• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED Weird Object glitch

ww_y

I'm having this weird situation where anytime I put a new object in the room, even if it has no code, it turns into a copy of the player object. I've tried adding code to the new object, making the new object a child of a parent with a different code than the player, I have even tried putting code in the new object to cause a Game Maker error and nothing. It all just gets ignored and turns the new object into a copy of the player object, code, and all. And this persists room to room. I just end up with a bunch of player objects responding to control inputs all at once. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe there's a box I checked that causes this to happen? I have examined every script and every other object around and dont see any code that would turn a newly made object into the player object or even any reference to the player object.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Restructure the game so it's themed around the player cloning themselves... :)

On a more serious note, try clearing the asset cache (Ctrl+F7).

If that doesn't help, does this also occur in an otherwise empty room? If not, make a backup and remove instances one by one until the problem disappears to find out what's causing it.

ww_y

So, it was happening because of the way I was duplicating my project, I guess? I just copied and pasted a project and changing the name of it to be able to tinker with it without messing with what I already had, and it must have still been connected to the original project. I started saving as instead and just renaming the project that way and it works fine now!

Restructure the game so it's themed around the player cloning themselves... :)

On a more serious note, try clearing the asset cache (Ctrl+F7).

If that doesn't help, does this also occur in an otherwise empty room? If not, make a backup and remove instances one by one until the problem disappears to find out what's causing it.
I honestly thought about this as a genuine solution 😂 Even if I know now what how to fix the problem, I might just use this weird glitch as a mechanic anyway!