• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Opinion What default settings do you change?

andev

I frequently make fresh installations, so I know off by heart which settings need changing. And it suddenly occurred to me... Does anyone else do any of these as well? Maybe to the point it gets changed to default?

On fresh installations:
- All autocomplete speed options = 1
- Remove yoyo button from resource tree
- Disable show news on startup (Running a VM disconnected from the internet, so it always gives errors).
- Disable "remove objects from outside view" why is this even a thing?
- Disable default room grid visible by default
- Set room color to be something nicer
- Set number of backups to 16
- Change transparency tile colors in sprite editor to be way darker

On new projects:
- Disable splash screen
- Disable diagnostics
- Disable graphics interpolation

T

Thunder Lion

I frequently make fresh installations, so I know off by heart which settings need changing. And it suddenly occurred to me... Does anyone else do any of these as well? Maybe to the point it gets changed to default?

On fresh installations:
- All autocomplete speed options = 1
- Remove yoyo button from resource tree
- Disable show news on startup (Running a VM disconnected from the internet, so it always gives errors).
- Disable "remove objects from outside view" why is this even a thing?
- Disable default room grid visible by default
- Set room color to be something nicer
- Set number of backups to 16
- Change transparency tile colors in sprite editor to be way darker

On new projects:
- Disable splash screen
- Disable diagnostics
- Disable graphics interpolation
I turn off interpolate, i make the text bigger amd the icons bigger. I use different font for the menus.

G

Guest User

off the top of my head:

- tick everything to open fullscreen
- increase the autocomplete suggestion delay by a lot
- shrink the default text window size
- disable welcome screen
- get rid of IDE animations
- set workspace chains to 1 and more or less invisible
- set the padding of workspace windows and such to 1
- change the color of all the grids to something uncommon and slightly transparent/dark while setting them all to visible by default
- disable the default text that appears in a new script/event/whatever
- change the default syntax coloring to something else
- disable background image
- move all my docked windows around to something more manageable for a small screen and set that as my default in any and every project.
- remove icons and horizontal separators in the resource tree

i'm sure there's more but i don't really want to go through my preferences and take a look at everything lol. i factory reset my computer every few months or so, but not frequently enough to have it all memorized by heart.

for me, most of the routine set up is mainly just about making GMS2 fit and run nicely on my tiny notebook screen than personal preference. the only things i really change based on personal preference are fullscreen text editors and syntax coloring.