Opinion What do you think of NINTENDO's new Mini Console?

K12gamer

It's a remake of the old NES.
It comes with 30 classic games, one controller and will only cost $59.
Only $10 for additional controllers.

G

GhostlyFeline

It's kind of neat, but I probably wouldn't have any need for one. If I want to play NES games, I'll either download them on Wii U, or use an emulator.

Carnivius

Overpriced and only out of the supposed 30 'classics' there's only about 6 that I like while there's a whole load of quality NES games that aren't on it. have emulators all set up for this anyways whether on my laptop connected to my big TV at home or playing on the go with my PSP that's got a ton of emulators on it too. Sorry, Nintendo. Loved you during the 8 and 16 bit era but you ain't getting me back with this underwhelming attempt at a nostalgic cashgrab.

G

Galladhan

I will buy 2 of them!

Edit: Ok, i was joking. But i love the idea: it looks very pretty, it has 30 good games in it and a HDMI port.

Last edited:
ok hdmi post sounds interesting but honestly how much more expensive would an origional console be???

nintendo needs to stop doing this, they have almost rehashed their entire history in the last few years.

Reactions: Roa

K12gamer

This similar one, released a while ago by Sega, has 80 games, 2 controllers and accepts the old Genesis cartridges.
Plus the MegaDrve (Genesis) is far more powerful than the NES.
Cost...Only $40

If all that failed...Nintendo might also...especially if you can't play the old cartridges...and are stuck with the 30 built in games.
It would be nice if Nintendo's console accepted Flash drives...and you could download more games from an app store ($1) each.

G

Galladhan

the only console that ever did well for them.
Serious, man? What about Super Famicom/SNES? And Game Boy? And Wii? And DS? *puzzled

how much more expensive would an origional console be???
If you live in the US, probably not very much. If you are in Euroland, like me, that would be way more expensive than you probably think. I would say around 60-70 euro only for the console (in good shape) and the cables. Then you need to buy the games. For those 30 games, expect to spend some hundreds of euro.
Ah, and if you only have an HD TV, prepare yourself to a terrible image quality (through composite... eww).

but composite is how its suppose to look, most tvs nowadays you can readjust the screen ratio (i think)

but yeah you do raise a good point, im in thailand so i can relate but those things arnt being sold with europe or se asia in mind, i cant even find any information aobut them being sold in japan and to those in the us i dont fully understand what the selling point is suppose to be for this console other than a pure nostalgia trip.

honestly this whole thing reminds me of the bootleg gameboy games, 30 in 1 exc exc, some of those were actually rather amazing, i have a wii cd somewhere which i played to excess that had all the games from 7 or 8 different consoles on it, including the nes, and that might be why i dont understand it because they are trying to charge all this money for something in margin which i can accomplish in its entirity with a single cd.

G

Galladhan

I wouldn't call DS a console. And the Wii as much as I liked my one, did pretty badly. It had like a two year life. You cant even buy games for it anymore.

Granted SNES did well. :)
Wii sold around 100 millions of units. Is it "pretty badly" for you? :p

Why you wouldn't call Nintendo DS a console? ?_?

i would call the ds a console sole just like i would call gameboy, they have had a larger influence on the gaming industry, exspecially in the current mobile market, then the tv consoles (imo) and when/ if holo tech becomes the norm although the graphics may be much better its still going to draw from the portable machines to figure out the functionality.

also wii, best selling video for nintendo, loaded with shovelware though.

G

Galladhan

but composite is how its suppose to look
Well, composite is how it was supposed to look on a CRT TV. If you put composite on a HD TV, it's a total mess, believe me :)

but yeah you do raise a good point, im in thailand so i can relate but those things arnt being sold with europe or se asia in mind, i cant even find any information aobut them being sold in japan and to those in the us i dont fully understand what the selling point is suppose to be for this console other than a pure nostalgia trip.

honestly this whole thing reminds me of the bootleg gameboy games, 30 in 1 exc exc, some of those were actually rather amazing, i have a wii cd somewhere which i played to excess that had all the games from 7 or 8 different consoles on it, including the nes, and that might be why i dont understand it because they are trying to charge all this money for something in margin which i can accomplish in its entirity with a single cd.
I can understand your point of view, but it's emulation VS real hardware. I love emulation, but i love to play on my old consoles too. They both have pros and cons.
This is not actually like playing on a true NES, but should be pretty close (i guess the hardware is more or less the same). With the plus of the HDMI output. And you don't have to go crazy with the 72 pin connector too.

K12gamer

Cooler systems that play NES, Genesis and SNES games already exist...(but I hear they're poorly built)
I think Nintendo should have teamed up with Sega and made one of these multi-systems...
(but also added N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, Wii and Wii U compatibility)
Note: It could have come with 100 games built in...and played all the other games via ($1) App downloads.

K12gamer

It's a 'handheld'.

Did you ever hear of the dual screen Donkey Kong referred to as a gaming console?
Speaking of Handhelds...I'd really like a Nintendo/Sega tablet that played all the old NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast, Wii etc...games

It could have thumb sticks like this...and also connect via HDMI cable to a TV.

Last edited:
G

Galladhan

It's a 'handheld'.

Did you ever hear of the dual screen Donkey Kong referred to as a gaming console?
Can't you say "handheld console"? The dual screen Donkey Kong is a Game & Watch. Not exactly the same thing. Wait, maybe you were sarcastic.

Roa

Nintendo is completely deluded anymore. They just keep repacking things over and over and over to no end, yet they STILL have not launched several 1st party main games for the WII U. They only have 2 modes.
  1. Repackage everything or sell it by nostalgia
  2. Reinvent everything to be as un-intuitive as possible to the end user in hopes that "innovation" will be enough to sell the product, because the people that invented shoulder buttons can't figure out that ergonomically placed buttons and simplicity are the best control.
Nintendo is so hopelessly lost anymore, and frankly they are pissing me off. Now they have confirmed patents for the new system to run modified android and pascal tegra chips, its a console that will be weaker then the WII U and offer none of the benefits. It's so totally 💩💩💩💩ed for nintendon't.

Still waiting for me metroid side-scroller, 13 years later.

Coded Games

My Dad wanted one so it will probably be my Christmas present to him. I think it would be nice if it included more games or was cheaper but I don't think it's that bad. It's definitely cheaper than buying an NES/Clone console and the games individually.

T

tserek

I would buy one, if it could be modified so i could manage the games. This bundle just have too less games compared to it's price / missing many games i would like also to play on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Matthew

Can't say I've ever heard someone say "Let's crank up the console" either, if that's how you're trying to make a point.

M

Matthew

Amazing, I didn't know Nocturne had the capacity to respond to me without at least a thread in collateral damage.

NAL

ʕ ᓀ ᴥ ᓂ ʔ
GMC Elder
I might have been interested in owning one, but Marble Madness isn't on it. And without a cartridge port on it, I can't stick Marble Madness into it.

That's legitimately my opinion on it. I'm not huge on the NES (was before my time, my first console was SNES), but pretty much every other game I'm fussed about for it has been rereleased on GameBoy Advance or Virtual Console :p

Roa

Yeah, its completely stupid. I would rather they just re-manufacture the NES (which probably has a build value of 8 dollars now days) so I can play my old games, and just resell catridges with complete collections on them. It's such a worthless product. Just another throw away plug and play.

G

Galladhan

I would rather they just re-manufacture the NES (which probably has a build value of 8 dollars now days) so I can play my old games, and just resell catridges with complete collections on them.
I would have preferred it too, but if they added the cartridge slot they couldn't have made it so tiny (i suppose). I think it looks pretty, but maybe it's just my collector's insanity speaking here...

K12gamer

Yeah, its completely stupid. I would rather they just re-manufacture the NES (which probably has a build value of 8 dollars now days) so I can play my old games, and just resell catridges with complete collections on them. It's such a worthless product. Just another throw away plug and play.
I bet if it sells well...Nintendo will release a version with a cartridge slot......then they'll made a 3rd version
that plays NES and SNES games...and so on....and so on...

Same strategy they used when they released all those Gameboys..

Note...I'll wait for the 3rd generation version...

M

Matthew

keep in mind that there's already multiple iterations of the NES, so this would be the fourth version, at the very least.

Roa

I bet if it sells well...Nintendo will release a version with a cartridge slot......then they'll made a 3rd version
that plays NES and SNES games...and so on....and so on...

Same strategy they used when they released all those Gameboys..

Note...I'll wait for the 3rd generation version...

Well they are not making different version one after another of a current device. It would be bringing back a device you can no longer get, that people still have games for. Systems dont last forever. People would like to enjoy their old games on orginal hardware sometimes.

The gameboy, color, advanced were all very different. The only repeats on that list are both of the micros. The advanced SP at least had the benefit of wireless linking as a cable replacement (cause the ports were bad) and backlighting.

keep in mind that there's already multiple iterations of the NES, so this would be the fourth version, at the very least.

Those dont even count cause none of those were on the market at the same time at the same palace. The first and second are different regions and the 3rd was only manufactured to distinguish from the originals. It was a continuation of the product line and didn't cost anymore. It just wasn't region restricted.

M

Matthew

So a version of a console only counts if they're released at the exact same time in the same area? That's a very arbitrary distinction.

R

R_Bear

I won't buy one as I have a real NES with a bunch of games, but I think its a nice idea for those who do not have one and seems to come with a nice collection of games.

M

Matthew

I think my family gave our NES away to some poor kids. It's a shame, that was the last time my dad played a videogame.