Opinion What do you think about my music 2019?

Byter

Hello GM Community,

I have been making music for around two years now and I am aiming to make (preferably good) videogame music. Those three pieces are (in my estimation) the best ones I've made recently. I would be happy about some Feedback and critique. If they'd fit in a videogame, in which genre/situation could you imagine them and in general, what are flaws I should work on?

The games I'd want to make music for mainly are genres like 2D/3D platformers (DK64, (N)SMB, Yooka-Laylee) and RPGs(Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi Series) so far.

https://soundcloud.com/user-569467534/piece1 (made with lmms)

https://soundcloud.com/user-569467534/piece2 (made with musescore3)

https://soundcloud.com/user-569467534/piece3 (made with musescore3)

Warning: piece2 and 3 got unfortunatly quite loud.

Thanks in Advance for a lot of feedback:D

W

Wayfarer

I can hear your influences through the music :)
  • Piece1 reminds me of a place you might return back to multiple times over: some kind of special room or similar
  • Piece2 feels like it could be an intro / menu or some kind of chase sequence
  • Piece3 makes me think of a beachside town in an RPG
They all sounds great to me! If I was going to critique anything I'd say maybe the drums in Piece1 are a bit too straight (though they don't exactly sound bad either... they still work). The only other thing I'd say is it would be nice if all tracks were the same-ish volume, though you mentioned that already.

Edit:
After thinking about it more, I think Piece2 feels like a boss battle. Not sure why I was thinking "chase sequence". And I still could imagine it being used as an intro / menu also.

Last edited:

Byter

Well, which influences can you hear?:D

I was somewhat confused when you sad chase sequence (because I have thought of it as an boss battle).

Quote: "Not sure why I was thinking "chase sequence"." (Forgot to quote while writing the comment)

Probably because these regularly eightth notes at the beginning feel like running.

;)You have also answered me last time (2018 I think) so what do you think? Do you think I developed well?

Last edited:
W

Wayfarer

I was somewhat confused when you sad chase sequence (because I have thought of it as an boss battle).
Well my edit does say "boss battle" and I also mentioned that I wasn't sure why I first said "chase sequence" :p
You're probably right about the eighth notes thing.

Well, which influences can you hear?:D
Piece2:
The brass line, first used at 25 seconds, sounds very reminiscent of the Donkey Kong Country series.
Maybe there is some Danny Elfman influence on the piece as well? Makes me think of Beetlejuice though it could just be the use of the upbeat. I really like the part at 1:37.

On a more random note, it also reminds me of this (from 12 seconds onwards):

I'm pretty sure the reason I said it makes me think of a menu / intro is because it reminded me of the intro from that game:

It's most likely the use the upbeat that's making me think of all those tracks.

Piece3:
I can hear Mario & Luigi Series, Zelda and other things that I can't quite get from my subconcious. I could imagine it in an RPG and also in a 3D platformer for a village area.

Piece1:
Hmm, it definitely makes me think of a game or series but I can't work it what it is!
For some reason it's making me think a bit of Iconoclasts or even Owlboy, though they're obviously modern games so maybe it's the influences of them. I might be able to work it out later. There's something about the atmosphere that I like.

;)You have also answered me last time (2018 I think) so what do you think? Do you think I developed well?
You definitely developed well!! The music sounds strong to me and would fit right into a lot of games, especially of the genres you mentioned. I like your use of interweaving melodies.

Byter

I see (or should I say hear ;)) why you mentioned 3d ultra pinball creep night. It has a lot of similar features like a fast tempo and melody and that alternating bass with chords in between.
I have never heard of Danny Elfman nor 3d ultra pinball creep night so that's probably more an coincedence, Iconoclasts or Owlboy but which DKC theme does Piece2 remember you?

I like your use of interweaving melodies.
Never noticed that I do that so often. More of a subconcious Thing I guess.

I made Piece1 in the attempt to rewrite the whole soundtrack for the game "Evoland" for practice and thought of it as the theme playing while you get the small background story (hence it is so short). (It is just White text on black Background slowly moving upwards).

Edit: thanks for the Ultra pinball track it sounds amazing. Going to add that to playlist