• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

what are your game making goals?

pixeltroid

I've been using GM for 4 weeks now and my first priority is to finish off an "engine" for a platform game. Though I dont know coding, I have something working made by putting together pieces of code from youtube, these forums and reddit.

Initially, I considered taking a few programming courses to improve my gamemaker projects, but then I remembered I've been working full time as a graphic designer for the last 12 years and have a full time job. So its not very likely that I'd be getting into game making for a living full time. I just want to be able to make games and share with people who have the same tastes as me!

My goal right now is to perfect the engine I have and use it put out "finished" games on a blog for free, and be able to list "2D game making" in my job resume. I do sometimes wish GM came out when I was in school; that way I could have entered the "professional" game design industry.

Anyway, guys...I'd like to read about your goals with game designing.

Reactions: Roa
M

MishMash

To Eventually finish my game Vitality :)

... Oh and continue to prove wrong all internet programmers, and show them that GM is a viable engine :p

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
To become the CEO of an AAA game company and make a huge multi-million open world 1st/3rd person fantasy/sci-fi RPG that has a huge 100s hours single-player campaign with huge quests, different combat systems and different multi-player modes. Pretty easy, right?

EDIT: I'm serious! I would love to do that.
EDIT2: Except for the easy part, it will probably never never happen, of course.

Reactions: Roa

Roa

I like all these responses so far lol. I think they pretty much sum up everything in one giant lump sum.

What I want to do is make an online game that captures the feelings about gaming I had growing up. I believe in content and options. My goal is to make a game that can please my boring narcissistic friends who have all but given up on gaming, or to make a game that I don't get to enjoy now. I just hope maybe for as much of my life that I put into gamemaker, that I will be able to make some money off it one day. I'm currently inches away from putting a few small projects Iv'e been working on, onto steam for 2-3 bucks.

K12gamer

To get hired by Nintendo...and make educational games for the NX...
Would also accept hiring from Microsoft.

A

amusudan

My dream is to finish at least one game and publish it on steam, I probably could've by now though. But where's the fun in publishing if you can be dreaming? ^^

V

vamptastic

my end-dream is to make some visual novel programmed all myself.; then kickstart and steam greenlight!;

my short term goal is to learn code,,making pong and small bullet-hell mechanics to learn by now.;

Ninety

my end-dream is to make some visual novel programmed all myself.; then kickstart and steam greenlight!;

my short term goal is to learn code,,making pong and small bullet-hell mechanics to learn by now.;
I'm impressed with your dedication. You're even ending English sentences with semicolons too!

G

Gedor Games

My short term goal is to finish the game I am working on, my long term goal is to make many good and popular games that people enjoy and make a living on gamemaking. I hope that one day my company name will be a name that stands for fun and polished quality games.

G

GhostlyFeline

Short term goal is to finish and release Typhoon Unit.

Long term goal is to continue improving my skills and make better games. Someday I'll make something really great.

...oh, and getting money wouldn't hurt either. ;)

jazzzar

Currently? To get this game Greenlit. Then, to make moderate-to-mad bank off it.
I maybe helped your dream a lil bit , i voted yes for you, best of luck for you, seems like a fun game ;).
For me, my goal is to make money from game making, lots of money,
No jokes here that's my real dream :)

T

Tirous

To die one of the a validator of the gaming median in the public eye!

... and to make games i guess... but you-know whatever. ;D

M

Misty

My long term goals are to capture the adventure of being a woman in videogame form. Unfortunately, gamemaker was made by a man so I'll have to wait until women create a game engine.
So you're saying you couldn't make Metroid Prime 5 in Game Maker?

My main goals:

-Finish development on my Shmup
-Publish on Steam
-Hopefully make enough profit to buy a house and some cute doggies

Afterwards:

-Start development on my survival/strategy platformer game

M

Misty

I could, but it wouldn't be a female-oriented experience.
Are you saying samus is a dude.

And are you saying you are a woman, because logically you have to experience the adventure of the woman experience in order to experience it and create a game based on your experiences.

M

Misty

In that case, youre not making any sense. In Metroid, you are samus, who is a woman. And she is oriented in the 3d space of the game, as well as her spacesuits xyz rotations, so it is most certainly woman oriented.

And as I tried to ask before, are you saying you are a woman, because logically you have to experience the adventure of the woman experience in order to experience it and create a game based on your experiences.

M

Matthew

When I'm writing, I am able to put my mind into any person or animal I please. I just need to surround myself with the proper sensory tools, for instance, a game development environment developed for women, by women.

M

MishMash

In 2013 I had a habit that I download every video I thing is useful from YouTube, Today I was searching in these videos, Almost every GM Tutorial in this folder, And I found a video called "Manta Games.mp4" I opened it and I saw Vitality and I said: "Well, I still watch the live streams". When this game going to be finished !
Hahaha, lol, such a long time ago!

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I remove a couple of totally off-topic posts. A little off topic chatter is fine, but too much ruins the discussion.

It's not fair to members who want to discussing their game making goals.

M

Matthew

I remove a couple of totally off-topic posts. A little off topic chatter is fine, but too much ruins the discussion.

It's not fair to members who want to [sic]discussing their game making goals.
What are your game making goals?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
What are your game making goals?
Don't really have any goals related to game making. But I like experimenting with box2D. Right now, I'm working on some mechanical simulations of internal combustion engines. No where near as cool as some I've seen on YouTube. But I'm making progress.

I'm also fond of soft-body physics. I've got some really fun effects worked out for a blob game. I used them for my "secret santa" game last year. I may release that as a game here.

M

Matthew

Don't really have any goals related to game making. But I like experimenting with box2D. Right now, I'm working on some mechanical simulations of internal combustion engines. No where near as cool as some I've seen on YouTube. But I'm making progress.

I'm also fond of soft-body physics. I've got some really fun effects worked out for a blob game. I used them for my "secret santa" game last year. I may release that as a game here.
Is Box2D the physics engine Gamemaker uses?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Is Box2D the physics engine Gamemaker uses?
Yes, along with an extension to create particles for soft-body and fluid sims. I'm not particularly fond of the 'liquid fun" extension, but it's nice to have.

Box2d has been around for a decade or so. I think it was originally written for flash games. But now it shows up in quite a few other engines (Stencyl, Unity, Construct, etc)