• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows What are Messages saying when loading spine-sprite ?

Michael

I am using GMS 1.4.1767 and spine 3.6.37 professional with Win 10. When I load a spine-sprite I get messages in the compile-window:
3 x "Unhandled spine attachment", and they refer to: "/spineimage=", " "/spinerootx=" and " /spinerooty=".
What is this telling me ? Just an info, a warning, or a bug message ? Should I do anything because of it ?
The spine-sprite with its animations seems to be displayed correctly in the room.

obscene

I get the same thing. Everytime I import a spine image I get about 15 of those messages. I'm sure they are important but oh well... :p

rIKmAN

They are probably new data / keys in the 3.6 json that the runtime in 1.4 doesn't understand or support, so it skips then and gives you an error message.

The recommended / supported version of Spine for 1.4 is v3.4.02.

Michael

The recommended / supported version of Spine for 1.4 is v3.4.02.
OK, I was aware of this. I got the quoted messages when loading spines for some times in the past with different versions of GMS and spine also and thought, it were on the time to improve my knowledge.
Especially, when neither YoYo, who always emphasized their esteem of spine, lost a word in the documentation about this issue nor this topic was ever handled in the spine forums, as far as I can determine.

Last edited:

Tim

Hey guys - don't know if this helps but I think I can clear up a little of what you are seeing with those "Unhandled spine attachment" messages.

They refer to hidden images in your base Spine file. See the image below:

What I am saying is this. If you have an image slot in Spine and *all* the images in that slot are hidden in the base setup (the one you see before you go into the animation mode) then you will get that error.

Also if you hide *all* the images in all the slots - basically making the Spine invisible on a load- then GameMaker will throw up all sorts of errors an improperly load the Spine (at least as far as I can tell).

To review:
- If you have an image Slot and all the images in that slot are marked as invisible in setup mode you will get an error
- You will get one of these errors for each slot with all images hidden
- If you have all your images in all your image slots hidden the Spine will not load properly (weird white box or something)
- you need to have at least one slot with a visible image in the setup mode for a Spine to load and work correctly. All other "Unhandled spine attachment" are irrelevant for that Spine and it should work.

Hope that helps. Mind you this is all based on supposition but my source of knowledge is three years working with GameMaker and Spine and a project with nearly 3000 Spine objects in it. I see that error A LOT. ha

Questions welcome.

-Tim

obscene

That does seem to correlate roughly with the number of errors I get and the number of attachments I use. Thanks!

Reactions: Tim

Michael

All other "Unhandled spine attachment" are irrelevant for that Spine and it should work
Thanks for your answer. Obviously all users who get this messages, including me, have not further problems with the loaded spine, so the messages indeed seem to be harmless.

I tested your assumption about the cause of the errors for a concrete spine and got this:
- In the spine is one slot (not its one assigned image) set invisible.
- Another slot is set visible with 4 assigned images, where 3 Images are invisible.
- Another slot is set visible with 3 assigned images, where 2 images are set invisible.
Loading this spine into GMS, I get this copied and pasted messages:

Unhandled spine attachment
"C:\Users\mgierke\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\GMAssetCompiler.exe" /c /td="C:\Users\mgierke\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_93397" /spinerootx="D:\FUNDUS\gierxware\013_general_dev001\003_john_chibi\body_left\skeleton.json"

"C:\Users\mgierke\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\GMAssetCompiler.exe" /c /td="C:\Users\mgierke\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_93397" /spinerooty="D:\FUNDUS\gierxware\013_general_dev001\003_john_chibi\body_left\skeleton.json"

=> So 4 times "Unhandled spine attachment" for (5 invisible Images in 2 slots and one invisible slot with 1 visible image)
Also it is odd, that 2 times "Unhandled spine attachment" stands as a single line while it is two times followed by a path.
So I think, your assumption targets into the right direction of the cause of the errors, but it does not explain the messages totally.
YoYo should simply add an explanation for this messages to the spine-part of the documentation, as the user should understand the spine-specific responses from YoYo's
developed officially spine-runtime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim

Tim

Thanks for your answer. Obviously all users who get this messages, including me, have not further problems with the loaded spine, so the messages indeed seem to be harmless.

So I think, your assumption targets into the right direction of the cause of the errors, but it does not explain the messages totally.
YoYo should simply add an explanation for this messages to the spine-part of the documentation, as the user should understand the spine-specific responses from YoYo's
developed officially spine-runtime.
Yep, glad to help.

Since you didn't post an image of your Spine setup I can't tell you how different your results are from what I would have expected myself. Just reading about it and not seeing it I will have to take your word. To be clear - I'm not asking you to make a screenshot - it just would have made what you were doing a lot easier for me to understand. I'm not one of the YoYo devs or the bug team, I'm just a longtime GameMaker dev working with Spine daily.

As for exact or non-exact correlations, the basic gist is still the same - slots with no images visible - will toss up that error. If you have at least one slot with a visible image all should THEORETICALLY be well.

From YoYo's end, well, at this point I don't even want to dive into my wishlist for what I would love to see them do with Spine. What they have now is working for us but sure - there is a laundry list of things I think would make the Spine/GameMaker combination even more amazing.

Good luck with your game.

-Tim