What are Your Favorite Indie Games?

C

Chris S.

Hey guys,
Let's start a free-for-all chat to talk about our favorite Indie games so we can talk about it! I'd especially like to know your favorite Pixel-Graphic / 2D Platformer as well.

Indies Forever!
-Chris S.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chris S.

(I don't bite guys, despite my quirky avatar)

Yokcos

Some ones I like are:

Nuclear Throne, Risk of Rain, Enter The Gungeon, Hyper Light Drifter, FEZ, INK, The Binding Of Isaac Rebirth, Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, VVVVVV, Undertale, Gunpoint, Steredenn, Nuclear Throne, Deadbolt, Nuclear Throne, Terraria, Don't Starve, Desperate Times, Duck Game, Spelunky, Nuclear Throne, Purple, Downwell, Enemy Mind, Audiosurf, Luftrausers, Hotline Miami, Super Hexagon, Nuclear Throne, Nuclear Throne and Rocket League.

It's kind of hard for me to pick a singular favourite.

D

Docker

Some ones I like are:

Nuclear Throne, Risk of Rain, Enter The Gungeon, Hyper Light Drifter, FEZ, INK, The Binding Of Isaac Rebirth, Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, VVVVVV, Undertale, Gunpoint, Steredenn, Nuclear Throne, Deadbolt, Nuclear Throne, Terraria, Don't Starve, Desperate Times, Duck Game, Spelunky, Nuclear Throne, Purple, Downwell, Enemy Mind, Audiosurf, Luftrausers, Hotline Miami, Super Hexagon, Nuclear Throne, Nuclear Throne and Rocket League.

It's kind of hard for me to pick a singular favourite.
Clearly its nuclear throne if you felt the need to mention it 6 times :p

C

Chris S.

Awesome, guys. Some of the top at my list would be Subnautica, Nuclear Throne, Risk of Rain, and Spelunky. I would say Minecraft too but it doesn't count because that's among everybody's favorites.

Yokcos

but it doesn't count because that's among everybody's favorites.
I mean it's still a great game that is, or at least was, indie. Surely it still counts regardless of popularity?

C

Chris S.

I mean it's still a great game that is, or at least was, indie. Surely it still counts regardless of popularity?
Oh yeah, Minecraft is certainly a great game, I just meant if I said it was one of my favs it would be like stating the obvious. :)

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
a gaem made by non professionel peopel so not corporate industry but home or smol team
The non-corporate part I agree with. But non-professional? I don't think so.

Lots of so-called indie games are made by people (including small companies) who do this for a living. It's their paid, full-time occupation. So they are professional game developers, not amateurs.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
then it is sometimes prefesional but just not corporate industry or bigg time companies but the border between big company and indie can be unclear sometimes such as with No Man's Sky where the indie company was pretty big, that game resembled a corporate industry more. I understand where you're coming from with your question. So I reply, there's no clear difference, but there is a general difference.

C

Chris S.

The non-corporate part I agree with. But non-professional? I don't think so.

Lots of so-called indie games are made by people (including small companies) who do this for a living. It's their paid, full-time occupation. So they are professional game developers, not amateurs.
I tell you what, any game you search on an online outlet with an Indie tag on it can qualify. ;)

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
then it is sometimes prefesional but just not corporate industry or bigg time companies but the border between big company and indie can be unclear sometimes such as with No Man's Sky where the indie company was pretty big, that game resembled a corporate industry more. I understand where you're coming from with your question. So I reply, there's no clear difference, but there is a general difference.
Yeah, the difference is blurred these days. My personal definition of "indie developer" has always been people who live from game-to-game -- i.e., they aren't salaried workers who get paid no matter how well (or bad) the game does. And they market the game themselves. If it does well, they make enough money to keep going. If not, well...

**** back on topic *****
My fav indie games are usually Flash and HTML5 browser games. Too many to mention. But I was really impressed by Line Rider for example. Written and distributed (initially) by a Slovenian student named Bostjan Cadez. Fun game and a great success story.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Does Minecraft still count as indie? I mean, Mojang are now owned by Microsoft and have way more resources than they did when they started.
I feel like it's the rare occurrence of an indie game not being indie anymore.

K

Kransky

My absolute favourites would probably be Spelunky, Hotline Miami, Teleglitch, Invisible Inc, and FTL.

C

Chris S.

Does Minecraft still count as indie? I mean, Mojang are now owned by Microsoft and have way more resources than they did when they started.
I feel like it's the rare occurrence of an indie game not being indie anymore.
It started as Indie, and the basic concept of Minecraft dreamed up by Indies is still there, so I'd say it is, technically. And yes, definitely a rare occurrence.

M

MattNJ

I believe the Fancy Pants Adventure series, a web game platform series I like, is indie too.

C

Chris S.

Undertale, MURI, Shovel Knight, Retro City Rampage, Terraria.
Finally! Someone mentioned Shovel Knight! :D Such a great game. You have a great sense of taste when it comes to Indie titles, Alyxx.

A

Alyxx

Surprised nobody mentioned that so far. Amazing game and a massive tribute to the NES.

L

Linkforce

Ohboy, this is a hard question actually. If I had to choose one out all of them I've played, it'd be Beat Hazard. I always find myself going back there whenever I get new music.
Audiosurf is a very close second. Some others I want to mention is Distraint, Hotline Miami, Clustertruck, Savant-Ascent, and Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball.

C

Chris S.

Ohboy, this is a hard question actually. If I had to choose one out all of them I've played, it'd be Beat Hazard. I always find myself going back there whenever I get new music.
Audiosurf is a very close second. Some others I want to mention is Distraint, Hotline Miami, Clustertruck, Savant-Ascent, and Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball.
Aaah yes, Hotline Miami, that's an awesome TDS right there.

L

Linkforce

You seem like the kind of individual who would enjoy Melody's Escape and Crypt Of The Necrodancer.
I do have Crypt Of The Necrodancer, I actually forgot about that. I'm ashamed of myself for that lol. Melody's Escape I've heard of, and been meaning to buy it, but keep forgetting it exists when I have the money.