• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows What a palava!

Hi - I am trying to update a game which has not been done so for a while. In particular, I want to change the online high score table to a different server (which is like one or two lines in the original program). Of course some time has passed and the latest version of GameMaker is different and displays many syntax errors - however, many of them are of a common theme. I have some questions:
There are a number of messages like "this variable has only been referenced once" - is this an error that stops the program from running? Also why does this matter now?
The program does not like me using variables such as global.HighScoreNames - why is this now an issue? Is GameMaker no longer accepting global variables?
Why is there a section for variable definitions on the objects? I don't ever remember seeing this before.
There are also two errors headed "macro GM_build_date is unused" and "macro GM_version is unused"! This looks something completely new. Is this a message which will stop the program from compiling?

Thanks for any comments!
Alec Armstrong

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
There are a number of messages like "this variable has only been referenced once" - is this an error that stops the program from running? Also why does this matter now?
It is a warning that has been added for your convenience, not an error. It shows you variables you've created but are not using for anything - this can hint at useless code, code you forgot to remove or typos. It doesn't stop anything from running.

The program does not like me using variables such as global.HighScoreNames - why is this now an issue? Is GameMaker no longer accepting global variables?
What makes you think it doesn't like that? Global variables remain usable.

Why is there a section for variable definitions on the objects? I don't ever remember seeing this before.
This has been added for convenience of defining variables and being able to override them from within the room editor's GUI.

There are also two errors headed "macro GM_build_date is unused" and "macro GM_version is unused"! This looks something completely new. Is this a message which will stop the program from compiling?
No. This is merely another warning that something, this time what seems to be a default macro, is not being used.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Is this a message which will stop the program from compiling?
You can check this very easily yourself by pressing F5. If your program is stopped from compiling, it's a message that stops the program from compiling. If it compiles, it's not a message that stops the program from compiling.

What a palava!
Could you like, use english in topic titles to ensure you get appropriate help?

"What a burning" doesn't make any real sense (note that it's the adjective "burning" - I'd give the noun a pass) so I assume you misspelled a hispanic word (not finnish as Google Translate thinks)

1596316810674.png

Thank you for taking the time to help! I normally define my variables in the create event of an object and am miffed + confused as to why the variables section has been added.

DisplayNewHighScoreNameInputScreen at line 442, 38 : unassigned variable GameMode referenced

Is this an issue if it says unassigned variable?

I still get a message "Permission Error: Unable to obtain permission to execute"

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
It is in English, just with a slight error in the spelling. Google "What a palaver"... ;)
Its not any English I have ever heard....but I'm sure there is plenty of English I've never heard 😅

As far as the variables and errors...I'm guessing you have some stuff that is simply mistyped, or it is possible that you added variables that you only typed in once. You should be able to search your project's code and see if that is the case.

As far as the variables in the object dialog...I've never actually used them. I got used to just putting my variables in the create events, and then modifying them either in the code that creates the object, or in the instance_create() event. The dialog is a new feature that does the same thing, but you don't have to use it unless you want to.

Thank you for taking the time to help! I normally define my variables in the create event of an object and am miffed + confused as to why the variables section has been added.

DisplayNewHighScoreNameInputScreen at line 442, 38 : unassigned variable GameMode referenced

Is this an issue if it says unassigned variable?

I still get a message "Permission Error: Unable to obtain permission to execute"
Does your project run or not? If it doesn't run, then you should have an exact line number that is causing you the problem. If it runs, then the errors are simply warnings you can skip. I don't recommend you skip them, rather you should fix whatever is causing the warning, but sometimes they are simply extra variables you never used after creating them.

If the project is actually not running, then you need to say exactly what the error is(and say that it is indeed stopping the game from running either during compile or after it is already running. You also would need to show the specific code that is being pointed at by the error. Then, we can possibly explain what the error is and how to fix it.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I normally define my variables in the create event of an object and am miffed + confused as to why the variables section has been added.
You still can and probably should use the create event. The object Variables window is really designed for people who want to add instances in the room editor then easily tweak values per instance. You are under no obligation to use the system and a lot of people never touch it at all. I've been using GameMaker for years, and my current project is the very first time I've felt the need to use the Object variables!

Yes, this is a problem. It means you are referencing a variable that has not been defined, which will mean when that code is run in your game, it'll crash. For example, if you have something like "myscore += 10", but haven't defined myscore anywhere, then that is a reference to an unassigned variable.

That error generally means you are trying to compile a game for a target that you don't own a licence for. For example, UWP instead of Windows when you own the Desktop licence but not UWP. Make sure you are targeting the correct platform for the licence you have.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You still can and probably should use the create event. The object Variables window is really designed for people who want to add instances in the room editor then easily tweak values per instance. You are under no obligation to use the system and a lot of people never touch it at all. I've been using GameMaker for years, and my current project is the very first time I've felt the need to use the Object variables!
I find the GUI variables the most useful when it's important that every variable is set in unison (e.g. an NPC needs a dialogue string, a face sprite, and a map sprite)... it's completely possible to forget one variable when setting them via Instance Creation Code, but you can instantly tell something's still at its default value when using the GUI variables interface.

Also the "list" option is pretty dope when you have a variable that can only take very specific values.

Its not any English I have ever heard....but I'm sure there is plenty of English I've never heard
I'm pretty sure it's a latin loanword (palaver sounds very french) so it might've been misspelled (and thus not caught by Google Translate if OP is using it to translate their posts from their native language to english?). It's definitely not something I've ever seen anyone casually drop in normal speech, though. "What a pain" would be a lot more standard.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I find the GUI variables the most useful when it's important that every variable is set in unison (e.g. an NPC needs a dialogue string, a face sprite, and a map sprite)... it's completely possible to forget one variable when setting them via Instance Creation Code, but you can instantly tell something's still at its default value when using the GUI variables interface.

Also the "list" option is pretty dope when you have a variable that can only take very specific values.
Oh yeah, don't me wrong. I see the uses of it, I just haven't had the opportunity to use them.

I'm pretty sure it's a latin loanword (palaver sounds very french) so it might've been misspelled (and thus not caught by Google Translate if OP is using it to translate their posts from their native language to english?). It's definitely not something I've ever seen anyone casually drop in normal speech, though. "What a pain" would be a lot more standard.
I stuck "palaver" into Google Translate. It detects it as English, and it showed me the Spanish word "palabrería" which kind of makes sense, as that usually refers to conversation with too much language/words for the point. And yeah, "pain in the a**" is what I commonly hear here in North Texas, USA. I don't think I've ever heard of "palavar" until now.

That error generally means you are trying to compile a game for a target that you don't own a licence for. For example, UWP instead of Windows when you own the Desktop licence but not UWP. Make sure you are targeting the correct platform for the licence you have.
Hi - I have done fixes to virtually all of the supposed syntax errors flagged up. However, I still get the Compile Error.
I have licences for GameMaker Studio 2: Desktop and Web.
Surely, I choose Platform: Windows, Worker: Local, Output YM, Device default and Config: default and the program should compile?!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Do you have a Desktop licence for GameMaker Studio 2? Note, the GM1.4 licence does not apply. 1.4 and 2 are two separate products and the licences are not transferable.

I only have 4 syntax errors showing:

__init_action at line 4, 8 : variable __argument_relative only referenced once
__init_action at line 2, 8 : variable _part_syst only referenced once
macros at line 2,1 : macro GM_version is unused
macros at line 1,1: macro GM build date is unused

The first two are tied to a particle effect - I believe they are setting a variable and this is not a significant issue?
global.__part_syst=-1;
global.__argument_relative=false;

Also, presumably the macro issue does not matter?!

Do you have a Desktop licence for GameMaker Studio 2? Note, the GM1.4 licence does not apply. 1.4 and 2 are two separate products and the licences are not transferable.
Hi - thank you for posting. Yes- it is a licence for GameMaker Studio 2 - permanent.

I am a bit stuck wondering why the program will not compile. My output window shows:

"cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\ajarm\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0631054s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\ajarm\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE" started at 08/01/2020 23:11:42
"cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\ajarm\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0379761s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\ajarm\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP" started at 08/01/2020 23:11:43
"cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.1.4.218"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0359764s for command "cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.1.4.218" started at 08/01/2020 23:11:43
Saving project to: C:\Users\ajarm\OneDrive\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\StrongmanTestWithGMXAugust2020a\StrongmanTestWithGMXAugust2020a.yyp
Saving 2 resources
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.1.4.218/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\ajarm\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows Run

Loaded Macros from C:\Users\ajarm\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\StrongmanT_231D6653_B3012F24\macros.json
Options: X:/bin\platform_setting_defaults.json
Options: C:\Users\ajarm\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\ajarmstron_968\local_settings.json
Options: C:\Users\ajarm\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\StrongmanT_231D6653_B3012F24\targetoptions.json
X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe /preprocess="Z:/StrongmanT_231D6653_B3012F24"
Permission Error : Unable to obtain permission to execute

X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe exited with non-zero status (-1)
elapsed time 00:00:00.6125035s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.1.4.218/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\ajarm\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows Run started at 08/01/2020 23:11:43
"cmd" /c subst Z: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0589627s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 08/01/2020 23:11:43
"cmd" /c subst Y: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0349772s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 08/01/2020 23:11:43
"cmd" /c subst X: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0361079s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 08/01/2020 23:11:43
FAILED: Run Program Complete
For the details of why this build failed, please review the whole log above and also see your Compile Errors window.
Meanwhile, the compile errors window provides:

Permission Error : Unable to obtain permission to execute

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I only have 4 syntax errors showing:

__init_action at line 4, 8 : variable __argument_relative only referenced once
__init_action at line 2, 8 : variable _part_syst only referenced once
macros at line 2,1 : macro GM_version is unused
macros at line 1,1: macro GM build date is unused

The first two are tied to a particle effect - I believe they are setting a variable and this is not a significant issue?
global.__part_syst=-1;
global.__argument_relative=false;

Also, presumably the macro issue does not matter?!
None of those will directly stop your project from compiling. The first two are like we have been saying, you set variables and then never use them. The second two are basically the exact same thing, except for macros.

Once again, is the project running or not? If not, what error are you actually getting at the point where the compile stops or the project stops?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
All those lines can be deleted without any issue to your project as they relate to functionality that you are not using. As for the compiling issue, which permanent licence do you have? Desktop, Mobile, Web or UWP? You can find out from your YoYo Account

Also, try saving the game project, then go to the HELP menu and log out. GMS will restart and prompt you to log in again, so do that and see if it refreshes the licence and permits you to compile.

All those lines can be deleted without any issue to your project as they relate to functionality that you are not using. As for the compiling issue, which permanent licence do you have? Desktop, Mobile, Web or UWP? You can find out from your YoYo Account

Also, try saving the game project, then go to the HELP menu and log out. GMS will restart and prompt you to log in again, so do that and see if it refreshes the licence and permits you to compile.
Hi - I have the Desktop and Web.
I have done as you have said (log out, restart and log back in again, but still the project will not compile!

Hi - I have solved my issue. The Runtime version was set at an earlier version and changing it resulted in the program compiling! I am glad to write the program works well and looks as good as ever!

Thank you for your help! The palaver is over and bonne nuit!

Roleybob

I’m not going to add anything useful but just want to chime in to say that in my part of the world (Suffolk, England), “what a palaver” is a very common saying, or at least was up until a decade or so ago. Don’t think I’ve ever seen it written before though.

Just means “what a lot of fuss about something which probably doesn’t warrant it”

EDIT: apologies, I just saw the post by Nocturn asking that we don’t discuss this any more, sorry

Last edited: