• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

HTML5 WebGL is Required to run this application.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Hello everyone.

Last I checked, "required" is not a proper noun, so therefore, the "r" should be lowercase. Am I the only one who wants to be able to change this screen to my liking? Without being able to modify it, it just screams "made with GM", which is just tacky, just like in the GM 8.1 days where people used the default show_message skins, kind-of-tacky.

I say we should have full access to modify whatever HTML code is shown when this message should appear. Similar to how we can already create extensions for custom loading bars. For example, custom java script, detecting the current browser in use, and then display instructions to enable WebGL accordingly.

What does everyone think?
Is this worth putting a feature request on?

Discuss...

Attachments

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Definitely worth it, and not just for when YoYo messes up on grammar and spelling. For example, if I were to make a game in language X (not English), I would need to change that whole message to language X.

I also want to give another nudge for exposing the startup function and other runner-level features via an API. When integrating HTML5 games with ad providers and portals, in many cases they require direct access to the "start-the-game" function as a policy (i.e. NOT through an iframe). This is for showing ads, accepting authentication and other system-level tasks that must finish before the game starts. I've looked through several HTML5 games in GMS and know this function already exists, but in an obfuscated form that differs on every build. We often have to hack our own work to get it done.

The main challenge here is agreeing what needs to be exposed and what can stay in the black box --- it's often been the case that developers on the YoYo side and GMS power users don't look eye-to-eye.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Yeah... probably shouldn't be upper case. typo I suspect.

We won't be open-sourcing the engine code. Not exactly sure why you're looking for. If you call an extension at the correct point, your extension code isn't obfuscated, so you can put edits in there....?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

@Mike

I wasn't asking for the engine code to be open source, I was just hoping we could have a "use this alternative HTML code" textbox or something for whenever a game can't be played due to WebGL being turned off. This can't be done with extensions because that "you need WebGL screen" prevents all game code from running, including extension code.

There could be a textbox for this under the HTML5 tab of Game Options. Make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

gnysek

What you like, is just to have a "option" to change this message, right ?

It's probably possible by search & replace in .js file, however it requires to do it every time you export, which makes sense to have an option for it :)

webgl-js.png

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Yeah, or perhaps change the font and colors of the screen. But like @Kenjiro said I think YYG might technically consider that decompilation.

gnysek

At least, this message should be more helpful, as I don't think that most players know what WebGL actually is.
Most of people in my country have problem to distinguish "browser" and "search", so yeah, message should be more like "Your browser doesn't support WebGL or it's disabled in options", so at least they will know that "something with strange name" is not working, instead of "aaaah! Thye require something I don't understand!!!".

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I've already changed the case of the "R", but we've no plans to do anything else at the moment.