• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Weird IDE issues, counterproductive workflows, counter-intuitive. GM:S2 is broken and so is 1.4...

DukeSoft

- Double clicking on a room opens the editor. Room properties were not in the left bar. Took an eternity to find out you have to enable it.
- Clicking on another workspace closes the room properties and opens the resource window.
- Trying to open the specific room properties tab. Double clicking on the titlebar doesn't work. Have to click on 8x8 pixels to open it up.
- It doesn't open up. There's a scrollbar shown in the bottom.
- Have to drag window edge up to show properties tab that was opened. Doesn't drag all the way up. First have to drag another tab above it upwards. This closes that specific tab.
- Tried to open up window settings. Again, have to click on the 8x8 pixels instead of double clicking like intuition tells me.

- Open up a code window. Function description is outside of window. Have to drag the view down to see it.
- Cant drag an open code window to the left or right. Have to move view.
- Double click on the code window to maximize it. Doesn't work, have to click on the 8x8 pixels again.

- Loaded up .jpg splash screen shows big white window instead of the splash screen.

- Compile errors dont dissapear while I fixed them. Doubleclicking shows the fixed line. Saving / closing windows does not help.
- Closed the compile error window just to be sure
- Build fails. No compile error window anymore.
- Click on windows -> compile errors. "There are no compile errors to show!"
- Click on play again
- Compile errors show up again. Guess what? The ones i've fixed already.
- Close event that contains my fixed code.
- Open it up again.
- Edited code is gone. Nice!
- Open up compile errors from a different event.
- Close that event as well.
- Open it up again.
- This time it shows the fixed code instead of the old code. Still displays the compile error message.
- Try to get compile errors back as tab
- Will only split existing view of current tab instead of docking like a tab
- Am still getting compile errors. No idea where they are. Game doesn't compile anymore.
- Close the "draw begin" event again.
- Open it up again.
- AGAIN OLD CODE
- Fix it another time. (3rd time this time)
- Notice the * in front of Draw Begin
- Press CTRL+S
- Star doesn't go away.
- Compile again.
- Compile errors again.
- Close draw begin.
- Open up draw begin.
- AGAIN OLD CODE
- Change code again.
- Close GM:S2
- Open it up again.
- Compile error tab still gone.
- Notice the +
- Create new tab with +
- Decide to open up compile error window and drag it in there
- kindofweirdflowbutok.jpg
- Click window->compile errors
- Shows up in half of syntax error tab. Nice.
- Drag to newly made tab.
- Evenweirderflowbutok.jpg
- Run game
- Notice IDE looks blurry
- Press CTRL+0 to reset zoom
- Doesn't work, hold ctrl+mousewheel to zoom out
- Now is pixelly and small
- Zoom back in
- Now is blury
- See the zoom button on top
- wellok.jpg
- Compile finished.
- Again, compile errors.
- Again, changed files have been reverted.
- 💩💩💩💩 this

This is basically the reason I dont want to use GM:S2. But, my game crashes at random points in GM:S1.4. That, and the IDE of 1.4 is slow like hard crap through a funnel (if its not throwing "illegal memory read at 0x0000000" errors / switching up events and script contents). Getting no response on support requests either. My love for GM is slowly fading....

G

Your IDE gripes... it could use tweaks but isn't as bad you're suggesting. But the fact that your code isn't being saved is serious. Has anyone else run into this? I have not. Can you reproduce this in a new project? Have you only seen this with that draw event window? Is it still not saving?

DukeSoft

Well, it was also a lot of frustration from yesterday. But so far everytime I've tried GM:S 2 It begins like "Sweet! Fast and responsive IDE." but it then turns in to "WHY doesn't it work like one would expect?" and i get frustrated (as you can imagine with code not saving)..

I don't think I can reproduce it in a new project, but must say that I haven't tried. As for a percentage it was probably 2 events out of 100 that I edited that didn't save.

EDIT:

As the temper settled, I think I figured out the bug.

Could you try editing a piece of code, _only_ using the search and replace? (CTRL+R , or, if that does't work press CTRL+F and then press the small arrow downwards)

If you change code using just that I noticed using CTRL+S doesn't remove the asterisk in front of the file.

Once I added a newline in my code using enter, CTRL+S removed the asterisk. I think it is saved now.

Luckily, this would then just be a bug within the IDE checking if a file has changed.

Last edited:

DukeSoft

Sorry to hear you lost work. We found the same issue and have already fixed it for the next release: http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=26510
Well, luckily it was just a search and replace and it wans't too much work. Was still quite annoying - but good to see its already fixed, and thanks for the reply here. While we're at it - is the following bug reported?

- CTRL+R to search and replace
- Type query
- Press NEXT a couple of times to find next instance
- Press REPLACE
- Current item gets replaced, query goes back to first result

Kind of annoying if you want to replace 10 items at the 20th spot

P

Pumped about GameMaker

Sorry to hear you lost work. We found the same issue and have already fixed it for the next release: http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=26510
I, too, appreciate many of the bugfixes that the next release will contain. I am happy that you are adressing these kind of issues with a high priority and I also appreciate that you replied so swiftly to the request made by the initial poster.
I cannot help but look forward to the next release with a high level of positive and affirmative anticipation!
Is there an ETA for the next release?

Thank you in advance, kind Yoyo staff.