What do you think TECHNOLOGY in the year 2030 will be like?

K12gamer

I think 50% of cars on the road will be fully electric.

I think a lot of movie theaters will have closed because of high ticket costs...and because most
people will prefer to watch movies at home on massive 8K TVs.

Note: Will bump this thread in 2030...to see how close our predictions were...:D

Last edited:

pixeltroid

I think by 2030 people will have implantable chips as id cards. Those chips would be linked to their bank accounts and possibly even cell phones. I think its only a matter of time before they literally start shoving technology into our bodies.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they also develop technology that would beam advertisements directly into our minds. "Your dream will start after this ad". o_O

K12gamer

Sadly...I think some technologies will stay basically the same...Example: Air Conditioners...

They were big bulky and loud in 1957...and they're still big bulky and loud today...:oops:

L

Lonewolff

Sadly...I think some technologies will stay basically the same...Example: Air Conditioners...

They were big bulky and loud in 1957...and they're still big bulky and loud today...:oops:

Only in America have I ever seen air conditioners hang out of windows.

Be cheaper to just open the window wouldn't it? o_O

K12gamer

Only in America have I ever seen air conditioners hang out of windows.

Be cheaper to just open the window wouldn't it? o_O
On 90 degree and above days...opening your windows doesn't help much...especially on upper floors.
Here are 4 steps to keeping cool...
Step 1 Open your window...Step 2 A window Fan...Step 3 an Air conditioner..Step 4 Move to Alaska.

Here's a good related video I found...

L

Lonewolff

We had a 115 degree day a here few years back. It was reasonably warm I must admit.

The 'in window' units are bewildering though. Everything is ducted over here. Either that or wall mount. Extremely efficient and very quiet.

Can't say I have ever seen the 'in window' units in the wild.

Maybe the US might have these by 2030 :p

K12gamer

I think by 2030 people will have implantable chips as id cards. Those chips would be linked to their bank accounts and possibly even cell phones. I think its only a matter of time before they literally start shoving technology into our bodies.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they also develop technology that would beam advertisements directly into our minds. "Your dream will start after this ad". o_O
Sounds like Neuralink...which Elon Musk is working on right now. He wants to merge people's minds with A.I.
I can see such tech actually putting peoples minds into games (like in the movie Ready Player One)
I'm not ready for a future like that...I honestly prefer playing simple Retro games over all that VR new stuff.

Mert

We had a 115 degree day a here few years back. It was reasonably warm I must admit.

The 'in window' units are bewildering though. Everything is ducted over here. Either that or wall mount. Extremely efficient and very quiet.

Can't say I have ever seen the 'in window' units in the wild.

Maybe the US might have these by 2030 :p
We had a 115 degree day a here few years back

Celcius intensifies :D

E

ethian

I think in 2030 just a few of those complex inventions shown on sci-fi movies will be finished and sold to the public...

Just because of the complexity of those inventions, the others will be finished and sold in more years.

Mercerenies

Smart home devices will continue to grow in popularity. The people who don't have them will become socially ostracized, as any visitors to their house will find it strange and old fashioned. We will all finish the process of giving up all of our privacy and security to the hands of two or three large tech companies. The Internet will become more centralized as the same few tech companies amass more power. For those of us with any real technological knowledge, functioning while avoiding this rapid centralization will become increasingly difficult, as we continue to devise new and increasingly complicated ways of getting around all of the tracking (see: Linux, LineageOS, NoScript/uMatrix, etc.).

L

Lonewolff

Celcius intensifies :D
Most yankees don't understand that 46 degrees Celsius as actually reasonably warm.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
I feel as if we are entering a second dark ages. Logic and science are so displaced that it might be decades or even centuries before another intellectual revolution. When it happens, though, the advancements will be enormous. The Internet might have to be rebuilt at that time. Of course, we'll all be dead then.

Perhaps it's a tad far fetched, but that's my prediction.

Corporations will strengthen their positions even further than they already have thanks to advances in AI. Advertising and propaganda wars will both be won by the companies with the most processing power available to them to run AI farms.

The top corporations will install unbeatable puppet candidates to most world governments; even if better, more honest candidates run against them, they’ll be crushed by massive amounts of misinformation and propaganda churned out by AI in vast server farms in Google and Amazon’s basements. With constant faked information, audio, and video flooding all social media and news websites, fact checking will become completely impossible even for the most intelligent of us. With the rise of technology, quality of life for the average person will stay about the same, or even improve. Corporations will quietly run most of the world while placating the masses with abundant entertainment and toys created by AI, and most people won’t even care.

We’re heading for cyberpunk hell. It’s basically the same as now, but even more so. And video games have really good graphics.

If I don’t check in here ten years from now, it’s because I was “disappeared” by Toyota’s cybernetic ninja assasins.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think civilisation, as we define it now, will be around much longer than two or three decades from now. I'll be very happy to be proven wrong, of course, but I have a lot of doubts that humanity will be able to collectively get it's 💩💩💩💩 together before climate change becomes irreversibly catastrophic (i.e. in the next few years). I think there'll be global conflicts over fresh water and arable land sometime in the next two to four decades. Mass immigration will increase dramatically as heavily populated low lying areas gradually become flooded and farmland worldwide dies, people will lose their minds over this and we'll see a huge number of authoritarian governments (dictatorships) spring up around the world (we're already seeing this begin right now). If we make it through the next two decades without a world war, my cold dead heart will warm a little at the fact that I underestimated humanities capacity for peace.

Once a few massive catastrophes hit multiple countries at once, we'll lose regular access to the internet, potentially even power (power grid protection is not great right now). Peaceful technological progress will grind to a halt as governments turn their focus towards military applications. This is because at some point the hyper rich will realise that, yes indeedy, climate change is going to effect them as well, even those in the oil and coal businesses (Australia is in the process of approving the largest coal mine ever built here as we speak) and they start to lobby for everyone's tax dollars to be used to protect them.

In a hundred years from now, whatever shreds of society are left will look back on us all being so casual about climate change as a world full of people worse than Hitler.

Man, I really hope this 💩💩💩💩 doesn't happen...

K12gamer

@RefresherTowel
I think technology will help solve a lot of the world's problems...I can see millions of people migrating to massive solar cities...built in our deserts...
I can see deforested areas being allowed to be reclaimed by the wilderness.

Nux

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The future could be really cool, but there's so many technical advancements which could be made which just collect dust because nobody wants to fund them.

Unfortunately, money and war sometimes decides what gets developed first: without money, most companies will happily just sit down in a place they feel comfortable; without war, things like nuclear power or robotics probably wouldn't have progressed as far as they have.

Of course we are making progress in other stuff, like space travel and nuclear fusion, but we could have been there already if there were more time put into it.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
This thread got dark quicker than I expected it to. Perhaps that should be a testament to how many problems humanity faces, and how obvious it is.
Or maybe everyone here is a programmer, and these changes are just obvious to the logically inclined. That could be it too.

MissingNo.

This thread got dark quicker than I expected it to.
Well it's hard to mention the future of technology without acknowledging the downsides of it. Humans have proven that they cannot handle the technology they made because they:
abuse it/ don't take care of it/ don't want to lessen the impact said tech has on our world.

It's amazing how much damage we have managed to make since the industrial revolution. Even the first industrial revolution wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme of time but yet we managed
to do so much damage in that amount of time. It will only get worse.

I think technology will help solve a lot of the world's problems...I can see millions of people migrating to massive solar cities...built in our deserts...
I can see deforested areas being allowed to be reclaimed by the wilderness.
Our modern tech has the ability to help tremendously but the problem is that even by 2030 it won't be used en mass. Most governments will sooner dish out gas masks
then make any significant investments into change.

Gamebot

Note: Will bump this thread in 2030...to see how close our predictions were...:D
Sadly there will be no reason for this forum as we know it, for making games, as games will be too easy and oversaturated. We can just think of an idea and load it into our computer. The GMS forum will (for me going back in time) become a chat room. However, on a positive note Resident Evil 11 will be out! Perhaps a Myst revival.

On a more serious note, I think we've come close to as far as we can go. Just smaller and faster. Unless your talking Quantum Physics where you could potentially hold all of your arrays into one slot of memory. (Actual arrays not strings and parse). The other theory that has been around for YEARS is the superconductor. Instead of a bunch of electrical grids all over the planet to boost signals and cause more cancer, use one type of wire that could stretch for miles. Then again we all could just get windmills and solar panels.

K12gamer

Sadly there will be no reason for this forum as we know it, for making games, as games will be too easy and oversaturated. We can just think of an idea and load it into our computer. The GMS forum will (for me going back in time) become a chat room. However, on a positive note Resident Evil 11 will be out! Perhaps a Myst revival.

On a more serious note, I think we've come close to as far as we can go. Just smaller and faster. Unless your talking Quantum Physics where you could potentially hold all of your arrays into one slot of memory. (Actual arrays not strings and parse). The other theory that has been around for YEARS is the superconductor. Instead of a bunch of electrical grids all over the planet to boost signals and cause more cancer, use one type of wire that could stretch for miles. Then again we all could just get windmills and solar panels.
Solar and Wind are good...but I think the world needs some really good human powered energy machines. (See Pic below).They need to improve the generator part to provide less friction + more energy. If people had to make energy like this...I bet they wouldn't be wasting energy by leaving TVs and lights on while they're sleeping.

A

Andy

they’ll be crushed by massive amounts of misinformation and propaganda
...The future is NOW! :eek:

Mass immigration will increase dramatically as heavily populated low lying areas gradually become flooded and farmland worldwide dies, people will lose their minds over this and we'll see a huge number of authoritarian governments
Sadly, I agree. People can’t even handle immigration from countries they destabilized in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gamebot

...The future is NOW! :eek:
Stop watching the news and quit reading the newspaper. I stopped many years ago and it's been proven over again and again by the few that don't are least depressed and live a happier life.

Hopefully there will be a few advances in medicine, especially in fighting cancer.

I seriously doubt there will be strong advances in the field of AI. We might make strides in the field of artificial stupidity, however.

Computers will be a little faster, and smaller. Rockets will be a little more powerful, and somewhat more reusable. We'll have a few new space telescopes. Electric vehicles will be a lot more common.

And the rest will be about the same.

K12gamer

Ten years isn’t too far away, so of course my predictions are heavily based on today, unfortunately. ):

Like I said, basically the same as now, just worse. :x
I do see a lot of things staying the same...Honestly can't see them pushing HD TV tech much further than they already have (8k, Super thin, 100 inch)...Do we really need more?
Toaster tech hasn't changed much in the past 50 years (You'd think our toasters would talk (like Alexa)...and tell us when something is burning)

I think crime, poverty and homelessness might be even higher than it is today)...I think our government will use tech like mini drones (with cameras and infra red) to police high crime areas..
I don't think Amazon will be using drones to drop off packages. They'd have to be too large...fly down too low...and would probably be used by criminals for target practice.

S

Smarty

On less desperate days, I hope a decade from now we're working our asses off applying technology that does sustainable agriculture, 100% renewable energy, and massive reforestation. In fact, let that start today pretty please.