What did you learn today.

Amon

Today I learned that learning is easy, but, understanding what you have learned is what takes time. You have to give that computer in your head time to imaginate, let it all mingle with the subconscious; when it is done, that beautiful Eureka moment when the understanding blasts from the depths of your mind, is just too good a feeling to not experience.

Today I relearned what I had probably learned 3 years ago. On older systems (10 years old), using surface functions with surfaces that are too large for the hardware will crash the game with no error report. By functions I mean things like surface_copy(), buffer_get_surface() and surface_save(). You can make a surface that's too large with no problem and draw on it with no problem. Reducing the size of the surface before the functions are called results in NO crash.

D

devonhg

Today I learned the importance of reflection, and the value of deciding what it is you wish to be and sticking too it.

Got it from this book, wonderful read so far.

More info here

I learned today that trying to set an audio position later than the audio sound results in a close. Not a crash, a close. Crashes give error messages. Closes, exit / close the .exe.

Roa

That people are impossibly dense and will do anything to refrain from looking past their current held beliefs.

Today, I ported a game to Android. I've ported other games to Android, but today I learned... clicking twice is the same as a right mouse click. When you click, it's as good as setting a mouse to that position, which is understandable. Where the curve ball comes in is using window_mouse_set() does not work on Android. The invisible fake mouse will remain in the same position. Oh and as it was discussed in another thread, game_end() still does not work on Android, but that's because you swipe the edge of the device's screen to call up the "I want out."

E

ethian

Today, i learned "Commercial use" means "You win money with it", Undertale is commercial...
"Non-commercial use" means "No money", those are things made by Undertale fans...
It would be fun to make a game commercial like Undertale but i'm still young... and i feel i lack creativity....

N

NeonBits

Today, I've learned that a few seconds ago I was an idiot; so, right now, I am not so bad; which is now a few seconds ago; which makes me look now as a liar; but the upcoming seconds make me feel I'm not so bad after all; so today I think I've learned that I am... confusing? Yes... I think... that's right...

E

ethian

Today i learned this :
"I can make my stuff be imitations of what i like, but they mustn't be too similar to what they're imitating, especially if the thing that is the imitation is a whole videogame, so, because of this, is better to make something an imitation, when that something is a small part of the videogame (Like an event, a character, etc...), but never a big part of it, like the whole videogame"

E

ethian

Today i learned this:
"I can use everything for free when making designs, music, etc... but i need to make not-so-similar-to-anything-i-know enough to make it original"

E

ethian

Today i learned that Public Domain is when people own a thing, not the one who originally made that same thing, and it occurs 50 years after the death of the original creator of the thing.

Also, i learned Sherlock Holmes is a boxer and he can also fight with sword...

MHP Labs

today I learned that if in a place you dont find people interested in your project, you have to try somewhere else (that's why I'm here xDDD)

L

Luto

today I learned how to made movement in Godot Engine with the GDscript... please game maker don't block me for that lol :D

M

Misty

Today I learned that if I want to remember my dreams, I have to not think about politics. Because politics makes me feel oppressed, and that feeling of oppression makes me forget about my dreams, and if I can't remember my dreams then how can I have a good morning.

S

snowstorm

I've learned that drinking beer in the evening is not a very good idea if you're going to wake up early.
And talking about gaming/programming, I'll learn some stuff about C# delegates and events tonight.

G

GVmG

I learned the entirety of Kingdom Hearts, by watching a 7 hours stream about the plot. I had already a general idea after watching a bunch of summary videos in the past month, and the stream really helped clarifying details and making everything stick together and make sense (or well, "stick together and make sense" as much as Kingdom Hearts can lol). Link if anyone's interested.

W

Walky

Today I learned that the culprit for a constant 70% framerate drop in my game was the fluids code.

L

Lonewolff

I learned that all diodes can produce power from solar energy.

I tested it out and it is true. Point an LED at the sun and it will generate power. It's not efficient but it does actually work.

Same goes the other way around. Pump power into a solar panel and it will produce infra-red light.

The things you find out, hey? :cool: