• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

What are the challenges of being a game designer?

2_the_end

I'm somewhat new to game designing in general, and i have a few questions that i'm hoping i can get a response to. I started game maker studio not too long ago and it works great but i do run across the same problems every time. So these are a couple of things i need help with.

1. What the best way to go about designing a game?

2. Should i use GML or DnD?

3. What is the diffference between speed and spd?

thanks in advance for the help.

T

TheUltimate

Welcome to the GMC 2_the_end!

1. That's a really broad question. Because you're new, I would say
  • Start small. A common newbie mistake is underestimating how much time and work goes into making a game. Your dream game should not be the first thing you do. Start with a simple game, like an arcade game or a platformer, giving you a feel for the process before making something bigger.
  • Even if it's a short game, do a design document so you actually finish it. It's easy to reach a frustrating part in development, give up, and start another game. Knowing what you plan on including in your game keeps you on track. Remember it's not all sunshine and fun, it can get frustrating, but it's so satisfying to solve something you've been caught on for hours.
  • Don't be afraid to ask in the Programming forum for help.
  • Once you have something you like, I recommend posting your game in the Work in Progress forum, to get feedback and reviews. Gamedev is more fun with others. :)
2. Your choice. If you're comfortable with programming, use GML. If you're new, start with DnD, but the sooner you learn GML the better. DnD is great for beginners, but GML lets you do lots more and has functions not available with DnD.
3. speed is a built in variable defining the speed of an object. spd is not built in, so if you want to use it, you would need to define it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SyntheticStorm9

I'm somewhat new to game designing in general, and i have a few questions that i'm hoping i can get a response to. I started game maker studio not too long ago and it works great but i do run across the same problems every time. So these are a couple of things i need help with.

thanks in advance for the help.
I would say the "best" way to make a game is to plan it completely and then execute it, but, for a beginner I would do a small expirementall projects. GML has more options and more, um, well, lets just say bendable or customizable options. DnD is a more simple option.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
From my experiences: "Know when to stop". I've ruined several projects by just keeping adding new ideas to them, then either losing interest or ending up making the code such a messy nightmare of last-second additions that it's literally impossible to keep working on it. You need to set a goal for when to wrap up and release your game, and keep that goal. Don't keep pushing it forwards indefinitely, and drag it closer if you need to. A half-finished game wrapped up nicely enough will feel like a finished game, a finished game with some half-finished stuff tacked on will feel half-finished.

D

DyingSilence

Hi there! :)

2. It's your choice really, but the more complex tour games get, the more GML comes in handy.

1. The game design is in my opinion the broadest aspect related to games in the universe. The game designer has so many things to keep in mind, it's incredible a human can be somewhat succesful at this:

There are matter of mechanics, overall interaction, counterplay, balance. That's the most core aspect, after that comes level design, hazard design, tutorial, pacing, juice. You have to think about psychological reactions of the player, indicated by learning curve, interest curve and more. You have to make conscious decissions about the whole player's experience, predict outcomes which your game may cause. An enormous thing, that game design.
If you want to get started, challenge yourself this way:

Get something simple - deck of cards, box of LEGOs - and make up new rules for this simple thing, trying to make it as engaging and fun as possible. It can also be digital, like "player only moves left and right". With this you'll practice squeeze as much potential as you can from a simple ruleset.

Best of luck!

G

gamedev4life

make the the game YOU want to play, the game that doesnt exist that you wish did exists

GML 100%, skip DnD

speed is a built in variable' spd is a custom variable that many ppl use for the same purpose. go with spd for your speed variable. same with 'gravity' and 'grav', gravity is a built in variable, but make your own 'grav' variable instead.