• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

What game mechanics could improve Donkey Kong Country?

H

HandicapableOne

I'm making a game inspired by the SNES DKC series. I was wondering what others thought that could improve the gameplay (if even possible lol). Double jump or a triple jump like in Mario. Slide or wall jump. What are your ideas?

G

Guest User

iirc one of the biggest problems i had with DKC was always the collisions. its pretty darn hard to gauge exactly what part of the rounded edges the floor "stops" and sometimes the collisions with enemies just didn't seem...right.

NeoShade

I think that a wall jump wouldn't be out of place for some characters, but I would definitely suggest limiting it to only one or two wall jumps before before they player has to hit the ground again. It jsut seems to me that DKC could play as a pretty fast paced game, and given they're monkeys and gorillas, a wall jump seems like the kind of thing they would be able to do.

I only played all the way through DKC1. I think I rented DKC3 once and played some if it, but I don't remember it well, so if this is already a thing in the later games, I apologise.
If I were you, I'd also try to improve the "swinging from stuff" mechanic of the game. To me, climbing on and swinging from ropes in DKC always felt slow and a bit unrealistic because the roles were always so rigid. I'd really like to see looser movement of ropes, and the ability to jump from one to another much more quickly. Maybe even include a few different ways of handling ropes, such as holding onto one rope in each hand, dropping straight down from a rope rather than jumping off it, holding onto the rope with feet or a tail to hang upside-down perhaps. I think there's a lot that can be done with swinging... maybe even to the point where most of the game is played in the treetops, rather than on platforms or on the ground.

NeoShade

It's not the gameplay that needs improving.
Nobody said that the gameplay in DKC needed improving... it was and still is a fantastic game in pretty much every aspect.

The question is what could improve the gameplay. A thing doesn't have to be bad before it can be improved.

That's not to say that it was perfect though - it's naive to assume that absolutely nothing could be done to improve the gameplay of any game.

Last edited:

RangerX

And your question is greatly flawed anyways 'cause Donkey Kong Country has been improved ALOT with "Returns" and "Jungle Freeze". You really should play those and see what it inspires you.
But it really is games that aren't really in need of improving the gameplay. You might want to mimic another game and really improve it.

hogwater

Nobody said that the gameplay in DKC needed improving... it was and still is a fantastic game in pretty much every aspect.

The question is what could improve the gameplay. A thing doesn't have to be bad before it can be improved.

That's not to say that it was perfect though - it's naive to assume that absolutely nothing could be done to improve the gameplay of any game.
of post 199193
for user_NeoShade:

Unable to find any instance of getting_the_joke for post index '199140' from 'user_hogwater'

############################################################################################
------------------------------------------------------------------------