• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design What do you think about my art style? [SOLVED]

K

Kleber Ferreira

So it's been a month already that I've been working in this game. Most of this time was into programming the mechanics of the game. Now I'm ready to start making the rooms and all, backgrounds, character sprites... And I decided to come here, since this forum helped me a lot with programming, ask you guys what do you think about my art style. Take a look here, this is where the game starts, the room is finished:Sem título-1.jpg
The upper black bar will display dialogue, the lower black bar display items, like an inventory.

Please judge all things in the screenshot.
-My characters style
spr_theodor_idler.png spr_lieutenant_right.png
-The objects around the scene (cars, house...)
-That orange background, meant to be a dusk skybox...

The game is story-driven, with walking around, clicking everywhere to collect clues, lots of dialoagues.
I know my style is not a piece of art, sometimes I look at it and want to start all over again. Is it at least decent for a Beta Demo?
Would you play such game? Would you ever pay for such game?
If you have tips or links that could help me improve my drawing skills I would be very grateful too.

D

DyingSilence

It's consistent and fresh, you can keep it, but use it wisely, because consistency is key here.

M

McWolke

sorry if i sound rude, but to me it looks terrible. it just looks like a picture made in paint by a child.
if you want to keep the plain style but get rid of the pixels and the blocky and "paint" look, maybe try some vector art? i think this would suit your game much more

M

marsiic

If house has reflections and feel of depth (gradient coloring) why doesn't cars and chars have some shadows or depth - or other way around?
I really like how chars do look (really good), but cant say same about cars - they seem to be out of proportion - a bit too long front and as stated before - no reflections or feel of depth.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You're a good 30-something years too late for a graphics style like this to be even remotely acceptable in a paid-for game.

Get someone else to draw for you.

G

gamedev4life

your characters need a lot of work. the content though (the police at a house and all that) seems engaging. it has my interest. its like 'cops' but a game lol

if u actually want to make money though, focus on programming and get really good and work with an artists who is really good as well. dont think of this game as your commercial game, this of this game as your portfolio builder. good luck.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The biggest problem here is consistency... different pixel sizes between characters and background elements, different levels of shading between different sprites, inconsistent perspective... this screenshot would look a lot more pleasing if you could make the graphics consistent.

Ninety

Since you asked if I'd pay for this, and since that suggests you're developing this game with a commercial release in mind, I think you need some tough love here. The art's not that great. I'm assuming you're not an experienced artist; either way, you shouldn't expect great results overnight. As some others have pointed out, the largest issue is stylistic and other visual inconsistencies. Your use of colour is basic, perfectly passable for an early attempt at art but not what I'd expect from a game that costs actual money. The perspective, too, is all over the place.

If you said this was a freeware release, I'd say "not bad!" and move on. However, if you want to actually sell copies, you deserve honest feedback. Good luck with your game!

I would say it needs a better color pallet with consistency, even if the pixels are not consistent in size you could still pull it off. Art can always be improved and polished, it took us atleast a year to find the style we wanted for our game. I still don't think i'm good, but getting there.

Attachments

J

JammyUX

• Police car windows look out of place.
  • Don't use the tire marks in that perspective, looks wrong.
  • Adding some shadows could really work.
Over all the style - not my thing, but I don't mind it.

K

Kleber Ferreira

Yeah, thank all you guys. I'm looking at vector art now. If I can't make good stuff with it I'll look for someone else to draw for me.
I'll keep in mind every reply in this thread. Love this forum <3

N

NizarPlayz

Its very good, though you need to add some reflections into the windows of the cars and add the shadows