What did you learn today.

M

MicroFireStudios

Today, I found an app that is used for pixel art and learned that I am much more proficient with a stylus and a tablet then i am with a keyboard and mouse.

Before:

After:

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Hartzell compact propellers require 1.5ounches of grease, here I find one where the entire hub is full and prevented actuation of the propeller, the spring was rendered useless and manual actuation was just as much of a problem. Which lead to being able to provide the customer with a bit of insight as to why their prop was performing sluggishly and also to educate them on proper application. :3

It's friday

There's a fellow work employee that's in trouble O:

It's been six months since my last pixelation sprite post, six months, time flies.

My friend looks really good in a white dress. xD

There's a lan tonight o:

I feel as though this is a post regarding enlightenment, cause I've become enlightened on a few things.. which I may have already known o_O

uhhhh

lastly, there's twice as much dishes to wash if you simulate your house in a 3D game project. -nods- @Alice

There's a cool thread here :3

I'm indecisive.

My pen is starting to run out of ink.

Im starting to run out of new things I learnt today.

come tomorrow!

G

GM029

I learned how to put a MM:SS:hundredth of a second countdown timer using an alarm on one of my bonus levels this morning! It also tosses you out to the main level when it's through.

Love Game Maker.

I've also learned many cool visual effects, how to make the sun go down and fade out a sky background into stars. I love touches like that in games which is my aim. To have cool little touches on every level with gameplay, sound effects and visuals.

M

Misu

Today I learned that when you report an absolutely idiotic topic posted in the Community forum, the mods just move it to Off Topic.
By any chance... was that topic this one?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I learned a nice little 8-bar blues for fingerstyle guitar. Just the common I-IV-V progression in C. But this particular blues has a clever walking bass line using minor-thirds (the B-flat and D# for the G and C chords, respectively). Fun to play.

S

SyntheticStorm9

I learned that I have a very short "remembering what I have just learned span",
and that popcorn does not solve world hunger.

E

Ethanicus

I learned that despite what I think, things can actually be fine without me worrying over them.

OR AM I JUST BEING NEGLECTFUL AND EVERYTHING'S GOING AWFUL BRB

C

Clairvoyant

I was at a cybersecurity seminar, here, you guys can have my notes.

Cybersecurity presentation.
-----------------------------------------
•CHECK>Deep web>Satan Ransomware.
•Newest attacks include: Hacking car firmware and pacemakers.
•CHECK>Norse corp and Kaspersky live attack maps.
•First virus ever is a DOS virus that hides in .exes and eats away at data.
•The penalty for releasing a computer virus in a www is 3yrs in jail.
•The pentaly for sharing other people's passwords and that leading to sensitive data being leaked is 1yr in jail.
•There are OS made especially for monitoring: Kali, Backtrack, etc.
•Rober Rsnake Hansen releases "SlowLoris" virus that is the first one to kill Apache servers.
•RUDY (R-U-Dead-Yet?) attack, similar to SlowLoris.
•CHECK>slowhttptest command in Kali.
•Self respecting companies are required to keep the 5 9s standard. Their servers must work 99.999% of the time. That means they can malfunction for only 5 minutes a year.
•Prevention is better than protection.
•Diffie-Hellman key exchange is a popular cryptographic algorithm. CHECK https://weakdh.org
•Spoofing - In the context of network security, a spoofing attack is a situation in which one person or program successfully masquerades as another by falsifying data, thereby gaining an illegitimate advantage.
•Man in the middle (MitM) attacks are, unfortunately, both nothing new and well exploited out there in the wild. Could man in the cloud attacks emerge as the next attack surface ripe for exploiting?
•The LAN Turtle is a covert Systems Administration and Penetration Testing tool providing stealth , remote access, network intelligence gathering, and man-in-the-middle monitoring capabilities.
•MDK3 attack - This attack uses MDK3, a set of tools by ASPj to overload the target AP with useless data, thus causing it to freeze and reset.
•An evil twin is a fraudulent Wi-Fi access point that appears to be legitimate, set up to eavesdrop on wireless communications. The evil twin is the wireless LAN equivalent of phising.
•Meterpreter is an advanced, dynamically extensible payload that uses in-memory DLL injection stagers and is extended over the network at runtime.
•Kon-Boot - Windows, OSX password recovery.
•Yubikey - Flash drive with fingerprint scanner that you can set as a password for your pc.
•Tor - Anonymous browsing through skipping around proxies around the world.
•IoT - Internet of Things is gaining popularity rapidly without any secure mechanisms of defense when it comes to firmware.

Gamebot

I learned I know more then I thought. With that said I a found out I am fairly good at teaching random "skills" with graphs.

The last one was mod, div and frac with a railfence.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Learned how to make an Italian-Chinese fusion dish. Won Ton wrappers with a spinach and mozzarella filling. Steamed a few, and fried a few. All were delicious.

C

Chris S.

Studied a bit on the subject of quantum mechanics. Wrote out a mind-blowing formula. Then I worked on my secret videogame project... all the same thing, right?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Studied a bit on the subject of quantum mechanics. Wrote out a mind-blowing formula. Then I worked on my secret videogame project... all the same thing, right?
They're only the same if you observe them. Otherwise, they could be anything. ;)

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I learned that Ponzi schemes are a thing.
Charles Ponzi understood the human nature of greed. His mistake was staying in too long. If you're interested, read about Bernie Madoff's scheme. True genius. A Ponzi scheme wrapped in an actual brokerage business. Even large banks and major charity funds got snared.

In a sense, the stock market itself is a Ponzi scheme. So are most country's social benefits programs. They all rely on the constant in-flow of new money, to pay current benefits.

Not saying that's necessarily a bad system... just interesting to reflect on.

G

Greys0n

I learn today that when my body tells me it needs to rest, I need to get some rest.

K

Kenjiro

I learned (or worked out, rather) how to implement a directional 3D light in a shader and have it illuminate rotating objects correctly.

Quite some thinking involved in that challenge.

Where I got to today. Not too bad for a GM 3D noob.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Greys0n

I learn a few new things about Montenegro.

K

Kenjiro

Today I am trying to learn self control and actually code something for longer that five minutes at a time.

The struggle is real...

[edit]
Also learned that Paint Shop Pro 5 (made in 1998) is heaps better for pixel art than Photoshop CS.

G

Greys0n

I learn a few things about Italy. Soon I am going to move 'cause of my work there for the whole summer. My destination is San Marino.

T

Timze

Today i learned that i don't have to do a bunch of complicated GML code for views and camera's in GMS2.
Has it's own section in the left menu

I learned texture pages have a crop. Its something I should have learned years ago since I've been to that part of the settings quite a lot.

T

Timze

Today i figured out how to reduce object count and control things from a master object. From 5 obj's down to one :) Oh ya!

I learned to get a sprite font to not be mono space... you need to put the sprite font on a texture page that allows cropping. After years of having this problem.

T

Timze

Animation -
smears

coding -
disable player input using a var

Amon

Today I learned that there is no ceiling outside. Whatever this outside thing is, it has no ceiling. I don't know what is more unbelievable, the fact that we supposedly live on a planet that is a Globe and not flat or that there is no ceiling outside.

Reactions: Nux
G

Guest User

I learned to use with in a more dynamic way. It is unbelievable how powerful GML is, the more I go deeper into it the more I am convinced that it is one of the best game engines out there.

T

Timze

Took what i learned from making fade in / fade out transitions then applied it to enemy sprites. + c_red.
easy death animation

Well here's a good one to learn, but first let me set up the lesson for you.

GameMaker has the following:
- Change a room via room_goto() and all objects that are non persistent will be destroyed.
- Have a destroy event with an object will trigger the game to do something when an instance of that object is destroyed.
- If you create a sprite or surface, you must destroy the sprite or surface when you are done with it or it will cause a memory leak.

Those three things build to what I learned today.

- Changing a room may destroy all non persistent instances of an object, but it fails to trigger the destroy object event. So if you have a destroy object event that destroys created sprites or surfaces, that will be a memory leak. I had a catch all destroy event with(all){instance_destroy()} and having that before a room change will destroy everything and use its destroy object event before going to the new room destroys everything which will skip the destroy object event.

Today I learned for some mysterious reason, my laptop's integrated HD video adds either sprites or objects where there are no sprites or objects as you will see lines of track being generated:

yet the nVidia card on the same laptop doesn't make phantom sprites.

Last edited:
Z

zendraw

i learned that i have to go thru a whole discorse of game developing before posting on google play....

R

ramses

That you can use Ctrl+C instead of esc to exit Insert mode in Vim! Mind. Blown.

What did I learn maybe a month ago that I had to reiterate?
... never use string_lower() too much in a single step or draw. Wow it uses a lot of cycles.

As for what I learned today...
... Never excessively use a draw_rectangle, draw_line or draw_point when you can use a 1 pixel draw_sprite_ext and just stretch it. Lesser computers seem to have a more limited vertex buffer that will crash the game when you excessively use the former (draw_rectangle, draw_line, draw_point) while draw_sprite will not will not crash the game. It costs less cycles using draw_sprite as well, but with that said, I have yet to determine if it creates a burden on the GPU.

I learned that scaling is horrible, and all screens should be the same aspect ratio by law.
In your case, always scale by 50% Like 1x becomes 1.5x 2x 2.5x 3x and so on, because it sure does look ugly at 2.75x and 1.25x. Full screen does look better though.

Yesterday or the day before I had to relearn what I knew from 2 - 3 years ago to never do stretch to fit screen. My 16:9 game didn't look too bad on a 4:3 monitor. So I kept it as a setting, but no matter how I adjusted the sizes with code, it stayed stretched out until I disabled stretch to fit screen. So now people can play the 16:9 game in widescreen on a 4:3 or they can play 4:3.