What are you working on?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by johnwo, Jun 20, 2016.

1. flyingsaucerinvasion

flyingsaucerinvasion Member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    RujiK, studio furukawa and Vether like this.
  2. Vether

Vether Member

3. flyingsaucerinvasion

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  4. sitebender

sitebender Member

Breaks down door!

[​IMG]

I have 20 of them! It's all a process to get better at art. I say this knowing full well I have no avatar.

[​IMG]

Morendral likes this.
  5. trentallain

trentallain Member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  6. flyingsaucerinvasion

Nebulas would be neat, but I can't think of a way around needing each nebular particle to be depth sorted every frame. And then that would cause the star "flares" to need to be done differently as well.

7. trentallain

trentallain Member

What if they were parallax 2D?

8. flyingsaucerinvasion

Actually, that gave me an interesting idea, but it would only work for very distant nebulas... farther than any stars (otherwise the star flares would still need to be done differently).

trentallain likes this.
  9. Lucia

Lucia Member

I made a lot of small games for jams or stupid minigames. Above all with other guys or friends. Now I want to make my first GM full game totally alone! Not so easy, but I want to try!

10. ethian

ethian Member

Currently working on assets for a private game of mine...

I'm also working on that game, too...

11. woodsmoke

woodsmoke Member

Working on a sci-fi game where you fight off invasions with a powerful mech.

PLASMA GUARD
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  12. woodsmoke

woodsmoke Member

Also working on my spacecraft flying game.

RAUM DRIVE
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  13. Crgreno29!

Crgreno29! Member

Wow all this work is beautiful.

14. ethian

ethian Member

Currently working on stuff that can make fans angry, like educational fan animations of Happy Tree Friends where nobody gets hurt, or an I Wanna Be The Guy fangame that is easy and has original, own assets or something else instead of using assets from other videogames.
    Everything without mature themes nor content, but as those stuff of mine can make fans angry, as i told before, i won't publish them all... all those stuff is for my children...

15. BenSunhoof

BenSunhoof Member

I'm currently working on myself.

woodsmoke likes this.
  16. Gzebra

Gzebra Member

Wow, I commend you for your bravery.. No dude, I'm serious! You might have meant it as a sly joke, but I'm serious! ****ing respect! Most people try to escape themselves, and knowing myself, I see why.. Keep on working friend! :D

17. Capptianm

Capptianm Member

18. Binary Orange Studios

Binary Orange Studios Member

Today, I drew up some concept sprite for my main character, and am fairly happy with how it turned out, though there are still some tweaks I need to make.
    [​IMG]

Over the course of the week, I'll be animating him as well. I'm going to keep it simple, so 3-4 frame animations are my target.

Pay no attention to the ground tiles and those "trees" - those were done in ten seconds within GMS 2 itself, just to give my character something to walk on top of/behind. I promise I'm not that bad at drawing trees. :p

19. Bluetail7

Bluetail7 Member

[​IMG]
    Working on a whip

20. ethian

ethian Member

Me and my friend, we're working on... random animated assets...

Temmie Chang's artwork from Deltarune and others inspired us to make them...

21. Niels

Niels Member

I would really like to know how you did the parralax effect, and did you add the blur to the background with a shader or in photoshop?

22. muki

muki Member

All shaders and surfaces. The tile assets in the background are the exact same as used in the foreground. I can't run the game right now since a GMS update broke how I was using surfaces (again), but I can try and explain it anyway with images and code.

There are three tile layers. The extreme background, the middle background, and the foreground. I use a rendering control object top do everything, and render the layers in a back-to-front order. And only the view, not the room. I juggle quite a few surfaces, and I havent worked on this project in quite a while, so I forget some details on how I made it happen.

1. Draw everything in the extreme background to 1 surface.Tiles (using draw_tilemap). Also draw other stuff like slight translucent coloration for a fog effect.

Some other details, like making sure texture filtering is on for the first few steps (because I turn it off later). And you'll notice I juggle between surface_canvas_1/2 a lot. Drawing from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 is a lot safer than a surface drawing to itself. There is also some offsetting that I need for parallax later on, hence the -48 and -24 offset on that one line.

Code:
    //temporarily enable texture filtering
    gpu_set_texfilter(true);

//draw background
        surface_set_target(surface_canvas_1);
          draw_tilemap(layer_background_tilemap,(0-cam_x), (0-cam_y));
          draw_tilemap(layer_back_tilemap, 48-cam_x, 24-cam_y);
          draw_sprite_ext(fog, 0, 0, 0, 3, 3, 0, c_white, fog_density);                //fog
        surface_reset_target();

2. Apply a strong blur shader to the surface. Forget which shader it is exactly, I found it on the marketplace.

This is also where the actual parallax happens. The line with //0.85 is where I'm redrawing the extreme background surface to the middle background, but with a scaling of 0.85. And because I did an offset of -48/-24 to the tilemap coords earlier, it's "recentered". Also, because I'm shrinking backgrounds, I have to make my background surfaces larger than my foreground surfaces, so that the edges of the backgrounds abruptly cut. My view is 480x270, but some of my surfaces are 600x400 so I can have that extra breathing room when scaling them.

Code:
    //apply shader to background
        surface_set_target(surface_canvas_2);
        shader_set(shd_blur_gaussian);
          shader_set_uniform_f(uRESOLUTION,600, 400);
          shader_set_uniform_f(uRADIUS,blur_far); 
          draw_surface_ext(surface_canvas_1, 0, 0, 0.85, 0.85, 0, c_white, 1);        //0.85
        shader_reset();
        surface_reset_target();

3. Draw everything in the middle background to 2 surfaces.Tiles (using draw_tilemap) to one surface, and objects (using layer_script_begin/end and a custom draw event in those scripts to another surface, using event_type ev_draw). I didn't have any objects in the extreme background because I saw little point. Also do the blur and parallax again.

Code:
    //draw middle
        surface_set_target(surface_canvas_1);
          draw_surface(surface_canvas_2, 0, 0);
          draw_tilemap(layer_middle_tilemap, (0-cam_x)+6, (0-cam_y)+6);
          //gpu_set_blendmode(bm_add);
          draw_sprite_ext(fog, 0, 0, 0, 3, 3, 0, c_white, fog_density);                //fog
          draw_surface(global.layer_middle_instances_surface, 0, 0);
          //gpu_set_blendmode(bm_normal);
        surface_reset_target();

//apply shader to middle
        surface_set_target(surface_canvas_2);
        shader_set(shd_blur_gaussian);
          shader_set_uniform_f(uRESOLUTION,600, 400);
          shader_set_uniform_f(uRADIUS,blur_close);
          draw_surface_ext(surface_canvas_1, 0, 0, 0.95, 0.95, 0, c_white, 1);        //0.95
        shader_reset();
        surface_reset_target();

4. Here I redisable texture filtering because I'm about to draw the foreground, and I want those foreground pixels sharp. No scaling or blur here.

Code:
    //re-disable texture filtering
    gpu_set_texfilter(false);

//draw foreground
        surface_set_target(surface_canvas_0);
          draw_surface(surface_canvas_2, 0, 0);
          draw_tilemap(layer_front_tilemap, 0-cam_x, 0-cam_y);
          draw_surface(global.layer_instances_surface, 0, 0);
        surface_reset_target();

There's other stuff after this, such as a color remap shader and vignetting. I remember taking this a few weeks to figure out. And a lot of experimentation. A number of other unrelated things going on, such as adding tile variation at runtime with a script.

I like the scaling method for parallax better than just scrolling, because then I can use tiles for the background.

Obviously this won't work as a straight copy-paste, since there's the create/step events and a myriad of other scripts related to layer_script_begin/end, and because it's been so long, I don't remember exactly how much of it I hard-coded and how much I streamlined into scripts. But hopefully this can give you ideas.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Rob and Niels like this.
  23. Niels

Niels Member

Thanks for explaining! I once wrote a blur shader from Xor's tutorials, but that one was highly inefficient, and not nearly als good looking as your blur. The parallax effect reminds me of hollow knight

24. muki

muki Member

Hollow Knight was my direct inspiration for this!

Niels likes this.
  25. Niels

Niels Member

I read that the parallax effect inhollow knight is direct result of using a perspective camera in a 2D enviroment.

26. Bluetail7

Bluetail7 Member

Testing my speed on a level.

27. Misty

Misty Member

This. I want. This is retro done right.

NazGhuL likes this.
  28. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

I'm working on the best FPS ever!!! :D

Misty likes this.
  29. Bluetail7

Bluetail7 Member

Made another test run.

Sn3akyP1xel likes this.
  30. snowstorm

snowstorm Member

I'm going to make my own 2048 game just to remind myself how it all works. Now I'm thinking about menu design and drawing cats which will be used instead of numbers. Smth like that:

Attached Files:

31. Rob

Rob Member

I worked on my RPG for the last 2 days after months of doing other things. I finally made the text have a typewriter effect as well as using different fonts/colours mid-sentence! It's not impressive by any means but it's progress to me. The battle system is being reworked (again) and this will be the last time, hopefully!

32. Walky

Walky Member

Yesterday I decided to stop trying to justify every single game element story-wise. Instead, I became an evil, omnipotent in-game god:
    testtt1.gif

Bearman_18 and Bluetail7 like this.
  33. Luto

Luto Member

I love it, name of your game and where can i play it please =)

34. Niels

Niels Member

At the moment nothing.. But I still have a project that I need to wrap up, so I guess I'm going to do that.

35. kagiol94

kagiol94 Member

Right now I am working on one project :D

36. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

I've just retaken the Alex Kidd Tribute I started some months ago :D

I did more work in pixelart than programming platform mechanics and now I'm willing to make the whole first level even if I must use the original sprites for enemies.

37. Niels

Niels Member

nothing.. i'm totally burned out on gamedev atm :(

38. Siolfor the Jackal

Siolfor the Jackal Member

Dude, that's awesome!

Curial Lloses likes this.
  39. Sn3akyP1xel

Sn3akyP1xel Member

40. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

[​IMG]

Working on a 3D engine for GMS2.

41. Curial Lloses

Curial Lloses Member

Woah! Directional lights included or fake? Amazing!

The Sorcerer likes this.
  42. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

Everything you see there is real. Nothing is pre baked.

Probably be releasing a basic demo later today. :)

Curial Lloses likes this.
  43. Bluetail7

Bluetail7 Member

Planning to do either, cutscenes, dialogues or level design. I have no idea where to start.

Siolfor the Jackal likes this.
  44. flyingsaucerinvasion

Guess what? More space stuff.

This atmospheric scattering shader was initially based on Sean O'Neil's work. However, I realized that if I took a few shortcuts I could still get pretty good results whilst hugely simplifying the process. I've made it a fragment level effect, and based on a look-up table rather than doing much of the math in the shader. The performance should be much better. I also realized that if I take into account the perspective distortion, I can draw the whole planet as just a single quad, which means high surface accuracy without having a ton of vertices. And thanks to the fragment shader stage depth test that TheSnidr showed me yesterday, it can be used in conjuction with regular 3d geometry.

The reddit page on which TheSnidr shared the fragment shader depth test extension:
    https://old.reddit.com/r/gamemaker/comments/atxv2u/snidrs_voxel_sprites/?ref=share&ref_source=link

upload_2019-2-27_12-13-34.png

a few pics in an album: https://imgur.com/a/pZl1s0X

In case anybody is interested in creating an effect along the same lines, the look-up tables look like this:
    The left side is added atmospheric "glow", and the right side is attenuation of the ground colors.
    The x axis is the cosine of the angle between the minus eye ray and the outer atmosphere surface normal vectors.
    The y axis is the (cosine of the angle between the light direction and the outer atmosphere surface normal vectors) *0.5 + 0.5.
    I'm attenuating the clouds seperately, because they look odd when attenuated as much as the ground colours. I suspect this is actually a problem with "exposure", but just hacking gives me more flexibility artistically.
    upload_2019-2-24_20-53-36.png

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  45. Shiroo16

Shiroo16 Member

still busy with university. but now i'm working on small game like avatar maker for my friend, still learning game maker

46. Changgi

Changgi Member

[​IMG]

Finishing up this board game adaptation of Blockade (a.k.a. Tron Light Cycles and Surround) cause I want to try that out with my online friends

Siolfor the Jackal likes this.