What do you use for storage / backup drive of your projects?

B

Beechbone

Hey, just wanted to get some opinions on what do you use for long-term storage of your game projects, game assets, docs etc.
  • Where do you store your project files and compiled builds while working on a project and after finishing it?
  • Do you use external drives?
  • Do you use cloud. and if yes which one?
  • Do you encrypt your drives / data?
Personally I keep my projects on my main SSD and I make frequent backups (every day that I work in GMS) to the cloud. So far on personal OneDrive and iCloud Drive because why not? On the other hand... maybe there is a reason not to trust in the cloud. Any good / bad experiences?

M

muddman

Game projects - bitbucket and source tree - proper source control is a real revelation compared to manually backing things up
docs and misc files - google drive
+1 to bitbucket.
I use dropbox for files. Large binary files and git don't really go together well.

I think the cloud is great. We've used bitbucket/github/others in my day job with out major incidents. Occasionally bitbucket or AWS will go down, but those days are pretty rare. Certainly less frequently than an internal team dealing with all the development tools.

Regarding security, my top worry is that I won't finish a game, not that a cloud provider is going to steal them, or get hacked in a way that my data is stolen/lost. I do encrypt my laptop's hard drive though.

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
A combination of Git, Dropbox, and (multiple) local/external backups. You mentioned OneDrive but I find it super unresponsive, like many Microsoft services, so it'd be my last choice...

M

Matt Hawkins

I use WinRAR to archive my project then I upload the archive to Dropbox.

The-any-Key

Working with projects on external drive (in case the pc crash) > Projects use bitbucket (in case external drive crash) > every startup external drive clones to google drive(in case bitbucket crash o_O)

Next step is to have a computer to sync google drive to a external hd. But it may be overkill.

G

Work locally because OneDrive got my old-new files mixed up once, but backed up with git to bitbucket every work session, and a batch file to make compressed archives both locally and in Google Drive every couple of work sessions.

B

Beechbone

You mentioned OneDrive but I find it super unresponsive, like many Microsoft services, so it'd be my last choice...
OneDrive because it's already part of W10 so it's convinient, and I'm lazy like that.The web interface is rather janky but I'm pretty much using OD as another folder on a PC and it's functional for backing up data.

Gamebot

Seperate HD, USB, Drive, and yes even as text files...just in case for some reason I have to start over.

T

Thunder Lion

Hey, just wanted to get some opinions on what do you use for long-term storage of your game projects, game assets, docs etc.
  • Where do you store your project files and compiled builds while working on a project and after finishing it?
  • Do you use external drives?
  • Do you use cloud. and if yes which one?
  • Do you encrypt your drives / data?
Personally I keep my projects on my main SSD and I make frequent backups (every day that I work in GMS) to the cloud. So far on personal OneDrive and iCloud Drive because why not? On the other hand... maybe there is a reason not to trust in the cloud. Any good / bad experiences?
Everything that holds memory lol i learned my lesson during gm6 lol, i use my hdd, 2 external hdds, a flash drive and i will begin to use google drive thanks for the mention of cloud services! Also, i write so much and think so much, i practically can remake my ideas from those alone with a 0.00p1%-+ margin of error jk

Id add to getting a cheap flash that holds a few gb maybe 16 ish? Or whatever you need

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
Main project on hardrive in combo with GitKraken
Manually drop the project in dropbox
Manually drop the project in second hardrive
Once in a month backup on external hardrive

jobjorgos

I backup my project once every 2 weeks or so.
I just zip the project, and upload them to dropbox AND google drive so the chance is really minumum to possible lose my project. Im not a fan of automatic backups, I prefer doing things manual.
The only way I could still lose my project, is if out of nothing my SSD crashes, googledrive account gets hacked and my dropbox files accidently got deleted.
But the chance that that all happen at the same time is not really realistic :)

T

Thunder Lion

I backup my project once every 2 weeks or so.
I just zip the project, and upload them to dropbox AND google drive so the chance is really minumum to possible lose my project. Im not a fan of automatic backups, I prefer doing things manual.
The only way I could still lose my project, is if out of nothing my SSD crashes, googledrive account gets hacked and my dropbox files accidently got deleted.
But the chance that that all happen at the same time is not really realistic :)
I save every few hours

T

Thunder Lion

I have little ones running around sometimes they touch things they shouldnt, they even have deleted things off the computer when i went to tge restroom lol or started writing jumbled letters.

G

GM029

My GM projects are backed up real-time automatically to a Western Digital dual hard drive array. I also have my online business backed up there too (not video game related). Lately I've been thinking a cloud backup on top of it isn't a bad idea.

T

Thunder Lion

My GM projects are backed up real-time automatically to a Western Digital dual hard drive array. I also have my online business backed up there too (not video game related). Lately I've been thinking a cloud backup on top of it isn't a bad idea.
I feel now a days sense its very affordable we should use all forms of rewritable memory storage for unfinished things and eventually even use read only or single write mediums though still reusable medium also.

S

Smarty

I am surprised how source control (such as GIT) appears to get a mention only as a method for backing up a project, but the benefits are far greater than that. Once you get through the nitty-gritty of how source control works, you've got such a great way of being able just to branch off your project, try and implement a certain feature, and be able to commit the incremental changes whenever you're happy with them - and roll back as many commits as you need if you screw up completely, or alternatively merge your branch with the base. Not to mention the perks of being able to concurrently work on a game and reviewing (and approving) the changes any developer wants to commit to a branch or to the base, or simply being able to switch branches just to see what another developer has done so far.

W

Wraithious

I use a usb drive(s) and an external drive and whenever I complete a game the .gmz goes into both. (or if it's a really big project I'll update my usb/external drive more frequently)