• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Weird PC problem (GameMaker Related)

K12gamer

In my school computer lab I noticed 2 PCs (out of 44) (all identical with identical specs) were
running my GM Studio (HTML5) games in slow motion (Using Google)

Updated their drivers...Cleared Cache...Uninstalled then reinstalled Google...yet still no improvement.

The PCs have good Specs: 64 bit HP Win 7 AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon HD 1.40GHz 4GB Ram

My games are really basic (2D) and can even run well on old single core Win XP PCs (500mb Ram)...

...So I'm not sure what the problem is.

curato

Check for malware on them. If the game isn't running on the local pc then check the network. Change the patch cords on those two computers with known good cables. If you have a formal building network check the runs to the server room make sure they are in good condition and not next to any interference like florescent lights or large power sources (use a cable tester if you have one). Change the port on the switch in the server room to eliminate a bad port.

K12gamer

Check for malware on them. If the game isn't running on the local pc then check the network. Change the patch cords on those two computers with known good cables. If you have a formal building network check the runs to the server room make sure they are in good condition and not next to any interference like florescent lights or large power sources (use a cable tester if you have one). Change the port on the switch in the server room to eliminate a bad port.
42 PCs run the games fine...Just 2 of them have issues. The PCs are connected wirelessly with wifi adapters

Also...the games seem fine when using Internet Explorer 11.
They run okay with FireFox...but studder (pause) periodically
The games also run well if downloaded onto the HD.

curato

I would still check those 2 PC's for malware if you haven't. If it is just Firefox on just those 2 machines might want to try reinstalling it or try chrome or something, or if IE works just use that.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
The PCs have good Specs: 64 bit HP Win 7 AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon HD 1.40GHz 4GB Ram
In the current day and age, that is anything but good. Just a side note.

Since the game runs fine on most of the computers and they are all identical models, GameMaker certainly is not the source of the problem.

Whenever people complain about their laptops showing signs of bad performance, I tell them to clean them (well, that's after I tell them to get a desktop instead, but that's not possible here). I don't mean its storage or anything, but the machine itself. Poor ventilation is one of the primary causes of performance degradation, and laptops usually provide such a cramped environment that accumulated dust represents a major obstacle for air flow, often making it outright impossible after mere months of continued usage because it completely clogs up the ventilation. The results are a partial or total lack of cooling, subsequent overheating and therefore throttling of processing components to combat the heat generation, which leads to degradation of the machine's performance.

That's just my first bet, though. Please ensure that the machines are properly cleaned and test the performance again.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, I would try inspecting the software that is installed (and running at the time of testing) on the problematic laptops and compare it to one that doesn't exhibit the problem.

If there are no conclusive differences, there may be client-side settings which somehow negatively affect the performance of the machines, but entering that territory without having access to the machines for testing would equal taking stabs in the dark.