• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

What are you working on?

otterZ

There are some great projects on this thread. Fun to read through.

I've been working on what will be the first non-VR workout game on Steam. Called 'Boot Camp Fitness' which releases on April 16th 2020 [Edit: Is now released in Early Access mode].

Quick demo:

Steam Link:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1163090/Boot_Camp_Fitness/

After release I plan to keep improving this game by adding lots of extra content in future updates, such as a calorie counter, optional workout equipment such as dumbbells, a gym ball and skipping rope, even more exercises, more playlist songs and lots more useful extra content, all from advice from fitness trainers and nutritionists. I really want to overdeliver with this game.

Before anyone asks . . . yes, the red loading bar was definitely influenced by Kit out of Knight Rider lol - guilty as charged :)

I'm using Blender for animations and working with fitness professionals for exercises to include and in which algorithm structure, plus advice from a nutritionalist on what kind of diet ideas to include. Dietary advice is tricky though, as what works for one person may not work for another, so I plan to expand the range of options for people wanting to lose weight (from fat), so that players can try different ideas and find which approach works for them - without any fad diets or unhealthy approaches.

I read that newbies tend to put a release date up that is too soon on Steam, so I doubled the time I thought I needed to complete the game . . . but it turns out that I should have tripled the time lol as now I'm working days and evenings to test algorithms and polish the game. Time pressure gets me off my butt to get it done though, so it's probably a good thing.

Any constructive criticism about my store page set up, the concept, or what extra features you'd like to see in the game, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
It’s really just a vague idea at the moment, especially with a few other non Game Maker related projects currently on my plate, but I feel like I could do some type of short visual novel when I further develop this style of art I’ve got in my head.

170F9443-F5B7-49A8-8A3E-2880FF6D3E57.jpeg
It’s really just a doodle there, not quite sure exactly how to translate what I’ve got in mind to paper or otherwise but I think it will turn out a bit more dreamy or trippy than this, and still somehow manage to get contrast. I guess something not unlike Hotline Miami?

Thing is, after having experienced stuff like Disco Elysium and World of Horror or even Silver Case, I’d like to at least make it somewhat interactive without taking on too much for my first game.

Posho

It's Screenshot Saturday so here's what I've been working on lately:

It's a tool that allows Pokémon players to manage their Living Dex, and it also has a shiny and streaming mode. It allows you to export your progress as images like so:

Screenshot_Shiny_1.png

Other than that, I've been working on random island generations:

Screenshot_13022.png Screenshot_32776.png
Screenshot_47818.png Screenshot_80089.png

Stay safe, bros. 😷

I am currently working on a game named Marbles of Darkness. It is a marble shooter, like Zuma and Luxor.

Huge darkness is about to cover your land (haven`t come up with a proper name yet)! You have to collect various sources of light and then face the darkness to make your land as beautiful as it once was. Also, there are lots of orbs in your way, so you need to make groups of 3 to clear your way. But beware, if an orb reaches the hole at the end of the path, darkness will immediately prevail.

This game eventually has 25 tracks, Story mode with 88 levels and bonus modes.

In the screenshot, you can see the 4th level, titled "Diamond Mine". It is the first level to contain tunnels.
bandicam 2020-07-04 20-11-56-962.jpg

woods

1594530592758.png

a quick note for the wife.. she has been looking at this for three days now

edit 4 days.... ;o)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

woodsmoke

Working on finishing my game Raum Drive. I always thought I'm good at finishing games, but it's really hard this time. There is a lot of boring programming left which I'm not not good at at all. I need to clench my butt cheeks together and just do it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13992

haven't done any gamedev-at-home in the last 1.5 years, but some inspiration recently struck me, so gonna give it another shot.

last few days been drawing a large metroidvania-style map. also putting together slides/documents. basically I want a full macro map with all the zones/objectives/upgrades/pickups, and enough documentation on the style I want to go for, and the mechanics, before I start any of it for real.

I tend to have a bad habit of starting a lot of pixel art, rough micro-scale level design, and effects before I even know what kind of game I want to make. well, this time, I'll start it properly.

MFcoffee

Playing Vampire Hunter reminded me of how much I always wanted to make a Crimsonland type of game, with endless waves of enemies and crazy attacks. Seeing the success of Vampire Hunter inspired me to actually do it lol.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I spent several days installing OpenIndiana (Illumos, OpenSolaris derivative) and nuked several OS's i use for development purposes in attempt to find hardware I own which has the appropriate drivers for graphics and wifi. Either internet or a graphical session wasn't working, or both. I eventually found hardware which worked with both graphics and wired ethernet out of the box, but unfortunately it was one of two of my oldest machines still functional with 64-bit OS's. It only cost me nuking my Ubuntu, OpenBSD, and NetBSD I actively use for day-to-day development, now I need to install them from scratch again. OpenBSD and NetBSD in particular are going to be annoying to set up at ground zero especially, as you get no graphical session out of the box, left with nothing but a terminal and have to install most of the packages/software on your own and do a lot of manual configuring in text files to get wifi and everything else working. Another day in the life of a cross-platform developer.

Technically NetBSD and OpenBSD have a primitive graphical session you can optionally have at install time, but they are next to unusable for any kind of rapid development I need to accomplish, so it is just as good to not have that installed and save space.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I am currently working on a very large and difficult project from my work. It is related to logistics if anyone is interested. It is difficult but at the same time interesting, especially when you and your colleagues go out for a beer after a hard day
Yes, the same. There is a lot of work now and it takes up almost all of my time
You guys are lucky to have the emotional stability necessary to be employed.

Rick101

I’m working on a top-down “defend yourself from the Waves” game, basically you are this little kid tired of having nightmares so in his next 5 dreams he fights the nightmares with a gun until he kills the boogie-man. Its my first game without a tutorial and i dont have a screenshot

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Yesterday I was working on adding support for getting the current working directory from a process ID on DragonFly BSD, which was the only platform my API supports which didn't have that feature yet at the time, due to an OS-level bug.

The official, documented means to do this is to use sysctl() and KERN_PROC_CWD, although it always returns an empty string, even when running as the root user, regardless of the process ID you feed it. Since the other BSD's have this same feature (implemented very slightly different in how it used, though I got it working with those), I figured this is in fact an OS bug. I read the documentation very carefully to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, and I wasn't.

As a work around, the fstat command line utility can do this, so I checked the source code to achieve a non-documented approach, although it has a different implementation for every filesystem supported for mounting by DragonFly BSD, including MSDOS, NTFS, ext2fs, hammer, hammer2, ufs, nfs, and others, thus it was wayy too much code to use for something so small to deliver feature-wise, I saw no justification for relying on that much code for one function call.

In the end, I ended up parsing the output of fstat being run via popen(), and that did the trick as painlessly as possible.

Here is the code I used:

C++:
  std::string cwd_from_proc_id(pid_t proc_id) {
    std::sring path;
    /* Probably the hackiest thing ever we are doing here, because the "official" API is broken OS-level. */
    FILE *fp = popen(("pos=`ans=\\`/usr/bin/fstat -w -p " + std::to_string(proc_id) + " | /usr/bin/sed -n 1p\\`; " +
      "/usr/bin/awk -v ans=\"$ans\" 'BEGIN{print index(ans, \"INUM\")}'`; str=`/usr/bin/fstat -w -p " +
      std::to_string(proc_id) + " | /usr/bin/sed -n 3p`; /usr/bin/awk -v str=\"$str\" -v pos=\"$pos\" " +
      "'BEGIN{print substr(str, 0, pos + 4)}' | /usr/bin/awk 'NF{NF--};1 {$1=$2=$3=$4=\"\"; print" +
      " substr($0, 5)'}").c_str(), "r");
    if (fp) {
      char buffer[PATH_MAX];
      if (fgets(buffer, PATH_MAX, fp)) {
        std::string str = buffer;
        std::size_t pos = str.find("\n", strlen(buffer) - 1);
        if (pos != std::string::npos) {
          str.replace(pos, 1, "");
        }
        if (realpath(str.c_str(), buffer)) {
          path = buffer;
        }
      }
    }
    return path;
  }
DragonFly BSD is probably the most buggy of the BSD's. I don't recommend supporting it unless you are ok with getting kernel panic on a fresh install after booting up for no apparent reason. I'm fine with that, but it's not a pleasant experience.

Last edited by a moderator: