabinet projection as well. There's doesn't seem to be many games made with that style I think. At least from what I can find

Thanks. I've tried oblique projection, cavalier projection and cabinet projection as well. There's doesn't seem to be many games made with that style I think. At least from what I can find
Ultima 6/7
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Prince of Persia
Simcity
Pac-Mania

There's plenty of games that use this kind of projection.

Khao

Surprisingly enough, this perspective is more frequently used by side scrollers than by top-down games.

If you want to easily see tons of examples, look for Beat 'Em Up games created during the NES and SNES eras. Double Dragon. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Battletoads. Most 2D Beat 'Em Ups use this perspective to some extent.

Last edited:

mar_cuz

Surprisingly enough, this perspective is more frequently used by side scrollers than by top-down games.

If you want to easily see tons of examples, look for Beat 'Em Up games created during the NES and SNES eras. Double Dragon. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Battletoads. Most 2D Beat 'Em Ups use this perspective to some extent.
Thanks I will check them out

YanBG

@mar_cuz hey man i see that you couldn't make isometric to work out, is it because of the tiles depth? I'm tempted to change the projection too.

mar_cuz

@mar_cuz hey man i see that you couldn't make isometric to work out, is it because of the tiles depth? I'm tempted to change the projection too.
I was using objects and it was the speed that was the issue. I wanted much bigger rooms and found large rooms lagged too much.

Depth and clipping wasn't an issue because I made the collision mask larger than the width of the walls so the player couldn't get close enough to clip through. That seemed to work fine it just couldn't seem to handle all the objects.

YanBG

I was using objects and it was the speed that was the issue. I wanted much bigger rooms and found large rooms lagged too much.
I'm using tiles and don't have issue with speed. 300-500fps with 1600 tiles(adding grass, rocks and items would double that though), i delete them when they are outside of view and place them again later(chunk system).

My problem is the 45 degrees orientation, i can't use only -y for depth.
Depth and clipping wasn't an issue because I made the collision mask larger than the width of the walls so the player couldn't get close enough to clip through.
Yeah i was doing it too but lately i learned that diablo2 had 5x5 grid cells inside each terrain tile image(160x80 pixels), each small one having it's own value if passable or not. This way i can have very small objects and the player can walk(or jump) right next to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob