• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Weird Debugger Issue, Don't know were to look/start.

Paul Green

Unsure what I've change in my code or the IDE, but I can compile my program with VM and YYC, and also create an executable and it builds and runs.

But, if I try to debug anything in my recent version of my project (and I know this because I've loaded up an earlier version, and used the debugger with no issues) it gives me errors that are saying that the/a variable has not been defined (although it's in the create event)

The only solution to this is to add the variables object name to the beginning of the variable.

example

in create I have [in object obj_intro_startup]

passes = 0 [which change in the step event]
blocks = 0 [which change in the step event]
startbump = 0 [which change in the step event]

code that doesn't work

if passes = blocks/2 * (startbump+1)
{

code I have to change it too for it to not chuck up an error in the debugger.

if obj_intro_startup.passes = obj_intro_startup.blocks/2 * (obj_intro_startup.startbump+1)
{

What have I changed, where should I be looking, it's only doing it on this version of my source and I don't fancy rolling back yet, if I can find a solution for this version I'm working on. If there is anything else I can provide [except the source code] then let me know.

edit: this issue was only happened to one object, all the other objects and source/game work with no issues within the debugger, I'm now even more confused. [as I went through the object conforming to the errors]

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DatZach

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Do you get this error when you don't attach a debugger?
I suspect that your deref to obj_intro_startup is in another object. Check your object creation order in the room editor, perhaps you're not creating obj_intro_startup before the object that's referencing it.

Paul Green

Do you get this error when you don't attach a debugger?
I suspect that your deref to obj_intro_startup is in another object. Check your object creation order in the room editor, perhaps you're not creating obj_intro_startup before the object that's referencing it.
No, that is the weird thing, I run the source in YYC or VM and it works fine, only the errors when running it in Debug mode.

Another weird thing is, the object is created in the correct place (order) by the room, and the errors I was getting were referencing itself, saying the variables were not created in the step routine, that were created in it's own 'create' event.

It's very weird.

Paul Green

I don't see "startbump" in creation code.
it was only an example, to try explain what was happening, the errors were popping up from the code that was visible in the initial post, but I've added the 'startbump' just to make it look as real as possible.

gnysek

I think that between this example and your code are some differences, that may be the cause, but it's hard to guess from "example". Try to minimize issue as much as possible (few lines of code), and maybe then it will be easier to find a solution, as for now we aren't sure what you've got in your project.